Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - Turning an Aquifer into free and constant power  (Read 12208 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

I'd like to start by noting that I didn't come up with this.  I discovered it on my own, but I've noticed a few others that also know this trick.  This is mostly a tutorial for the beginners and anyone that doesn't know.

Aquifers are something of a contentious topic amongst dwarfers.  Some hate them, some love them.  I'm going to show you all how to make one into the heart of your fort's mechanical power by breaking a few laws of physics and thermodynamics.  How we do this is by exploiting a very simple property of an aquifer tile;  They generate AND absorb water.  You can abuse this delightfully by digging out a pit that breaches the aquifer at several points and then use a screw pump to set water flowing between the aquifer tiles.  Slap some waterwheels over the flowing water and Urist's your uncle; constant power.  BE WARNED: once it starts, you can't stop it without involving !!Fun!! of some sort.

First, clear out a chamber that sits directly over an Aquifer. 'Dousing' with dug channels will do the trick if you're not quite sure where it is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Once the chamber's dug out, channel down into the aquifer.  I recommend doing it by rows from the north-most wall so you can build an entire row of wheels at once

Once the chamber's finished and filled with your rows of wheels, build a screwpump on the side that pumps from and to the water tank

All that's left to do is start the pump manually. Don't hook it up to the waterwheels as all it will do is make a mess.  If you can, order the pump to stop as soon as it's pumped once.  That's all it takes to start it and it might wash the dwarf into the water tank otherwise.

That number there?  That's all of the wheels generating power.  Permanently.  The value does not shift or stop, it just keeps going forever.

Hope this is of use to some of you, or at least provides a little entertainment.

edit:
Before anyone asks, the waterwheels are connected to a horizontal axle on the level above the one shown.  You can do it on the same level, I just did it for tidiness. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:11:53 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You don't have to decide how many waterwheels you need beforehand, either.  If you need a new wheel, just channel three new tiles adjacent to the others, run the pump for an instant, viola, your new tiles count as flowing as well.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

dwarven reactor, known exploit dwarven science project
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

dwarven reactor, known exploit dwarven science project

A dwarven reactor relies on water forcibly pumped by screwpumps connected to waterwheels.  With this the water cycles on its own and doesn't eventually spin down to the point it stops due to water loss via mist.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm very sure it's been set up using aquifers before, pumpin it up from a channeled aquifer to run it past some water wheels to an end channeled aquifer to drain off again and similar methods. I don't think where the water comes from or where it goes are the most important features of a reactor, the pinciple stays the same after all. Recyclable water or infinite water to generate more power than it costs power to generate.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, this has been set up before.  Aussie said so in his post-- it's not new, but it's cool.  If you've both set this style of reactor up, and set up a perpetual-motion style one, and don't see the difference, then scoff and such.  But-- well-- they're really, really different, and what Aussie is talking about is much, much better.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, this has been set up before.  Aussie said so in his post-- it's not new, but it's cool.  If you've both set this style of reactor up, and set up a perpetual-motion style one, and don't see the difference, then scoff and such.  But-- well-- they're really, really different, and what Aussie is talking about is much, much better.

yeah, hadn't really read the starting bit of his first post that well. Back to the drawing board to see if I can improve on this! Probably not though.

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the main advantage of this is the huge potential power output, but also the fact that water isn't actually flowing.  Thus it doesn't cause a FPS drain like the dwarven water reactor would.  The only time water actually flows over the squares is when the pump is pumped manually for 1 pump.  After that, there is not active water flowing.  Please correct me if I mis-understood this.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the main advantage of this is the huge potential power output, but also the fact that water isn't actually flowing.  Thus it doesn't cause a FPS drain like the dwarven water reactor would.  The only time water actually flows over the squares is when the pump is pumped manually for 1 pump.  After that, there is not active water flowing.  Please correct me if I mis-understood this.

Water is actively flowing, otherwise it wouldn't work at all. Aquifers generate AND absorb water.  You could drain an ocean into a single aquifer tile (relatively speaking).  How this works is the pool has multiple aquifer tiles.  Generally they sit as one big aquifer tile and you get a still pool.  By pumping it, it breaks it into the single aquifer tiles generating water and absorbing water that is created by the others.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I do not view this as an exploit, whereas the dwarven water reactor clearly is.

Aquifers in real life WOULD be constantly flowing, and this would actually work (if aquifers were as physically high-volume in real life).

The constant flow is not "magic."  It is supposedly draining from rainfall at higher elevations outside of the map, constantly filtering through in one direction.  Thus, it should realistically be able to generate infinite power, and it all makes perfect sense.  I don't see how that's exploitative.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: An AussieGuy Project - Turning an Aquifer into free and constant power
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 11:21:00 am »

Arr, a generator that wont be eventually fixed.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 12:48:24 pm »

Thanks, Aussie Guy, I've been trying to figure out how to get constant flow out of an aquifer for ages now. Hadn't been able to get it to stay consistent.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 12:58:05 pm »

after you fire the pump once, do the 7/7 tiles break up and keep varying?  or do they stay at 7/7 ?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 01:05:41 pm »

after you fire the pump once, do the 7/7 tiles break up and keep varying?  or do they stay at 7/7 ?

They stay at 7/7.  The water counts somehow as 'flowing' for purposes of the wheels, but no water actually moves.  (Unless it moves, somehow, in the middle of each tick, starting and ending at all 7/7s.)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 07:48:37 pm »

They stay at 7/7.  The water counts somehow as 'flowing' for purposes of the wheels, but no water actually moves.  (Unless it moves, somehow, in the middle of each tick, starting and ending at all 7/7s.)

I think the water IS moving each tick, but because that tick also contains water being generated/absorbed it looks like nothing's happened.
Pages: [1] 2