Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Minecraft: Nations at War ~~Applications now open~~  (Read 46254 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Nations at War
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 04:14:50 pm »

Apparently map wipe soon. Good chance to mess around and experiment, at least.

Unfortunately, apparently ArguableLobster and maybe someone else being a dick to Alcarnus(?). That was just depressing me, so I left.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2012, 04:41:57 pm »

My arena looks awesome from above, though. Shame I never really got to finish it.

the odd thing is that it was most likely used more than the world arena.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2012, 04:55:58 pm »

My arena looks awesome from above, though. Shame I never really got to finish it.

the odd thing is that it was most likely used more than the world arena.
People used that thing? I mean, besides the duel between almiteycow and Nowan and general faffing about during it's construction.

It's a bit of a shame, then only thing I had left was thickening the outer walls a small bit, and that was hindered due to said extension stretching two blocks into the protected area of the chained cloud. You can even see the markers I had placed out for this purpose.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 06:21:18 pm »

well, it was used a few other times. 2 or 3 maybe.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2012, 06:25:07 pm »

Cool. I'm in when S3 opens.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2012, 01:54:32 pm »

Quote from: Cyster (one of N@W's admins)
Season 3 is going to have gods. Six of them. Specifically:
Fire
Water
Air
Earth
Day/Life
Night/Death

Technically the Day and Night gods have that for their domains, but I'm including Life and Death to give you an idea of what they deal with.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!

You will want to dedicate yourself to a god. Yes, one -- the gods do not appreciate those who try to curry favor with more than one. Each god has a polar opposite, and doesn't much like the others, either, so you automatically have a whole slew of enemies in front of you. If you don't dedicate yourself to a god, you don't get nice things like perks, so this is absolutely a thing you'll want to do. There are a lot of benefits to playing with the favor system.

Killing enemies isn't the only way you gain favor with your god. You can build temples and shrines, as well as sacrifice things. For people who like to gather and build, you're covered.

Now you might be asking yourself questions like "How does this solve the two-man nation problem?" or "How will population matching be addressed?" or "What if I don't like the other people who dedicate themselves to the same god I like?" or even "What if I don't like all these stupid gods?" We have answers to all of those questions and will be revealing 'em as things become more concrete. We're not stupid. ;)

However, we did want to introduce the concept to you early on, as some contests and the like will involve the gods. We're still in the design phase, but it's pretty firm, so there you go. A taste of Season 3.

Quote from: Cyster
Magma/lava is going to be fire, like I said. I want to stress something: THIS IS NOT DWARF FORTRESS. We are not going to be wrangling the lore so you can slot your DF things neatly into it. This is a Minecraft game we're setting up, and we're working by Minecraft rules. There are system reasons for it being this way -- I'm not just tearing down your ideas for the sake of it.
[...]

My only one true God will always be Armok, but we may have to avoid using its name too openly in S3. :P

So, earth or fire? As dwarves we should go for earth, no?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:59:59 pm by Meta »
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2012, 01:56:54 pm »

I'll want to know more about the gods before dedicating myself to any.
*Hugs*

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2012, 06:58:05 pm »

This could be entertaining.  Posting to watch...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2012, 07:11:18 pm »

Plus, we're not even sure what the effects of worshiping the same or different gods will/can be. It might be that we'd want an even spread of deities if possible, or at least that having absolutely everyone worshiping the same god would be redundant.

And, y'know, sometimes the absolutely most efficient or fitting answer isn't the best anyway.

EDIT: Nevermind, seems not.

By the way, I will also say that there WILL be population balancing of some kind. If for whatever reason no one likes a certain god... some people are gonna have to bite the bullet and go over there. :P
The first quote worries me. I don't particularly think it was meant that way, but it came off sort of like "We want worship numbers to be balanced, so we'll be arbitrarily cramming people into the boxes we want them to be in in order to make that happen."

It has everything to do with nations, actually. Your national structure is dedicated to that god. These are god nations.
Yes. A nation is dedicated to a singular god.
Next two make me kind of sad; instead of building grand temples to all the deities, we'll have to pick just one concept/perk setup and all roll with it. What if we want lava everywhere but don't want to worship Fire? What if we want torches everywhere but still want to worship Night? What if we want to worship Air but like building everything below ground? If our entire nation is devoted to a deity, either we're going to have to cram our building style to suit that deity, or it's going to be kind of strange that half our fortress is on fire but we're still at war with Fire's worshipers.

There are no allied gods. There is no alliance or friendliness between them. If you are worshipping one god, then you are no friend of the others. It's just a matter of who hates you less. Now there may, at some point, be a very temporary alliance, but never expect to be able to work with anyone who is not in your religion long-term.
Rival issue makes me concerned and a bit sad, since our allies and enemies are pretty much going to be preset and immovable. Could be neat, but I hope this isn't just a heavyhanded attempt at making war more likely by forcing everyone to be EnemiesTM from the get-go.

Quote from: Sheez
If you choose to worship a deity (let's call him Earthgod), and he hears you shouting praises to Armok, you can be sure he will be miiiiiighty peeved.
Finally, looks like we either won't be worshiping Armok, or will have to worship him as an aspect or manifestation of our actual god. That's unfortunate, though it is reasonable on their end.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:42:25 pm by IronyOwl »
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Fiskav

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 10:04:19 pm »

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:13:49 am by Fiskav »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2012, 04:16:41 pm »

RP is encouraged but not enforced.

Special skins are not required.
*Hugs*

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2012, 04:52:36 pm »

From the initial biome color prototype screenshots, I pretty much like everything except Earth and Fire. I'm sure even those could become acquired tastes, though.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2012, 04:56:52 pm »

I could see myself doing Day or Night mostly...probably Day.  Maybe Fire?  Hm.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2012, 04:58:39 pm »

Damn, I would've liked to help with some lore, but I have a feeling I would not be able to get in on it.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2012, 05:40:11 pm »

I'd probably go with earth, since they will probably have mining perks (eg efficiency, fortune).
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15