Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 151647 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 09:33:10 pm »

I just want to add as an OOC note how amazed I am with the results now that DF is drawing dwarves from world populations.  Since posting this update I've been going back through legends mode and reading the history of this family.  All these dwarves have detailed backstories.  Morul is ancient and appears to have helped General Reg found a few moutainhomes.  Alath fought alongside her husband in the war of 39.  He died there, and was later reanimated by a necromancer who is still at large.  Her daughter was born that same year - not sure if it was before or after the war - and she's been raising her alone ever since.  Cog Agasob narrowly escaped injury in the same titan attack that crippled the Queen's left hand.  And Erush is a kid who has never seen war or megabeast attack, he only knows battle from stories his relatives no doubt bore him with at family reunions.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Phenixmirage

• Bay Watcher
  • Weak vs. Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 10:09:43 pm »

Enjoying the story so far. You're really churning these updates out fast! :)

Just one complaint: you keep calling Phenix a 'he'.  :P

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 07:23:11 am »

Sorry!  I wrote that last update late and tired.  I've gone back and corrected it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Phenixmirage

• Bay Watcher
  • Weak vs. Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 08:59:20 am »

S'ok, I understand that late & tired happens.  ;D

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 08:07:14 pm »

Cilob's Journal

Ha ha, I've been a fool.  When General Reg threatened my expedition with doom if I didn't get her what she wanted, I thought she'd merely cut off supplies and immigrants.  But reviewing the group that arrived yesterday, what do I have?  A veteran soldier from the old days, a celebrated hero of the war of '39, and a family of loyalists.  She's sent them to keep an eye on us, and make sure we come through.

When life gives you microcline, you make mugs.  I can put these spies and soldiers to good use.  That old veteran hammerdwarf, she's perfect to be our militia commander.  She also has some experience with running a furnace and a smithy, so I can put her to work making herself some steel for armor and weapons.  The younger window veteran will be our sheriff.  I'll see that Phenix makes her an office.  The married couple are becoming miners and masons, put to work for Phenix.  I'm sure she'll be happy to have someone working for her.  That arrogant young clothier, he can be a hauler until we're ready for him to make clothing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"And then once we catch some, the giant birdy-birdies can stay here and be our friends forever!"

(sigh) "That's the idea, Corai.  Once Cilob tames them."

"Yay!  We're friends too, right Fishy?"

"Sure are, Corai."

Cilob's Journal

13th Malachite

The first batch of sweet pod have ripened!  While they're not quite my favorite, they do remind me of home, and if we can get some syrup roasts cooked up for the fall they'll sell well to any traders who come by.  I've asked Argel to set up a workshop and start processing them into syrup.

5th Galena

The summer is settling into a quiet routine.  Fishybang has been doing a remarkable job of getting workshops set up and building more cage traps.  Phenix is still mining out bedrooms.  I've claimed the second one that was ready.  I would have claimed the first, but that old veteran hammerdwarf called it first, and gave me a bit of a look when I tried to claim it as expedition commander.  Phenix also had to change her mining layout a bit when some of the stone was a little too damp.  I told her to go ahead and keep mining, but she called me a reckless fool and declared that entire room off-limits.  That married couple has been put to work.  The lady is learning to use a pick.  Phenix says she's not very good, but is learning.  The fellow has been making doors, and has actually managed to figure out how to make them swing on hinges without falling over or getting stuck now.

OOC note - the dwarves of this immigration batch are still open for claiming.

We have the 135 year old veteran hammerdwarf militia captain, the young window marksdwarf hero of the war against the elves, her nearly-adult daughter, the young arrogant clothier, the married couple, and their four children.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:13:19 pm by Sphalerite »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 08:23:03 pm »

Your capturing me pretty well, nice.

-Diary of CoraiUnki, Entry One-

Hi diary! I decided that since im in a new home, with new friends, people may want to hear! So here it is! But of course your gonna know everything I write! Dont tell anyone! Hee!

Well I saw a couple Giant birdie birdies, and everyone I told called me a "Nut ball elf-loving kobold" until I told Fishybang. I didnt ask what a "nut ball elf-loving kobold" meant, but I probably will later. I bet it means "Sack of Rock Nuts being carried by a elf-trader with a adoreable kobold pup in the background" which means adorable. Im adorable! I also got to make some cages and cut wood. I felt bad for the trees. But they got to become beautiful art! Although I cant say I havent gotten some blood on them from hammering my hand, I told everyone it was paint though, dont tell anyone though diary! I hope that we also get to find a few kobolds, there so tiny and cute, with there little dog-snouts! I tried to hug one back at the mountainhomes, but it tried to tickle me with a copper stick! Silly thing. I wont get into that though. Well, thats the end of the first entry in you diary! Byeeeee!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 08:23:14 pm »

XD I love how you portray me its so like me IRL ;D
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 09:01:54 pm »

Cilob's Journal.

Autumn has arrived.  You can tell because it stopped raining.

A flock of those damn giant birds flew right by our workshops, and managed to completely avoid the line of cage traps Fishybang set out.  Damn things.  I've ordered a second line of traps built.

