Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mitch's guide to catching and exploiting webbing Clowns [SPOILERS]|Update 2  (Read 15265 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile

1) FBs are easier to catch than GCS.  You're much more likely to get a webbing FB than a GCS, because, at least for me, a new FB seems to come every six months or so.

the hell are you talking about ? you are certain to have more than one GCS in your biome, but you are certainly not to have one webber FB in your world.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the hell are you talking about ?

You have more than one GCS, that won't seek out bait unless it's close, that feels free to leave the map if you don't catch it soon enough, that competes for screen time with more than one amethyst man, blind cave bear, blind cave ogre, blood man, bugbat...  And, what, roughly every tenth FB is a webber.  But, hey, my experience only.  If you find GCS to be more common, that's cool.

(This forum seems less friendly lately.)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

Update.

the hell are you talking about ?

You have more than one GCS, that won't seek out bait unless it's close, that feels free to leave the map if you don't catch it soon enough, that competes for screen time with more than one amethyst man, blind cave bear, blind cave ogre, blood man, bugbat...  And, what, roughly every tenth FB is a webber.  But, hey, my experience only.  If you find GCS to be more common, that's cool.

GCS and FB are not immune to demon fire, nor do their silks have the advantage of being immune to magma (which is kinda the point of this thread).
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

GCS and FB are not immune to demon fire, nor do their silks have the advantage of being immune to magma (which is kinda the point of this thread).

I thought of this, but I find that not every embark is blessed with a GCS, and even if you had one a GCS are not immune to getting blasted through fortifications with fire. Besides, this is a project. It doesn't have to take the easy alternative.

No, no, no-- I was responding to your quote above.  If somebody wants to separate out non-webimmune demons, I've found it's easier to use a FB than a GCS.  Nevermind, it doesn't matter.

BTW, faster way to ID webbers in your world: open up a cloth stockpile menu.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

sometimes on embark i'll use dfhack to check hell and see how many spires there are, most of the time there's webbing in hell
might be quicker to dfhack then 'reveal hell' to check on webs than to save scum

i remember seeing raven demon webbing >.>
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

sometimes on embark i'll use dfhack to check hell and see how many spires there are, most of the time there's webbing in hell
might be quicker to dfhack then 'reveal hell' to check on webs than to save scum

i remember seeing raven demon webbing >.>

Sometimes the webbing demons can't fly, and that complicates things.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

(This forum seems less friendly lately.)

Not if you listen to Guile's theme on the forum

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

PTW
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

Just wanted to state for the benefit of new readers that the reason we want demon silk is because it is fireproof, coldproof, heatproof, and fixedtemp at room temperature (10040 U or 23 C or 72 F), so it will survive magma immersion. It's almost dwarven Nomex.

The reason demon silk, and not FB/titan silk, has these properties is that demons have a few extra lines at the end of their raw files to grant thermal protection to all of their body materials, after their silk is defined. Most creatures (FBs, titans) that are made of fire or ice have their temperature properties defined before their silk is defined.

Arena mode testing just now reveals that this type of silk clothing won't protect against magma immersion or fire breath, but it does protect against thrown fireballs. Since shields protect against fire breath, but not thrown fireballs, this silk clothing is now a recommended piece of survival gear. Also, if a dwarf does burn to death, the clothing will be left behind undamaged for re-use.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just wanted to state for the benefit of new readers that the reason we want demon silk is because it is fireproof, coldproof, heatproof, and fixedtemp at room temperature (10040 U or 23 C or 72 F), so it will survive magma immersion. It's almost dwarven Nomex.

sadface

EDIT: Scooting around in the raws, it appears to vary.  Not all demons have the text that makes their webs fireproof.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 04:21:50 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Is the sock taking any damage from the fire?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is the sock taking any damage from the fire?

That's why it's an x=ash wraith sock=x.  Brand new.  But according to stockpiles and world.sav, there are some other clowns in the circus that ought to work.  I'll just have to wait for them to poke their heads out.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it impossible to have clothes which survive magma-immersion? Or is it just that not every demon is enough of a badass to make magma-safe silk?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

Is it impossible to have clothes which survive magma-immersion? Or is it just that not every demon is enough of a badass to make magma-safe silk?

EDIT: Scooting around in the raws, it appears to vary.  Not all demons have the text that makes their webs fireproof.

I did a bit more RAW reading and it appears that only demons made of flesh get the following lines:

Code: [Select]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:10040]
[HEATDAM_POINT:NONE]
[COLDDAM_POINT:NONE]
[IGNITE_POINT:NONE]

So ignore web-spitting blobs of ash or other materials, as those guys won't work.

Phynhas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ever-so-slightly off-topic, has anyone (playing humans or gobos, presumably) ever had a web-spinning demon monarch show up? I noticed they're fairly common in legends.  Could you get them to spit webs by feeding goblin prisoners into their throne room?

I've really been meaning to get a human fort (I almost always play humans) up to capital status in a civ with a demon/false deity lawgiver.  This actually gives me another idea to try...
Pages: 1 [2] 3