Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many eggs should creatures lay at a time?

Original amounts (chickens 4-15, crocodiles 20-60)
Something in between.
Modest Mod's current amounts (chickens 2-4, crocodiles 4-8)
Fewer than that.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Author Topic: Modest Mod 2.2 - Under new management  (Read 144965 times)

CryptoCactus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modest Mod 2.1 - Now with graphics support!
« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2014, 03:11:47 pm »

UPDATE. Last one, really this time. :P

I accidentally left a tag in the raws from something I was experimenting with, which was resulting in butchery results of " partial remains" instead of bones.

Fixed.

If any of you are currently playing and want to fix it without restarting, just go to data/save/[region]/raw/objects, open material_template_default.txt, and delete the LAST line under BONE_TEMPLATE (the BUTCHER_SPECIAL etc). Viola, no more " partial remains". And do the same in your normal raw/objects folder as well.
[REFERENCE]Creature Errors - Starvation, immortals, unbreedables, pet problems:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136374.0

My unofficial Modest Mod update:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105871.msg5021367#msg5021367

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 12, 2014, 05:50:12 am »

I'm not sure about this but shouldn't giant arthropods like Giant Cave Spiders or Giant Desert Scorpions be able to lay eggs?

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 18, 2014, 01:21:55 pm »

I don't know if this has already been reported, but I found the solution to the "my cattle keep dying" bug:

Modest Mod changes all grass to one single grass:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The problem is that not all BIOME's are represented under that listing, so any biome not there doesn't regrow grass. To fix this problem, remove the following lines:

[BIOME:GRASSLAND_TEMPERATE]
[BIOME:SAVANNA_TEMPERATE]
[BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TEMPERATE]
[BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE_FOREST]

and replace with:

[BIOME:ANY_GRASSLAND]
[BIOME:ANY_SAVANNA]
[BIOME:ANY_SHRUBLAND]
[BIOME:ANY_FOREST]
[BIOME:ANY_WETLAND]

and if you want grass in you deserts, add: [BIOME:ANY_DESERT]

ToadChild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 25, 2014, 01:44:51 am »

Thanks for putting this mod together, Igfig, and thanks CryptoCactus for updating it. I downloaded it this evening and look forward to trying out a slightly less buggy DF until the next release is out.

Quick question, though.  Does your version include the optional modules that Igfig's original post and the Readme reference?  Rubbless, etc.  I don't see them anywhere, so I'm assuming they were not included.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:58:20 am by ToadChild »

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 30, 2014, 09:09:43 pm »

Hi everyone, I'm back. CryptoCactus, thank you so much for keeping this updated!

Since we're about to get an entirely new version of DF sometime soon, I figured I should probably put together a final, definitive version of the Modest Mod for 0.34. Over the next few days, I'll be going through all of Crypto's changes (and any other changes proposed in the thread but not yet added) and adding most of them to the main codebase. (I'll discuss the exceptions below.)

In addition, when DF2014 comes out, the Modest Mod will be undergoing some major changes. The main one is that I'll be adding a GUI, much like LNP and Masterwork, to let you tweak the Modest Mod's settings to better suit your needs. For example: there'll be a slider for clutch sizes,  ranging from the original values to one egg per clutch, which should finally resolve the egg debate once and for all. It'll also make it much easier to install modules, and there won't be any problems with compatibility between modules that modify the same files.

Okay, so here are the things that CryptoCactus changed that I'm not planning to keep. Feel free to try and persuade me otherwise if you disagree:
  • Tweaked skin/body SPEC_HEAT values back to real-world values: I set the values much lower than they should be, because DF models heat exchange poorly. If you get set on fire or fall into lava, realistic values will cause you to bleed to death or drown instead of burning or melting like you actually would in that situation. I figure that feeling right is more important than strictly accurate numbers in this situation.
  • Removed PEARL from FEATHER_TEMPLATE: The reason I added the PEARL token was so that it would be possible to decorate objects with feathers. Giving feathers LEATHER or YARN or SILK or something else that might make more sense doesn't work, because the reactions for decorating with those expect a SKIN_TANNED, THREAD, or CLOTH item type, and feathers are CORPSEPIECEs. The other options are to treat feathers as HORN, SHELL, SCALE, TOOTH, or BONE, or to add a reaction to convert feathers into a more usable form (which runs the risk of people making armour out of feathers).
  • The "More leather mod" by Sackhead: I think this is just barely too much of a change to qualify as French vanilla. I'll put it in a module instead.

