Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Secure beekeeping made easy  (Read 36962 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Secure beekeeping made easy
« on: March 29, 2012, 11:25:08 pm »

I found what looks like an ideal solution to keeping beehives in a secure location where building destroyers can't path to them and keeping the fort's beekeeper relatively safe from harm.

Here we have a constructed building with fortifications that has a single beehive installed.  This building is completely sealed from the outside with walls, floors and a roof, and the only way in is underground through the fortress.  As you can see, the game lists the hive as having outdoor access.  I noticed in an earlier fort that bees can fly through fortifications, so I've been wondering if beehives can be safely kept behind them and still be functional.  This seems to be the case.  When I took the screenshot, the outer bridge that seals up my fort from the outside was open, but after closing it and sealing the fort, the hive still listed outdoor access.  I placed a second hive 1 tile south and east of this first one so it wouldn't be adjacent to any fortifications and it also lists outdoor access, but I have a better idea than this construction I have set up.

Presenting the Bee Tower:

Code: [Select]
╬╬╬╬╬
╬▬▬▬╬
╬▬X▬╬
╬▬▬▬╬
╬╬╬╬╬

It's simple.  Just a 5x5 square with fortified walls, with hives in a 3x3 square inside and stairs in the very center.  Since you only want a single beekeeper in a fort with the beekeeping bugs, you only really need a 1x1 stairwell.  Optimal output is at 40 hives since production slows down at 41 hives, and with 8 hives per level with this setup, you can stack 5 of these levels on top of each other.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Secure beekeeping made easy
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 11:27:30 pm »

Can't you just build a box of walls?  Anything in the center will be exposed to the outside because there's no roof, and archers won't peg your beekeepers.

I've not meddled much in bees though, does that not work?

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 11:29:12 pm »

Can't you just build a box of walls?  Anything in the center will be exposed to the outside because there's no roof, and archers won't peg your beekeepers.

Wouldn't that allow flying building destroyers in?
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 11:31:49 pm »

Hmm, fair point.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 11:37:51 pm »

Anyway, thanks for the effort, orius.

I like to make use of bees a lot since they're an almost completely autonomous industry that requires very little management and generates a decent amount of food and alcohol, but I've usually just built them right outside before, leaving them at the mercy of trolls.

I'd like to see more people use bees. Bees are the dolphins of the sky.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:39:22 pm by KodKod »
/人‿‿人\

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 11:44:43 pm »

That's.... REALLY useful to me. Been trying to think of a way to do this on the back burner of my mind. thanks =)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 11:46:57 pm »

For added security (to protect against marksgoblins) couldn't you put another wall around the fortifications (with a space between them)?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 11:49:36 pm »

I must be sleepy, that solution didn't occur to me.  An extra wall would solve everything.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 11:55:12 pm »

Sleepy? At this time? Insomnia some more!
/人‿‿人\

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 12:04:55 am »

Like KodKod said, flyers.  I don't know how many flying building destroyers there are, but I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Also, since it's a vertical design, it helps with efficency, especially if the bottom of the stairwell is close to food storage areas, screw presses, kitchens, etc.

For added security (to protect against marksgoblins) couldn't you put another wall around the fortifications (with a space between them)?

You could probably do that if you wanted.  My plan is to just call all the dwarves into the main defensive burrow when a siege strikes; these constructions aren't part of the burrow.  Maybe turn beekeeping off on the beekeeper while a siege with archers shows up too.

Anyway, it looks like the bees are flying in and out of the fortifications without any problems.  I just set this up, so the hive isn't ready to split, but it looks like it's working the way I want.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:07:33 am by orius »

Fortressdeath

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 12:38:51 am »

But what about flying archers (e.g. goblin bowmen on mounts)!? They can get inside your first curtain wall, and then shoot at the bees!

THOSE POOR BEES!
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 12:40:04 am »

But what about flying archers (e.g. goblin bowmen on mounts)!? They can get inside your first curtain wall, and then shoot at the bees!

THOSE POOR BEES!

Would you want to be that one goblin who pissed off hundreds of thousands of angry, murderous bees?

I don't think so.

IDEA! Weaponise bees: Our arrows bees will blot out the sun!
/人‿‿人\

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 12:47:54 am »

Hives hold something like 15000 bees each.  I'm not worried.

Fortressdeath

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 01:45:50 am »

Bees don't seem to mind if they're buzzing around at the bottom of a 20-z vertical tunnel.

You could conceivably farm bees in hell.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 01:47:42 am »

Yeah, usually I just stick 'em in a channeled-and-floored ditch and they seem happy. I get honey, usually.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6