Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the perfect tantrum spiral  (Read 2366 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
the perfect tantrum spiral
« on: May 08, 2012, 01:39:38 pm »

Some of you here have probably seen better, but Id like to share my first tantrum spiral with you. it was rather silly and violent to a fort that, until then, had seen NO violence. the only attacks made on it in all of its twelve years of life had been a giant, a were-camal, and a plains titan.

one bright and clear morning, a high master marksdwarves four (out of 5) children and wife were killed in a collapsing cavern accident. no idea how they got under there, they just were. he became miserable, and as I watched he suddenly began to flash with the one thing no one wants to see on a near legendary fighter, a red "!". he climbed up onto the wall enclosing the tower I had started building and began picking off children and dogs. I sent the militia after him and lost three recruits. unfortunately, these recruits had grown from children in the fort. along with all the other children who had just been shot and killed AND the pets and various work dwarves injured and killed, things had become ripe for a coup. dwarves started to tantrum or go berserk. a child punched the teeth out of a miners head, who in exchange put the tip of his pick into the childs head! the crazed marksdwarf who started all this continued his rampage by swinging his crossbow around at anything he could reach and was brought down by a mule. things were looking bad. I posted my militia in the main hall where all the major incidents were occurring but to no avail, the militia had been all but destroyed. not paying attention to what I was doing, I punched several holes in the thin wall keeping the ocean out of the animal storage/training room. no problem about the water though, I could just drain out the room and- a tantruming dwarf destroys one of the doors blocking the water from the rest of the fort. the plains titan appears suddenly, it is a massive flat worm with a regal demeanor. beware its webs. it descends on the fort and sprays plains titan silk all over the place, tying up the new ramshackle militia and killing what few animals are left, the booze catches fire for some reason. the dwarves try to get to the clothing left behind by those killed by the titan, the front gate is simply turning into a pile of corpses! what do I need a wall for? I have this fetching pile of bodies! finally, after a long battle the titan goes down and I am left with 10 very unhappy dwarves. three of them are malencolic or stark raving mad, one is berserk and hiding out in the still room, the other 6 are either tantruming, or dont really care about anything anymore. no immigrants come in the next year, a couple more of the dwarves go crazy and kill the others. down to just two dwarves I decide to abandon when DF crashes, restarting the whole thing over again.

im certain anybody could out do this, so lets hear em.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: the perfect tantrum spiral
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 01:46:34 pm »

The best ones aways start small and build from there.

It's a shame it crashed. Some of my most satisfying forts have been post-spiral rebuilds.

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 01:51:08 pm »

Indeed too bad it crashed, tho it's a nice spiral..

If you could've re-embarked, I would have picked another starting civilization ;)

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 02:13:35 pm »

..., the booze catches fire for some reason. the dwarves try to get to the clothing left behind by those killed by the titan, the front gate is simply turning into a pile of corpses! ...

The spirit of Boatmurdered lives on!

A gorgeous Epic! If I may, what was the name of this fortress?
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 02:14:45 pm »

Lost it laughing, bravo.

Got my story in my sig, only two dwarves and the bat with the axe survived the spiral. Links to the 3rd page so you'll want to go back a bit.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 02:24:15 pm »

Please do keep in mind that this is an average fortress around here. He just wanted to share it with us.

jk jk

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 02:41:18 pm »

sounds like its ripe for a reclaim to me.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 04:12:51 pm »

..., the booze catches fire for some reason. the dwarves try to get to the clothing left behind by those killed by the titan, the front gate is simply turning into a pile of corpses! ...

The spirit of Boatmurdered lives on!

A gorgeous Epic! If I may, what was the name of this fortress?

the fortress was called galleytaught. I had embarked so that I could have a peaceful place to try my hand at construction. I may try to replicate the tantrum spiral, but I doubt it would all happen the same way twice.

Lost it laughing, bravo.

Got my story in my sig, only two dwarves and the bat with the axe survived the spiral. Links to the 3rd page so you'll want to go back a bit.
thanks.
I read that thread with the bat and the axe, very entertaining. thanks for sharing it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 04:15:10 pm by saltmummy626 »
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.