EDIT: Also, what's the deal with the DFHack files in the unofficial patch download? I don't really use DFHack myself, so I don't know what those files' purpose is.

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 01, 2014, 08:18:29 pm »

DFHack uses scripts for various purposes, the most practical of which being bugfixing and UI improvements. I guess a final Modest Mod with a complete DFHack environment would be the ideal French Vanilla DF.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 03, 2014, 09:56:20 am »

Right, but the MMUP has just dfhack.init, hack/plugins/growthfix.plug.dll, and nothing else. DFHack isn't mentioned at all in the readme, so I don't know whether these are there for compatibility with a binary patch, as a useful feature, or just as an accident.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #277 on: July 03, 2014, 10:20:17 am »

growthfix fixed a major vanilla DF bug, which makes all fortress born creatures not use their actual bodysize. It runs automatically in the background if dfhack is active, and does not interfere with any other scripts or patches you made.

I dont know if you have seen it by now, but I also made this version of your mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117954.0 I made accelerated DF to get maximum FPS out of vanilla DF, and merged it with modest mod at some point, offering people the FPS increase together with your bugfixes.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 04, 2014, 07:23:55 pm »

Hey Igfig, glad you're prepping a final version.

Have you included changes to skull thickness or bone density? I saw some discussion on page 12, but didn't see any references in the change log.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 05, 2014, 12:46:10 pm »

Posting to watch.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 05, 2014, 02:20:58 pm »

Ah, thanks for the explanation, Meph.

I did see the Accelerated Modest Mod! If I remember correctly, I left just around the time you released it, and then spent months thinking "I should really go back just for a moment and tell Meph I think it's a great idea." Because it is, it's a great idea. I'll probably also need to talk to you about the GUI—I'll want to make sure the Modest Mod and Accelerated DF GUIs are compatible.

Haven't done anything with the bones yet, but I'll add that to the list! I'll have to go through the thread again and make sure I haven't missed anything else.

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 05, 2014, 05:51:32 pm »

When you release a final version, please binpatch it like CryptoCactus did. As far as I know he's the only one who took the time to make an executable with all the known binpatches together, and it saves a lot of time. A dfhack environment would be nice (because of the further performance tweaks, bugfixes and other additions that really follow the spirit of French vanilla) but not as important.

Also as someone else said, I think giant insect-like animals such as GCS or giant scorpions should lay eggs instead of just breeding viviparously. The number of eggs should be at your discretion.  :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #282 on: July 05, 2014, 06:32:47 pm »

As far as I know he's the only one who took the time to make an executable with all the known binpatches together, and it saves a lot of time.
*cough PeridexisErrants starter pack, *cough Masterwork.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 05, 2014, 11:46:24 pm »

Is there a reason people don't just enable the binpatches in dfhack.init?

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 06, 2014, 01:06:58 pm »

*cough PeridexisErrants starter pack, *cough Masterwork.

I'm not sure those were ever patched together in an executable, apart from the last one which I know PE uses.
Dwarven caravan brought silver crossbow, ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED ignored in world gen         http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3759
Vermin can only escape from artifact animal traps                                 http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6117
Fish in aquariums interfere with vermin behavior checks                              http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6116
Military dwarves turn off all of their labors when becoming heroes                     http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3100
Diplomats don't bring bodyguards                                             http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5854
Underground lake, despite having fish, is always reported as "there is nothing to catch"   http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5703
Weight fraction not considered when calculating weapon velocities                     http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6364
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21