Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 151628 times)

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 11:03:35 pm »

Oh god.

"Hey Corai the II"

"HI FRIEND LOOK WHAT I MADE ITS A PRETTY BIRD, MOM GOT HUGGED BY IT, BUT NOW SHES TAKING A NAP. SHE SPILLED A JUICE BOX TOO, BUT ITS RED."

"Okay....Okay.....the only sane person in my family is dead.....please let those goblins get here soon"

Ah Roc! Its attacking me help corai II! Ah my spine my grugle...
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2012, 05:40:34 am »

Could I claim the newly grown peasant girl?

Name her Geb, and give her the bowyer and bonecarver labours. Crossbows and bolts! She'll be willing to do odd jobs around the fort while waiting for the opportunity, but she wants to try making fish bone crossbows and fishbolts.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:43:43 am by Geb »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2012, 08:42:28 am »

Geb is yours.  We could use a bowyer/bonecarver.  Your first job will be to make a crossbow and some bolts for your mother.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 08:44:09 am »

I wonder what Fishybang and Corai's every-day life are like now that there lovers.

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2012, 10:25:37 am »

ptw

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2012, 01:36:44 pm »

I wonder what Fishybang and Corai's every-day life are like now that there lovers.

I dont thank I want to thank about that :P
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 04:17:14 pm »

I dont thank I want to thank about that :P

Who would. :3
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 05:59:38 pm »

Can I claim the jeweler? Name her Rachel.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 08:10:11 pm »

Cilob's Journal.

Dakost Mozibducim, the daughter of our war veteran, has come of age.  She has announced that she would like to be known as 'Geb', and wishes to take up the professions of crossbow-making and bonecarving, so that she can produce weapons and ammunition for her mother to use.  I told her to go ahead and set up workshops on the surface for now, which we'll move into the crafting-hall once it's dug out further.

She immediately went and produced a crossbow.  It's a very good piece of work for her first attempt.  Growing up with a famed marksdwarf for a mother, she's probably grown up seeing crossbows daily, but it's still impressive that she carved out such a nice example on her first try.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am also quite pleased to announce that we have manufactured our first locally produced steel!  It's considered a basic mark of self-sufficiency for a fortress, and we have managed it within a our first year.  This steel will go towards making armor and weapon for our meager military, so our fortress won't be completely defenseless should the elves or goblins find us.

18th of Timber.

The day I was expecting and half dreading has arrived.  The liaison from the mountainhomes has arrived, along with a trading caravan.

He'll want to see evidence that we're working towards meeting the demands of both the queen and the general, and I'm sure that several of our immigrants will be sending their own secret reports back.  I admit our fortress isn't much to look at yet - a few crude buildings aboveground, and some small rooms carved in the stone beneath the ocean - but the trade goods should convince them that we're making progress.

First up to the depot are the microcline and olivine cabuchons our jeweler has produced.  I took a look at some of them as they were being brought up.  Each one has a tiny 'R' engraved on the back - that's short for 'Rachel', which is what our jeweler tells me she wants to be known as.  I don't know how much polished microcline is going to go for, but I suppose it's a good start for her to develop a name for herself.

Will_Tuna has outdone herself.  She's prepared a batch of some heart-stoppingly rich syrup and fat confections.  This kind of thing fetches a fortune back at the mountainhomes.

Of course, Argel deserves the credit for growing the plants, butchering the animals, and processing the sweet pods into syrup.

Will_Tuna has also prepared a special treat for the Queen.  She calls it Cuttlefish Surprise.

And I have a special gift just for General Reg.  The first two monsters for her mighty army.

I don't know what she's going to do with them.  Figuring out how to use these in combat is her problem.  The mosquito can probably swoop down and suck blood or something, and maybe she can put a saddle on the grasshopper and ride it into combat.  I'm still amazed I managed to tame the damn things in the first place.  And yet, I'm going to miss those bugs.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 08:38:03 pm »

Sweet new glitch.

-Diary of CoraiUnki, Entry Two-

Hi diary! A bunch of stuff happened lately! We got another friend, a green hopping thing! Everyone calls it a Grasshopper, so thats what its called I guess. It was so adorable, oh and speaking of adorable, guess what, I made a new super friend! Fishybang is so nice! Shes sweet and nice and just great! And my workshop is just a neck-turn!

Later on the day, we got a trade-caravan from the mountainhomes. I saw people bringing polished rocks and our two friends there. I hope they have a fun time back in the mountainhomes! And those polished rocks looked nice. I'd like to have one. Maybe I should ask Rachel. And I should proboly meet Geb too. Well, bye diary! Byeeeeeeeeeee! And I know you been reading this guys, stop it!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 08:44:48 pm »

1st of Moonstone.  The dwarves of Brightwater are gathered in the communal dining area.

Red loam soil is slightly damp underneath.  The dining hall consists of all of five chairs and tables.  Stockpiles are crowded all around.  The farms are mere feet away on the other side of a dirt wall, and fresh dirt from ongoing excavations are tracked across the floor.  Nearby, two Giant Thrips, bizarre-looking insect monsters, crouch near the kennels where Cilob has been training them.

Amid this din and mess, Cilob, Expedition leader and chief animal trainer, stands on a table and raises a barrel of locally brewed wine.

