Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many eggs should creatures lay at a time?

Original amounts (chickens 4-15, crocodiles 20-60)
Something in between.
Modest Mod's current amounts (chickens 2-4, crocodiles 4-8)
Fewer than that.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: Modest Mod 2.2 - Under new management  (Read 144849 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Modest Mod 1.3 - All the vital bugfixes, nothing else
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2012, 02:18:14 pm »

One of the LNP dudes.
Posting to watch.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modest Mod 1.3 - All the vital bugfixes, nothing else
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2012, 07:53:00 pm »

One idea for consideration, though it probably would be 'controversial,' is some workaround for the 'clothing wear' issue.  Hearsay suggests that clothing wearing out contributes a lot to FPS death, so I don't know how feasible/useful some method of working around that would be.  (Since armor will count against nudity in the upcoming release, maybe some reclassification of clothing as armor?)
That's a good point. I believe Meph stopped clothing wear by putting the ARMORLEVEL:1 tag on everything, so I could easily do the same. It would change the game some, though, making the clothing industry a lot less important.  This might be good as an optional module.

Can I suggest we put in a feature request that this mod be a feature request? Basically it become a community raws bugfix for Toady to adopt into the game? It may interfere with future goals he has, but presumably he'd just modify the raws again when those features arrive.
Sure, go ahead.

One of the LNP dudes.
Posting to watch.
As mentioned above, feel free to mine whatever you like from the Modest Mod. I'm planning to start adding support for major graphics packs sometime soon.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modest Mod 1.4 - All the vital bugfixes, nothing else
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2012, 09:27:52 pm »

And version 1.4 is out! This version introduces the first Modest Mod Modules: extra changes that are a little too ambitious for the core mod.

Current modules include:

Rubbless:
Tired of all that useless stone lying around your fortress and clogging your FPS? Now you can say goodbye to wasted stone with Rubbless, the Rubble Remover! Thanks to our secret formula, Rubbless actually evaporates layer rocks as they're mined, leaving you with a fortress that's clean and smooth.
Warning: Do not use Rubbless if your fortress contains load-bearing pillars of non-economic rock. Side effects may include evaporating trade goods, furniture, and workshops. If you're using another mineral mod, ask your doctor if Rubbless is right for you.

Cat Damper:
Removes [ADOPTS_OWNER] and [RETURNS_VERMIN_KILLS_TO_OWNER] from cats, preventing catsplosion and widespread miasma.

Eternal Fashion:
Clothing no longer suffers wear and decay, preventing FPS loss and worries about nudity.

Pedestals:
Adds a pedestal building so you can put otherwise useless artifacts and masterworks on display.
Note that pedestals are built from the Workshops menu.

Skill Tweaks:
Increases dwarves' skill gain rates for all combat skills (except wrestling, which already trains really fast), plus crutch-walking and swimming.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2012, 11:23:55 pm »

And version 1.4 is out! This version introduces the first Modest Mod Modules: extra changes that are a little too ambitious for the core mod.

Current modules include:

Rubbless:
Tired of all that useless stone lying around your fortress and clogging your FPS? Now you can say goodbye to wasted stone with Rubbless, the Rubble Remover! Thanks to our secret formula, Rubbless actually evaporates layer rocks as they're mined, leaving you with a fortress that's clean and smooth.
Warning: Do not use Rubbless if your fortress contains load-bearing pillars of non-economic rock. Side effects may include evaporating trade goods, furniture, and workshops. If you're using another mineral mod, ask your doctor if Rubbless is right for you.

Cat Damper:
Removes [ADOPTS_OWNER] and [RETURNS_VERMIN_KILLS_TO_OWNER] from cats, preventing catsplosion and widespread miasma.

Eternal Fashion:
Clothing no longer suffers wear and decay, preventing FPS loss and worries about nudity.

Pedestals:
Adds a pedestal building so you can put otherwise useless artifacts and masterworks on display.
Note that pedestals are built from the Workshops menu.

Skill Tweaks:
Increases dwarves' skill gain rates for all combat skills (except wrestling, which already trains really fast), plus crutch-walking and swimming.

Thanks for the release!  Heck, at this rate, there won't be anything left for me to mod in my games with DF Mod Manager; you're covering practically everything essential! :D

I suppose a suggestion to go along with increasing the combat skill rate, is a similar thing for the medical skills?  I usually have all medical skills at 400% learn rate, plus no decay for those particular skills, to offset how slowly and sporadically doctors learn stuff.  E.G.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This was based off of how back in 31.25 things worked; not sure what the state of doctor skill rates are now.  Granted, I turned off all Attribute decay too because at least back then there was mass hysteria of all dwarves inevitably becoming obese since attribute gain couldn't keep up with the super-fast attribute decay. 

Anyway sorry to mutter on again,
tl;dr: Great job!  A+++ Would install again. :D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:31:32 pm by Xen0n »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2012, 11:27:21 pm »

Can I put this into my science mod?

