Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: 68yo old ex-marine shot by police in home.  (Read 19529 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
68yo old ex-marine shot by police in home.
« on: March 30, 2012, 06:57:00 am »

The niece stood in the darkened stairwell of the Winbrook Houses, listening, as 20 feet away five police officers yelled at her uncle, who had locked himself in his apartment.

It was 5:25 on a chill November morning. The officers banged loud and hard, demanding that her 68-year-old uncle open his door.

“He was begging them to leave him alone,” she recalls. “He sounded scared.” She pulls her shawl about her shoulders and her voice cracks; she is speaking for the first time about what she saw. “I heard my uncle yelling, ‘Officers, officers, why do you have your guns out?’ ”

The string of events that night sounds prosaic, a who-cares accumulation of little mistakes and misapprehensions. Cumulatively, though, it is like tumbling down the stairs. Somehow the uncle, Kenneth Chamberlain Sr., a former Marine who had heart problems and wheezed if he walked more than 40 feet, triggered his medical alert system pendant. The system operator came on the loudspeaker in his one-bedroom apartment, asking: “Mr. Chamberlain, are you O.K.?” All of this is recorded.

Mr. Chamberlain didn’t respond. So the operator signaled for an ambulance. Police patrol cars fell in behind — standard operating procedure in towns across America. Except an hour later, even as Mr. Chamberlain insisted he was in good health, the police had snapped the locks on the apartment door.

They fired electric charges from Tasers, and beanbags from shotguns. Then they said they saw Mr. Chamberlain grab a knife, and an officer fired his handgun.

Boom! Boom! Mr. Chamberlain’s niece Tonyia Greenhill, who lives upstairs, recalls the echoes ricocheting about the hall. She pushed out a back door and ran into the darkness beneath overarching oaks. He lay on the floor near his kitchen, two bullet holes in his chest, blood pooling thick, dying.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/nyregion/fatal-shooting-of-ex-marine-by-white-plains-police-raises-questions.html?_r=1

Nothing to see here citizens, go about your business.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: 68yo old ex-marine shot by police in home.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 07:02:01 am »

Stupid, badly-trained, dumb motherfucking cops, no less than that.

NON-LETHAL you GOD DAMNED bastards! You're TRAINED for that! Jesus fucking christ, people make me fucking sick.

There were a thousand ways they could have taken him down, yet some STUPID worthless son of a bitch decided to get his jollies of by nailing an old man in the chest with a fucking SHOTGUN. TWICE.

Stupid, incompetent son of a whore needs to be in prison for such a dishonor to every god damn modicum of civility, ownership of estate, and privacy or liberty we are diluted into believing we still maintain.

I've been to multiple countries and as bad as its become, America is still doing much better than most. But this... This makes me fucking RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

Semper Fidelis, brother.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 07:13:17 am »

Fucking come on!!! What the hell were they thinking?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 07:14:04 am »

That would be implying that they were thinking in the first place.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 07:15:34 am »

That would be implying that they were thinking in the first place.

Vigorous +1
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 08:20:18 am »

It really saddenes me to say that every few months when we have a thread about this kind of thing happening, I can honestly say I'm not suprised one bit.

Heck, I'd be more suprised if I didn't see these things popping up in regular intervals :/
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 08:31:00 am »

Silly old people, thinking the law is supposed to protect them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 08:38:24 am »

Actually with his weak heart Non-lethal could have killed him as well and its reputation as "Non-lethal" (speaking of tasers) has often lead it to being abused in situations where "no-force" should have been used. Back before they started doing a crackdown on Taser use a girl was tasered in a police station because she was pealing paint off the wall.

Heck there was a fatality around where I live where someone was taken down with non-lethal force but he started to suffer medical problems during the arrest and the police outright refused the actual doctor who was there to administer first aid. (He was turning purple and everything)

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
Re: 68yo old former Marine shot by police in home.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 08:39:28 am »

This is pretty awful, but again, this is the kind of story people play up. There is no excuse for the officers here, but they don't make stories about "Cops follow proper procedure and apprehend man".

Also to the OP, please correct the thread title to say former Marine. There are no ex-Marines.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:44:54 am by Calhoun »
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 08:43:56 am »

This is pretty awful, but again, this is the kind of story people play up. There is no excuse for the officers here, but they don't make stories about "Cops follow proper procedure and apprehend man".

Also to the OP, please correct the thread title to say former Marine. There are no ex-Marines.

Yeah but there is "Police mess up in a horrible but understandable situation" and then there is "Police outright murder someone".

If there was a police officer who followed procedure and managed to single handedly take down the Yakuza, Mafia, and Hells Angels single handedly... I'd certainly would want to hear about that. Which would be around the possitive equivilant of this.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 08:48:38 am »

Oh don't get me wrong. I think all the officers involved should be removed from service and face trial. With the disciplinary action decided on there. Especially those who fired their weapons. I don't think anyone is going to disagree about that.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 08:50:46 am »

Retired marine. Former and ex imply he ever stopped being a member of the Marine Corps, which he damn well did not, even in death.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 08:54:05 am »

Why is it always the Marines that get gunned down? Cops are a bit jealous or something?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 08:56:29 am »

Why is it always the Marines that get gunned down? Cops are a bit jealous or something?

Because they need to be prominant in order for it to be news.

Would you really care if some cops gunned down some homeless man? (I am not sure if I am being sarcastic)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 09:01:55 am »

Yes and no. There's also an officer's fear of being attacked by an armed and definitely well-trained retired marine.

You must consider what's going on in a cop's mind when facing down someone who can have any number of weapons, and is trained to kill you with each and every one of them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11