Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mitch's guide to catching and exploiting webbing Clowns [SPOILERS]|Update 2  (Read 15267 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

This is amazing :) Almost makes me want to mod in magma proof silk to the third cavern... Good science here, but why didnt you just buy a web turret for the initial catches ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

This is amazing :) Almost makes me want to mod in magma proof silk to the third cavern... Good science here, but why didnt you just buy a web turret for the initial catches ?

This guide was supposed to be done in vanilla, but after a lot of searching I just couldn't seen to find a web demon. I used Masterwork because I remembered one of my forts in it had a web-demon and I had kept a save from before I breached.

So yeah, the guide was designed to be for vanilla, for those without access to a webbing FB or GCS. I stopped updating, but if I get enough interest I'll get started on the science of magma-proof clothing (using a mod-cloth, maybe. To save time).
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Ah, that makes sense then, although the custom demons did outnumber the normal ones from what I saw on your screenshots. Easiest would have been to embark on a curious underground structure, they have about 2000-3000 units in them in my mod. Dont even know exactly why, must be something in the world-gen settings.

It seems to be an aweful amount of work for something you dont really need, so it fits DF perfectly ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

Also it involves demons, magma and cave-ins.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile

..What happened to just breaching hell and getting peasants to collect the stray webs already down there?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

...I stopped updating, but if I get enough interest I'll get started on the science of magma-proof clothing (using a mod-cloth, maybe. To save time).

Remember that silk bags and ropes can also be made, and they would be magma-proof.

My arena testing suggests fireproof clothing provides some protection against being set on fire by thrown fireballs from fire imps or the like. A shield can take care of the shorter-range fire breath, so it forms part of the dwarven firefighter kit.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile

Hm, tie up an imp and pour magma on him..
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

since demons can get caught in webs from other demons, does this mean webs don't remember where they came from?  by that I also mean, do webs not track alignment with an entity? Thus, a friendly giant cave spider could shoot webs that would cause dwarfs to get caged?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just wanted to state for the benefit of new readers that the reason we want demon silk is because it is fireproof, coldproof, heatproof, and fixedtemp at room temperature (10040 U or 23 C or 72 F), so it will survive magma immersion. It's almost dwarven Nomex.

The reason demon silk, and not FB/titan silk, has these properties is that demons have a few extra lines at the end of their raw files to grant thermal protection to all of their body materials, after their silk is defined. Most creatures (FBs, titans) that are made of fire or ice have their temperature properties defined before their silk is defined.

Arena mode testing just now reveals that this type of silk clothing won't protect against magma immersion or fire breath, but it does protect against thrown fireballs. Since shields protect against fire breath, but not thrown fireballs, this silk clothing is now a recommended piece of survival gear. Also, if a dwarf does burn to death, the clothing will be left behind undamaged for re-use.

i've never been a fashion freak and now i'm suddenly curious about hell again. thanks!   

... would this perchance protect against cold attacks too?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Posting to watch.
Pages: 1 2 [3]