Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many eggs should creatures lay at a time?

Original amounts (chickens 4-15, crocodiles 20-60)
Something in between.
Modest Mod's current amounts (chickens 2-4, crocodiles 4-8)
Fewer than that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: Modest Mod 2.2 - Under new management  (Read 144429 times)

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
Re: Modest Mod 1.2 - All the vital bugfixes, nothing else
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 10:35:54 pm »

I wouldn't say it goes far from vanilla, seeing as it dosen't add, change or rebalence anything, it's more of a practicality issue.
And I think all the default workshops are hardcoded.

Fjallar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 06:48:08 am »

we need a way of specifying magma safe stone, for masons and mechanics. Or sometimes, if you are in a flux rich area, you may want to have all furniture (and by extension everything else I guess) made from flux because it has twice the material value.
Signed. I currently do this by forbidding some types when making furniture/blocks, others when making crafts, and still others when making stuff that has to be magma safe (actually, I forbid all types but one or two most of the time). But that means I can't make stone crafts and furniture at the same time if I want them to be made from different materials, which sucks. My current solution is not doing stone crafts at all (using horns, hooves and skulls for crafting), and cutting all that excess stone into gems (which can be queued even when the type of stone is forbidden in the "z" menu).
The categories "magma-safe", "flux" and "others" should be enough, but adding "ore", "coal" and "plaster" would be nice, just to be complete.

EDIT: The sane way to fix this would be to specify what the stone can be used for in the "z" menu (I'd like "furniture", "crafts" and "blocks" as the options), like it is done with food already. But that's probably hardcoded.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:55:17 am by Fjallar »

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 08:14:19 am »

You can already specify that everything should be made out of marble by marking all other stones as non-economic in the Stones menu.

I may just be doing it wrong but I know this was possible in previous versions (and thats how I used to do it) but I don't think it is in the current version.  The stones menu only lists ores and flux now.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 03:04:30 pm »

You can already specify that everything should be made out of marble by marking all other stones as non-economic in the Stones menu.

I may just be doing it wrong but I know this was possible in previous versions (and thats how I used to do it) but I don't think it is in the current version.  The stones menu only lists ores and flux now.
Marble is a flux stone. This is identical to previous behaviour. The issue with it is that mircoline or orthoclase items can't be ordered directly, and gypsum and raw adamantine are much too expensive to use for flooring. The workaround I use is giving all of them [REACTION_CLASS:ROCK] and creating a dummy reaction.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 03:20:57 pm »

Marble is a flux stone. This is identical to previous behaviour. The issue with it is that mircoline or orthoclase items can't be ordered directly, and gypsum and raw adamantine are much too expensive to use for flooring. The workaround I use is giving all of them [REACTION_CLASS:ROCK] and creating a dummy reaction.

No, I want them to make furnature from marble only, not reglar stone. And it used to list all stones in the menu.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 03:27:13 pm »

No, I want them to make furnature from marble only, not reglar stone. And it used to list all stones in the menu.

*Facepalm*
I'm such an idiot. Turns out you just need to press tab. (It used to all just be one big list of all stone types)

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modest Mod 1.0 - All the vital bugfixes, nothing else
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 11:14:13 pm »

Gem-cutting is annoying, since it would be perfectly fine if it only affected gems. Ideally, most stones just wouldn't be cuttable, but that's never going to happen outside of mods. I don't think you can even specify some rocks as cuttable and others as not.  ...

I'm trying to figure out how to do just this, any suggestions will be appreciated.

This irritates me to the point of going back to 31.25 and I haven't even had the pleasure of deciding whether vampires are too much fun yet.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2012, 02:30:58 pm »

Actually, now that I think about it, you could keep regular stones from being cut by removing all of the STONE_SHAPE tags from entity_default.txt.  I don't think I'd do that in the basic Modest Mod, since it's clearly Toady's intention that you be able to cut regular stones, but I'd definitely do it for Modest Mod Plus.  Ditto for adding new workshops for specialized masonry work.

Also, the poll results are getting interesting.  Looks like opinions are actually pretty split on the skill rates issue.  Maybe I should get started on Modest Mod Plus sometime soon.

Question: For the people who do want the skill rate changes, what else would you like in the Plus version? The stonecutting and workshop fixes? Non-adopting cats? An Overseer noble? Pedestals? Expanded animal interactions? I'm not sure yet how much freedom I should allow myself for Plus... heck, I might end up with a Plus-Plus version, or a pick-and-choose interface thing like Masterwork.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 12:01:55 am »

I've tried removing all of the stone shape tags from default entities then making a new world and non-gems are still listed for cutting.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2012, 06:24:31 am »

I'm not sure yet how much freedom I should allow myself for Plus... heck, I might end up with a Plus-Plus version, or a pick-and-choose interface thing like Masterwork.

I would deffinatly go for a pick-and-choose interface if possible, for example I would like the spesific-stone-workshops, but not the skill rate modifiers.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 11:40:15 am »

Mek42, what happens if you actually try to cut non-gems? Do you just end up with generic "cut <stone>"?

The pick-and-choose interface feels like it could get complicated, and hard for other people to expand on. I remember looking through Masterwork's raws, seeing all the annotations for the various options, and having to spend quite a while tracking all the changes to figure out how they worked. I'll give Meph a shout and ask how well it works for him (or if you see this, Meph, let me know).

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2012, 07:21:07 pm »

This is a very nice mod, downloading!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 07:44:20 pm »

How well what works for me ? The metatags for the options ? You have to shape the raws around them, the easiest way is just commenting out the OBJECT on top, and not single entries in the files. Switching stuff in between multiple files, like my "less solid stones" option is rather complicated, while adding/removing entities is simple for example.

Anything I can help with ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2012, 07:52:25 pm »

Hey all...

If you're still trying to setup some reactions based on specific stones only, feel free to grab them out of the mod I made for Genesis and use them as you will.  I have reactions in there which allows you to pretty much build anything from anything and listed individually by regeant type. (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5075)

It's been about 6 months since I've played and I don't remember everything that's in there...  I do remember, though, that it's a ton of stuff.

Good luck and happy Dwarfing.

-Mechanixm

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2012, 02:02:19 pm »

Not sure if this is the right place to ask...

I remember in 31.25 you had to remove all the [PET_EXOTIC] tags from animals to be able to both tame exotic animals, then train to war/hunter status.  As I don't see a mention of this in the features of this mod, I assume this is no longer necessary?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21