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2012, 01:37:35 am »

I suppose a suggestion to go along with increasing the combat skill rate, is a similar thing for the medical skills?  I usually have all medical skills at 400% learn rate, plus no decay for those particular skills, to offset how slowly and sporadically doctors learn stuff.  E.G.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This was based off of how back in 31.25 things worked; not sure what the state of doctor skill rates are now.  Granted, I turned off all Attribute decay too because at least back then there was mass hysteria of all dwarves inevitably becoming obese since attribute gain couldn't keep up with the super-fast attribute decay.
I personally haven't had any trouble with doctors in 34.11, but that's mostly because they seem to do a good job even without high levels of skill. I'll probably add another, even broader skill tweak module in the next release, with modifications to a bunch of civilian skills... this can definitely be one of them.

Can I put this into my science mod?
Absolutely.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2012, 08:55:47 am »

Why give elves LOCAL_BANDITRY?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2012, 10:39:53 am »

The module eternal fashion is nowhere to be found :(
Great mod or nonmod by the way!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2012, 12:12:58 pm »

Looking forward to using this, as soon as 'Eternal Fashion' gets added anyway! ;)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2012, 01:45:33 pm »

The module eternal fashion is nowhere to be found :(
Great mod or nonmod by the way!
Oops! Fixed now.

Why give elves LOCAL_BANDITRY?
There's no way to interact with elven entities in vanilla (since forest retreats aren't implemented), and it didn't feel right to give them towns, fortresses or tombs. LOCAL_BANDITRY makes the elves send out patrols, giving you a way to meet them.  I believe they won't attack you if your civilization is at peace with theirs, but I'm not certain.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2012, 02:42:40 pm »

Would some kind of farming rebalance be appropriate here? Making most plants take longer and making some aboveground plants seasonal?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2012, 03:17:16 pm »

Would some kind of farming rebalance be appropriate here? Making most plants take longer and making some aboveground plants seasonal?

Well, I hadn't wanted to suggest it here since it's encroaching into "full-blown mod" territory instead of the delicious no-brainer bugfixes and improvements of Modest Mod, but I've had great success with the Seasonal Crops Mod  (Also recommend upping the Farmer skill rate to 400% or so with reduced decay to offset the reduced amount and frequency of planting/harvesting they'll be doing with this mod enabled).

I have never looked back since using this mod; it actually requires a realistic sized farming area and dedicated farmers to sustain a big fort, and makes the first few years a bit more satisfyingly challenging.

I suppose it's worth considering as an optional module, since while I find it a great improvement, it does alter the vanilla gameplay significantly, and not everyone will want that.  I love that Modest Mod is such that there's really never any reason not to install it, unless you've already made these adjustments by modding yourself :D

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2012, 07:11:57 pm »

Hmm, that might be interesting.  I've definitely wanted to do something like Seasonal Crops for a while now, either in this mod or a different one.

On the other hand, I have to be very careful with which modules affect which files. If Seasonal Crops needs to change farming skill gain rates, then it'll have to affect the creatures_standard.txt file, which will make it incompatible with the skill tweak module(s). That's a little undesirable.

I have another idea, though. The CLUSTERSIZE tag determines the maximum size for a stack of plants gathered by herbalism; does it apply to farmed crops as well? A module that halves the cluster size of everything would increase the amount of farm plots needed, and reduce the impact of high-skill planters.

Alternatively, I could use a different planting schedule from Seasonal Crops, ensuring that there's always something that needs planting. Maybe I'd keep plump helmets as a year-round crop?

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2012, 10:24:09 pm »

Hmm, that might be interesting.  I've definitely wanted to do something like Seasonal Crops for a while now, either in this mod or a different one.

On the other hand, I have to be very careful with which modules affect which files. If Seasonal Crops needs to change farming skill gain rates, then it'll have to affect the creatures_standard.txt file, which will make it incompatible with the skill tweak module(s). That's a little undesirable.

I have another idea, though. The CLUSTERSIZE tag determines the maximum size for a stack of plants gathered by herbalism; does it apply to farmed crops as well? A module that halves the cluster size of everything would increase the amount of farm plots needed, and reduce the impact of high-skill planters.

Alternatively, I could use a different planting schedule from Seasonal Crops, ensuring that there's always something that needs planting. Maybe I'd keep plump helmets as a year-round crop?

Well the Seasonal Crops mod doesn't do any skill tweaking, I just add that on for my own sake.   I can get away with that since when using the Dwarf Fortress Mod Manager it automatically merges skill tweaks from all the mods I use.  It probably just makes it easier than it needs to be; I have tons of legendary farmers just 3 years in, so it might not be necessary at all, since I'm using huge plots, which means I do a ton of plant / harvest jobs just a few times a year, instead of just a few jobs constantly through the year in vanilla. I guess if you really wanted to add skill tweaks for it, you could have 2 separate skill tweak modules; 1 regular, and 1 regular + farming tweaks, but I can see that becoming more cumbersome than it's worth quickly... 

Not sure if harvesting / plant gathering stack sizes are related; not that savvy at mods yet :P  That is nice since it affects foraging too, which is also kinda easy at the moment.  If you do figure that part out, I suppose your other option would be to keep the Seasonal Crops planting schedule, but bump up the stack size a bit so that having lower skill levels isn't a problem.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2012, 10:33:53 am »

Looks like the Seasonal Crops Mod really fills the niche quite well. There's probably no need to maintain an entirely separate farming rebalanced here, since it is such a large deviation from vanilla.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21