Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.07 Released  (Read 94907 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.07 Released
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2012, 05:54:33 pm »

They fixed that a while ago.

Pity, guess I'll just have to set up a cart to the magma mines and ship them off manually.

Will creatures (dwarves) be able to ride in (empty?) carts or will they require cages (entirely for their own safety)?
"Urist McCravesExcitement has cancelled BoringTask, Taking Joyride!"
You're better off asking these questions in the 'Future of the Fortress' thread.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100851.0

And in the last batch of Toady Answers, we learned that Dorfs riding in Minecarts is on the docket, but not necessarily for this release.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2012, 01:04:10 am »

since I'm really terrible at using the search on mantis, I guess I'll talk about this there.

it's not really a bug, because everything is working as intended; however it feels strange and weird when compared on how cages works

if you pasture an animal, then assign it to a chain, the animal is taken back and forth from the chain and pasture because it doesn't get unassigned from the pasture. at least the pasture shows a nice chain symbol near the animal so you can 'unpasture' it

also, if you assign a work animal to an hunter and it's pastured, it won't follow the hunter in the same way that the pet's doesn't follow the owner. probably intended behavior, as well.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2012, 01:18:26 am »

if you pasture an animal, then assign it to a chain, the animal is taken back and forth from the chain and pasture because it doesn't get unassigned from the pasture. at least the pasture shows a nice chain symbol near the animal so you can 'unpasture' it
Known bug:
Bug #4475: Animals with two location assignments -> Infinite hauling

also, if you assign a work animal to an hunter and it's pastured, it won't follow the hunter in the same way that the pet's doesn't follow the owner. probably intended behavior, as well.
I assume that this is intended behavior so you can choose whether you want it to follow the owner or not.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

spiderpig040

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2012, 03:18:13 pm »

guys, im new to this game. can you give me advice or tips on this game? give me an idea on what this game is all about. really want to try it out. thanks.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2012, 05:12:56 pm »

There are various tutorials stickied at the top of the Gameplay Questions forum.  The Dwarf Fortress Wiki is an excellent reference, and also has a few introduction-for-new-players pages.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:31:45 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2012, 05:37:12 pm »

guys, im new to this game. can you give me advice or tips on this game? give me an idea on what this game is all about. really want to try it out. thanks.

This is a good place to start.  It's a bit dated but still a great place to start.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31928.0
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Earthfiredrake

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2012, 06:52:48 pm »

You're better off asking these questions in the 'Future of the Fortress' thread.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100851.0

And in the last batch of Toady Answers, we learned that Dorfs riding in Minecarts is on the docket, but not necessarily for this release.

Curse my failing memory, I knew there was someplace for those, just couldn't remember where. Urist McCravesExcitement is mildly disappointed, is taking up skydiving... being more patient, I'll look forward to the release.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2012, 01:46:32 am »

Toady posted that haulers can jump onto the back of the minecart they just pushed. DwarfTrak FTW!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2012, 05:46:19 am »

Toady posted that haulers can jump onto the back of the minecart they just pushed. DwarfTrak FTW!
What could possibly go wrong?

Urist McHauler: WHEEEEE!!!
> Urist McHauler has blown apart after colliding with an obstacle!
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2012, 05:59:56 am »

Spoiler: Whee? (click to show/hide)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2012, 10:32:56 am »

I wonder how many rotations of Japa's helix a cart will go before picking up enough speed to fly off the tracks at a corner? I guess we'll find out when the next release is out.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

spiderpig040

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2012, 01:08:56 pm »

This is a good place to start.  It's a bit dated but still a great place to start.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31928.0

thanks. i'll get right into it.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2012, 07:17:53 am »

With all these things following parabolic arcs now, I wonder if we can get real gravity for cave-ins and items dropped from bridges or deconstructed floors? The instant teleporting of some things to the ground seems out of date since we already know pretty much everything can fall realistically in the right situations.

It also seems like catapults could benefit from an overhaul. Shouldn't it be possible to set power, angle, and true bearing for a stone? Note, 'set' not 'get'. Or, to be frank, we could forgo catapults and just use minecarts.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2012, 06:36:23 pm »

With all these things following parabolic arcs now, I wonder if we can get real gravity for cave-ins and items dropped from bridges or deconstructed floors? The instant teleporting of some things to the ground seems out of date since we already know pretty much everything can fall realistically in the right situations.

It also seems like catapults could benefit from an overhaul. Shouldn't it be possible to set power, angle, and true bearing for a stone? Note, 'set' not 'get'. Or, to be frank, we could forgo catapults and just use minecarts.
Right now, there is only one thing in the game that is doing the parabolic arcs, and that's minecarts. Nothing else. Toady spefically said that he's not applying it to anything else for the time being to save on time for this Release.
Sieges and Siege Weapons will eventually be getting an Overhaul, probably during the fabled Army Arc.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2012, 10:13:27 pm »

Right now, there is only one thing in the game that is doing the parabolic arcs, and that's minecarts. Nothing else. Toady spefically said that he's not applying it to anything else for the time being to save on time for this Release.
Sieges and Siege Weapons will eventually be getting an Overhaul, probably during the fabled Army Arc.

Idk, body parts seem to fly in arcs...
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11