My fellow dwarves!  AHEM!  Phenix, can you lay off the mining for a moment while I'm speaking?

My Fellow Dwarves!  It was only a year ago today that our wagon arrived on the shore, here where the The Watchful Ocean meets the Hill of Proliferating.  Now, thanks to all of you, we have put this fortress on the path to success.  I know there's not much of a fortress here yet, but look at what we have accomplished.  Self-sufficiency in food and metalsmithing, and a working animal trapping industry with our first specimens already on the way back home.   I have to admit I wasn't expecting success on that front so soon.

Now I have to admit, that thanks to the tireless efforts of Phenix and the two dwarves I've assigned to help her, we have a good start on the underground architecture of this fortress.  We have stone bedrooms for every dwarf in the fortress now - nobody has to sleep in a common barracks any more.  We have the start of a very nice crafting hall.

Mind the thrips, Geb.  That second one is still a little bitey.

But as I was saying, as much work as Phenix has done, I will have to ask her to do far more in this upcoming year.  I am sure you'll all agree that we could use a better dining room.  We'll all be glad to see what Phenix can do there.  Our poor doctor Cain, who has had nothing to do all year, has been asking me for a proper hospital, and I intend to have that functional before the end of this new year.

But first, before all of that, we need to work on our defenses.  Though we all know how impressive the two military ladies we have here are - killed thirteen elves between the two of them, I hear - it takes more than soldiers to defend a fortress.  Our Queen has demanded that this be a private beach and fishing fortress, so I have asked Phenix to construct a curtain wall around our site.  Our Queen has provided me with some plans that I'll pass over to her.

Now, someone pass me some of that sheep tallow roast, and clear some space on a table.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 08:46:52 pm by Sphalerite »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012, 08:47:07 pm »

You are god of these, your almost as good as Boatmurdered/syreupleaf and better then Headshoots.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 08:48:13 pm »

Diary of Fishybang, Entry one.

Hello Diary im Fishybang ill be writing in this thing from now on when ever i deem fit.
Anyway to day i was reading my Friend Corai's Diary but I thank he's on to me ill
have to cover my tracks better next time. Hope he doesent find this thing.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2012, 11:45:11 pm »

Events of early obsidian

Having finished his meeting with Cilob, the outpost liaison climbed the crude dirt ramp into the sunlight.  Blinking, half-blind in the glare, he stumbled over a boulder that hadn't been there before.  The boulder screamed and tried to run away.

CoraiUnki turned at the sound.  He clapped his hands and cheered at the adorable sight.

The kobold took off, trying to run away after having been spotted.  Unfortunately, it chose to flee past the trade depot, where the traders were still packing their wagons.  The caravan guards cut the poor kobold down in moments.

13th of Obsidian

The trade caravan had finally finished packing.  The animals were hooked up to the wagons, and began pulling them out on the long trip back to the mountainhomes.

As the caravan passed the work site where Phenix's crew had started building walls, a second kobold, hiding among the stones, lost his nerve and fled.  This one was luckier, having enough of a head start to completely evade the guards.

Back nearer the shore, at the metalsmith's workshop, the military commander was admiring the steel warhammer she had just finished making.  Nearly as nice as the one she used back in the wars against the elves.  She swung it experimentally, testing the weight and balance.  Now if only she had something to hit with it.

At that moment, a third kobold made the fatal mistake of trying to sneak past her into the fortress entrance.  The resulting fight didn't last long.

At the end of the fight, the kobold's mangled body was left wedged into the side of the smelter.  She tugged at it a few times in an unsuccessful attempt to dislodge it, then changed her mind and decided the smelter looked better with a dead kobold stuck in it.

20th of Obsidian

Fishybang was carrying a load of granite out to the work site where Phenix's curtain wall was under construction.  Over at the smelter, the military commander was happily making another batch of steel, in her smelter with the dead kobold still stuck in it.  Fishybang barely noticed.  So many new things, new thoughts and feelings lately.  She felt like she needed to do something.

A spark of inspiration flared through her head.  She dropped the granite and headed back into the fortress.

Quickly she arrived at the newly constructed craftsdwarf workshop in the crafting hall.

Grabbing a mere two stones, she set to work.

Meanwhile, back at the surface, the commander's smelting was interrupted by the suddenly muffled scream of a child.  A goblin thief sprinted away from the entrance to the fortress, carrying a struggling bag.  The commander smiled and picked up her hammer, still splattered with kobold blood.

This fight was not over quickly.

The captive child was freed almost immediately, after a blow to the goblin's spine fractured it and left the thief half-paralyzed.  The commander could have killed the goblin easily, but why hurry?  She'd never fought a goblin before.  She took her time, shattering each part of its body in turn.  Teeth scattered across the landscape like bloody shrapnel.

Finally, after the creature had been reduced to a barely-moving mangled mass, every bone broken, she finished it off with a blow to the head.

While strolling back to her smelter, she stumbled across a second thief.  Her curiosity already satisfied, she finished this one off with only a few blows.

Meanwhile, unaware of the carnage taking place above, Fishybang finished her work.

This makes Fishybang our first dwarf to have a mood.  She's now a legendary engraver.

Someone really needs to claim that commander before she gets a title.  She's becoming quite badass.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 11:53:06 pm »

Its an omen! She wants kids get ready to get busy Corai :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44