Phenix, along with her two assistants, has actually managed to dig out all the bedrooms and offices!  I'm impressed with her speed. We still need furniture for them all, but we should have everyone with proper rooms soon.  I'll ask her to dig out some workshop area next, so we can move the workshops down from the surface.

"Hey there, Clothier!"

"The name's Erush!  I didn't have to come out here, you know.  I'm a genius.  Best clothing designer in the mountainhomes."

"Er, yeah.  Whatever you say.  Maybe I'll let you make some ropes and bags later.  But for now, Since we don't have any need for clothing, how about making some charcoal so we can start smelting iron?  Your aunt can show you how."

"Sure, whatever."

25th of Limestone

Some more migrants have arrived.  Three adults and three children.  And I should have known, they're greeting that clothier like he's family.  It's a damn family reunion out there.

When I finally managed to break up the hugs and cheerful greetings and get some information out of them.  Turns out that this was all a family group that got seperated.  The only one of them that's any use is a lady with some experience with gems.  She'll be thrilled to see the cluster of rubies Phenix just found while carving out workshop space.

She's also the brother of that useless clothier.

There's also a married couple.  The fellow claims to be a fish cleaner, as if we don't have enough of those already.

The lady says she knows how to milk animals.

I had to tell her we had no plans for a dairy farm.  She snapped at me angrily.  What did she expect?  Doesn't anyone even try to learn about the fortress they're going to before they head out?  Are the mountainhomes that crowded?

And of course these two are both already related to the growing family we've got here.  She tried to explain the links of the family tree to me, till my eyes glazed over and I had to excuse myself.  Crowded and inbred the Mountainhomes are, I don't know how anyone keeps the family trees straight.

Final note-

It just occurred to me that CoraiUnki and Fishybang are spending a lot of time together lately.  I wonder what's up with that?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 09:06:09 pm by Sphalerite »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 09:12:18 pm »

.........I FEEL ODD NOW.
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 09:35:04 pm »

.........I FEEL ODD NOW.

No kidding :P
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 09:48:04 pm »

I can imagine Corai and Fishybang on there first date.

"Hey Co-"

"BIRD"

"Hey Co"

"FISH"

"..."

"Yes?"

"Well I just wanted to say-"

"GIANT BIRD-FISH!"

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 10:39:48 pm »

I can imagine Corai and Fishybang on there first date.

"Hey Co-"

"BIRD"

"Hey Co"

"FISH"

"..."

"Yes?"

"Well I just wanted to say-"

"GIANT BIRD-FISH!"

Our Children would be the weirdest children ever :D

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 10:54:09 pm »

Oh god.

"Hey Corai the II"

"HI FRIEND LOOK WHAT I MADE ITS A PRETTY BIRD, MOM GOT HUGGED BY IT, BUT NOW SHES TAKING A NAP. SHE SPILLED A JUICE BOX TOO, BUT ITS RED."

"Okay....Okay.....the only sane person in my family is dead.....please let those goblins get here soon"

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 11:00:55 pm »

Cilob's Journal, 9th of Sandstone

Phenix struck a vein of Microcline while digging out the bedrooms.  Nobody wants furniture made out of the stuff, so I've told the jeweler to practice carving it like gems for a bit.  She says she'd rather work on the olivine we also dug out, so I'll let her work on that too.

Young Dakost Mozibducim has come of age!  Seems her mother planned it this way, so she'd start her adult life at our new fortress.  She still isn't sure what she wants to do for a living yet, and I don't have any pressing need for her yet.

She does seem to be setting in well here.

Now that our 'genius' clothier has figured out how to make charcoal, I've told Phenix to dig out some more of the magnetite.  She didn't jump to this as quickly as I'd like.  Seems the magnetite is in the middle of an aquifer, and she's scared of flooding the entire lower chambers.  She insisted on installing walls and doors to halt any flooding if someone accidentally digs too far and breaches the aquifer.

Far too cautious, if you ask me.

I have also asked Fishybang to set up a trade depot.  General Reg is going to be sending someone by the end of the year to check on our progress, so I might as well make them feel welcome.

CoraiUnki was happily cutting wood to make beds in his new carpentry workshop.  Cilob had insisted on moving the workshops down into the new stone hall as soon as there was room.  Corai missed watching his birdie friends fly past while he was working, but the mechanics workshop where Fishbang sometimes worked was right across the hall, which was nice.

Cilob had told him they'd need lots of beds, with all the children arriving.  For some reason Cilob never seemed happy about all the new friends showing up.

Bed was finished, time for another one.  Corai ran up the ramp to the main store room. Oh no!  There was no wood left!  Someone took the last one!  Time to go cut some more.

On the way to the trees, Corai passed the white marble trade depot Fishy had built.  It was really pretty, just like Fishy.

From up ahead, between the trees, there was a strange buzzing sound!  Among the dry grass, one of the cage traps that Fishy had built had caught something.  Corai ran forward to see what new friend had arrived.

Cilob's Journal, continued.

A giant mosquito.  And guess who gets to tame it.  What am I even supposed to feed that thing?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 08:39:01 am by Sphalerite »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 11:03:02 pm »

Im the boy, fishy is the girl.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44