Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many eggs should creatures lay at a time?

Original amounts (chickens 4-15, crocodiles 20-60)
Something in between.
Modest Mod's current amounts (chickens 2-4, crocodiles 4-8)
Fewer than that.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: Modest Mod 2.2 - Under new management  (Read 144969 times)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modest Mod 1.2 - All the vital bugfixes, nothing else
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2012, 02:00:58 am »

"Dwarves and goblins build fortresses in worldgen, so you can actually find them"

Ohmygod......

If you wanted my opinion on this mod, i would say its really good, really well done, however alot of the "fixes" just seem to be workarounds, like Kobolds not eating . I still want my Kobolds to eat, giving them the ability to not have to eat kindof kills the reasisim, you know? I am still going to be using this mod 100% of the time from now on, though, good job, iv been looking for something like this.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:03:44 am by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2012, 09:13:14 am »

alot of the "fixes" just seem to be workarounds, like Kobolds not eating . I still want my Kobolds to eat, giving them the ability to not have to eat kindof kills the reasisim, you know?

Actually, the mod dosen't change Kobolds anymore, Toady fixed it in .34

but yea, unfortunatly no one can do anything other than workarounds for things like cities/sites as actual site generation is all hardcoded, it can only be made so that they all build cities.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2012, 09:20:49 am »

... and let me tell you that's not a good option.  IF every race has [DEFAULT_SITE:CITY] and [LIKES_SITE:CITY], you'll be left with a whole bunch of multiracial communities, elven dwarf-kings with goblin generals, and impassable cities on the edges of the mountain.

On the other hand, the leader types like going to the outdoor fortifications, and set up basically a castle.  Plus they're named "Dwarven Fortress"
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2012, 11:52:26 am »

I remember in 31.25 you had to remove all the [PET_EXOTIC] tags from animals to be able to both tame exotic animals, then train to war/hunter status.  As I don't see a mention of this in the features of this mod, I assume this is no longer necessary?
Yep, PET_EXOTIC was fixed with the animal training rewrite.

If you're still trying to setup some reactions based on specific stones only, feel free to grab them out of the mod I made for Genesis and use them as you will.  I have reactions in there which allows you to pretty much build anything from anything and listed individually by regeant type. (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5075)
Thanks, Mechanixm. I prefer to write all of my own mods from scratch, but I'll certainly have a look at how you did yours.

How well what works for me ? The metatags for the options ? You have to shape the raws around them, the easiest way is just commenting out the OBJECT on top, and not single entries in the files. Switching stuff in between multiple files, like my "less solid stones" option is rather complicated, while adding/removing entities is simple for example.
Well, specifically I was wondering about how much work it is to rearrange the raws to fit the metatags, whether there's a generic script for changing the raws or I'll have to write it myself, and how much the metatags interfere if other people try to extend the mod. Modest Mod is, among other things, a base for other mods to work off of, and if it's easy to unwittingly break the metatags then that might be a problem.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modest Mod 1.3 - All the vital bugfixes, nothing else
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2012, 04:40:26 pm »

Version 1.3 has been uploaded.

In the end, I decided to only add specific reactions for milling--if you want a magma-safe floodgate, the Stones menu should be sufficient.

I also did two things that might potentially be controversial: I reduced the frequency of animalmen (they all have FREQUENCY:5 instead of whatever the original animal had), and I added an "Overseer" position for succession games. The position doesn't do anything except flash and determine coin design, although it would be easy to give it a custom sprite if you so desired.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2012, 05:30:01 pm »

Version 1.3 has been uploaded.

In the end, I decided to only add specific reactions for milling--if you want a magma-safe floodgate, the Stones menu should be sufficient.

I also did two things that might potentially be controversial: I reduced the frequency of animalmen (they all have FREQUENCY:5 instead of whatever the original animal had), and I added an "Overseer" position for succession games. The position doesn't do anything except flash and determine coin design, although it would be easy to give it a custom sprite if you so desired.

I'm fine with the animal men thing, but obviously thats preferance, they've just become very common because Toady has added soo many, so I aprove.
Overseer position is fine seeing as it dosen't actually effect gameplay.
and the new version has spesific matterial selection anyway, so once updated, it won't be nessesery anyway.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2012, 02:10:26 pm »

Just a heads-up: Modest Mod 1.3 works perfectly fine with 0.34.09, so I won't be doing a new version for this release.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2012, 02:20:56 pm »

Well, I did write it in VisualBasics, based on the LazyNewbPack code, but zenerbufen writes a different GUI for Mac/Linux, and the DwarfBuilder now uses the same mechanic for aquifers/grazing, and is written in Python. So it is up to you. You essentialy do a remote find&replace in a specific raw file.

Dont know how sensible that is for you mod. I wouldnt mind writing a GUI for Vanilla DF though, so people have some more settings, but that would compete with the Lazy New Pack, and people would have to choose between them. I would rather directly work together with Lucas and add it into the LNP.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2012, 03:01:32 pm »

I know it's possible to work it out from the change log, but it would be helpful if you had a list of everything that the mod currently dose and just edit it each time you change something. It would just make it more accessable.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2012, 03:28:08 pm »

Good point, Meph. This would be perfect for the Lazy Newb Pack. I'll get in touch with Lucas.

As for the stuff that stays in this thread, I think for now I'll just release the "Modest Plus" content as separate modules that you can download and install on top of the basic Modest Mod.

Sure, DaveRalph, I can do that.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2012, 03:36:34 pm »

I already wrote Lucas about that ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2012, 09:45:56 am »

Posting to follow and to say that I like the idea of this mod. Thanks!
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2012, 03:56:27 pm »

I've been looking for something like this for a while. I'll have to set up my fortress for this.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2012, 11:40:51 am »

Just letting you know that I've been having a blast with this mod; it's essentially all the little things I used to have to mod individually.  Great work.

One idea for consideration, though it probably would be 'controversial,' is some workaround for the 'clothing wear' issue.  Hearsay suggests that clothing wearing out contributes a lot to FPS death, so I don't know how feasible/useful some method of working around that would be.  (Since armor will count against nudity in the upcoming release, maybe some reclassification of clothing as armor?)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2012, 12:03:09 pm »

This is a fantastic idea.

Can I suggest we put in a feature request that this mod be a feature request? Basically it become a community raws bugfix for Toady to adopt into the game? It may interfere with future goals he has, but presumably he'd just modify the raws again when those features arrive.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21