Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How would you prefer to select all / select part of a stack?

Enter to select all; Shift-Enter to give a precise number
- 43 (81.1%)
Enter to give a precise number; Shift-Enter to select all
- 9 (17%)
Other (elaborate)
- 1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: How should stacks get split in trading?  (Read 926 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
How should stacks get split in trading?
« on: March 30, 2012, 12:25:55 am »

There has been active discussion of this question in the Future of the Fortress. It is time to resolve this scientifically. Please refer to the FoF thread, and the discussions below, and select your preferred option.

Disclaimer: This is merely a poll of the current views of the very select subgroup of the userbase that uses the forum. The final decision is, as always, firmly in the hands of Toady One and Three Toe*.

The first option is: Enter to select all; Shift-Enter to give a precise number of the items in the stack. This replicates the earlier, pre-stack-splitting behavior.

The second option is: Enter to give a precise number; Shift-Enter to select all. This maintains the current user interface and adds the functionality of quickly selecting all items in the stack.

More detailed examination of both options will no doubt be expounded below.

*With advisory duties handled by Scamps.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: How should stacks get split in trading?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:30:09 am »

Related thread on suggestion forums: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105779.0
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 12:37:23 am »

Choice 1.

Split piles and opening bins, should share the same interface.  I trust Scamps will find a catfriendly interface, in the end.  Way it is now, requires too many key pounces.  MEOW!  MEOW!  The popup interface is a nice addition to the game, I really like its other use, in picking a trainer, it works good there.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Infiltrator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 03:47:59 am »

As I said in http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105779.0 you should not need to worry about stacks at all, but be able to say "buy X/all of category [e.g. food]/type [e.g plants]/item [e.g. strawberries]", similarly to how the stockpile interface comes up.  Though with perhaps another grouping, such as "above ground plants" and "underground plants"; or better yet, user configurable groups with a few defaults.
GENERATION 25:
The second time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 2 to the generation. (Slight mutations allowed)
Sociopathic experiment.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 08:41:26 am »

Choice 1. Not used to the specifications, and it gets a little interruptive.