Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vulgaritybelled, a Masterwork fortress  (Read 2145 times)

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vulgaritybelled, a Masterwork fortress
« on: June 20, 2013, 09:32:29 pm »

Just a story, I'm absolutely the least skilled Dwarf fortress player who knows how to play, so if you want to suggest something, make sure it is either simple, or explain how to do it.

Utilities used:
Dwarf Therapist, to prevent myself from going Stark Raving Mad.
Quickfort, mostly for digging out large sections.

Without further ado, here comes the first section.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vulgaritybelled, a Masterwork fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 09:49:12 pm »

--Diary of Od Roofsear, Expedition leader--

I don't know what exactly was going through King Kiror's mind when he decided that an outpost should be built here. We arrived on this nearly treeless waste of space not twenty minutes ago. There isn't a hill in sight!

Luckily, there should be only one point of attack, should the goblins decide to attack. A river protects us from the south, and the ocean to the west and north. I have designated that stairs should be dug and a floor be dug out underneath the beach sand. Hoping to find sand underneath, I find rock. Shale is everywhere. There is hope, however, for there is sand on the southern wall of this floor. I shall dig it out, and there is where I will set up our first farms.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 10:13:33 pm »

--Diary of Od Roofsear--

First Hematite, 126 AH

Well, things have gone pretty well. We have our first workshops set up, and I have told all dwarves with stonecrafting abilities to start making stuff to trade with all this shale we have laying around. the miners are set to digging out a storage compartment, where we can place all of our goods. I am anxiously awaiting the next migration wave, as we have need of a furnace operator to start churning out charcoal and ash. A bridge has been built across the river so that my carpenter might be able to gain access to the trees across it, which he has taken to with vigour.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 10:49:19 pm »

--Limestone 1, 126--

I have determined that since this is all in one book, I do not need to put my name on the top of every entry. While the new migrants found me two people capable of woodburning, the charcoal being produced is useless until we strike ore. The metal, according to the advance prospecters we sent, is deep underground. I, personally, am beginning to doubt their claims, but have ordered continued digging. A few relics were discovered, and we are awaiting the building of a Stonecutter's workshop so that barrels may be produced for the Archaeologist to use. However, I have absolutely no bleeding idea how they are used. Don't you just need a table to work at?

Anyways, everything else seems to be going fine. Crafting has begun, and the plump helmets we planted in the Spring should be coming out soon.

I'm gonna go back to work, so that perhaps we can find some metal.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:28:34 pm »

--Melbil Imageoiled, stone crafter--

Moonstone 1, 126

I am now the expedition leader of this sorry bunch of dwarves. Only one day after recording the mandatory seasonal records the King requires of all leaders, Od stepped outside to bring some wood to the stockpiles, along with 7 others, who were ambushed by a forest spider. I survived, along with one miner and our wood burner. Ablel is truly living up to his last name of Dreadfulimages, throwing tantrums deep in the mines every so often. thankfully, all she does is go up a floor, throw a rock, and then go back to mining. She has calmed down over the last two months, so I hope that her tantrums are over.

We have had great fortune in a large vein of copper she struck into just recently. The smelter has been running non-stop, producing copper for the fort. Once this vein is mined out, I will order another four exploratory mining sections to be dug out adjacent to that probing section, in hopes of striking another vein. Once an anvil has been made, a forge will be set up to run out some weaponry and armor.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 11:53:25 pm »

This diary entry has been engraved upon a copper bar.
Granite 1, 127

Happy New Year from Detgashrith! 

A strip mining project has been in the works to gain more copper, so much copper has been dug out that we will probably begin minting the first coins once we have made a set of armor for ten dwarves from the stuff. Our kingdom, which has been lacking a currency, will finally have a true economy. We are still in need of a mason, but we should find a peasant in the next migration who can be assigned the duty.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 12:38:15 am »

--Hematite 1, 127--

A large group of dwarves migrated to the fortress, bringing our number to 33. I have enlisted three of them into a militia. The elves came this season. They have apparently found mithril, and I traded to them for some weapons that our militia can use. I'm commissioning two of every weapon type to be made in copper, as well, allowing a variety of choice among our military. There are still no gems to be seen, but the strip mining project is nearly complete, so we might find gems in the next layer.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:56:24 am by sculleywr »

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 12:59:31 am »

Limestone 1, 127

Another uneventful season passes, our hunter is keeping the surface clear of possible threats from wildlife. I have created possibly the greatest mug ever made. It's completely useless as far as the other dwarves are concerned. Never mind, I'll use it for my personal tea collection.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 01:27:18 am »

Moonstone 1, 127

This winter finds us having fended off a few goblin snatchers. Aside from that, absolutely nothing of note happened. I traded for wood from the dwarven caravan, and am requesting even more wood. We are still working on copper mining. The deposits are rich here, and with metal as scarce as it is, we need all of it that we can get.