Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the worst bug in DF? (69 of 729 fixed - 9%)

[part of children bugs squashed] Bug #535: Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic
- 73 (10%)
Bug #1582: Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors and #94: Injured dwarves not recovered
- 63 (8.6%)
Bug #2712: weapons, especially whips, cut through steel armor like butter
- 35 (4.8%)
Bug #1451: Military equipment interferes with civilian equipment (picks/axes/crossbows/quivers)
- 34 (4.7%)
Bug #5097:  Names overwriting text with TrueType
- 24 (3.3%)
[FIXED] Bug #5232: Streams/brooks/rivers getting turned stagnant by nearby pools/ponds
- 48 (6.6%)
Bug #296: Pools/smears/spatters of blood, dust and other materials multiply themselves, get tracked around too much
- 22 (3%)
Bug #2922: Population Cap not working
- 39 (5.3%)
Bug #5312: Undead reanimate too quickly (and forever)
- 62 (8.5%)
Bug #2780: Turtles went extinct on my map (applies to all aquatic vermin)
- 26 (3.6%)
Bug #33: Bronze colossus, skeletal creatures, fleshballs, and others are impossible to kill
- 13 (1.8%)
Bug #3898: Entire Bone Stacks are used in Reactions instead of a single Bone
- 12 (1.6%)
Bug #5611: Cities overwhelmingly build textile industry shops, almost never wood, stone, or metal-related shops - results in nearly no weapons/armor for sale.
- 22 (3%)
Bug #5263: Abandoned shops not reclaimed - Older towns are almost entirely abandoned in spite of Legends listing population in thousands
- 17 (2.3%)
Bug #2327: Blunt weapons extremely ineffective, extended single combat with groundhog
- 12 (1.6%)
Bug #4552: Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders
- 16 (2.2%)
Bug #136 When embarking on large area, DF hits 2GB memory limit and crashes
- 16 (2.2%)
Bug #412: Nobles job priority is weird (trading, diagnose, talking with liaison and attend meeting jobs have extremely low priority)
- 32 (4.4%)
bug #4230 - bucket with water inside becomes unusable
- 5 (0.7%)
Bug #4550: Dodging into river/lava/from cliff etc
- 2 (0.3%)
Bug #4590: Unarmored creatures give in to pain too easily - Elephant killed by three hoary marmots when elephant gives in to pain from nibbling
- 7 (1%)
Bug #5106: Slain bandits/companions respawn/duplicate in their original location
- 7 (1%)
Bug #425: Dwarves Not Cleaning Blood
- 25 (3.4%)
[FIXED] Bug #1376: Presence of saltwater marsh causes mountain brooks/pools to become salty
- 4 (0.5%)
Bug #3685: Goblin squads invading a fortress will kill their non-goblin squadmates, sparking loyalty cascade
- 6 (0.8%)
Bugs #287 & #3147: Medical Dwarfs prefer using non-hospital stockpiles than hospital stocks
- 7 (1%)
Bug #5598: Town shops/cabinets contain human-sized clothes regardless of size of actual residents
- 6 (0.8%)
Bug #3015: Invader/sieger mounts flee combat, preventing their riders from fighting (worse with [FLIER] tag)
- 5 (0.7%)
Bug #1346: Adamantine thread used for suturing.
- 11 (1.5%)
Bug #3169: Bone carvers suffer art defacement when somebody leaves the map with stuck-in masterpiece bolts
- 6 (0.8%)
Bug #874: Dwarves refuse to butcher some corpses (buzzards in particular)
- 3 (0.4%)
Bug #4430: Large gems not moved to stockpile
- 9 (1.2%)
Bug #3981: Dwarf with "Installing Colony in Hive" Job stuck in middle of nowhere.
- 18 (2.5%)
Bug #5102: Sewers inhabitants hanging out underwater near outflows (some of them stuck to walls)
- 4 (0.5%)
Bug #4299: Some events can't be zoomed to (from announcements menu) even though they have a definite location
- 23 (3.2%)
Bug #3190: Long Patrol Negative Thoughts seem to escalate, even with long break.
- 15 (2.1%)
Bug #434: Reaction jobs (unlike other jobs) don't look outside burrow for workers and raw materials (works through manager)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 725

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: The worst bug - 34.07-10 poll  (Read 62788 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: The worst bug - 34.07 poll
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2012, 09:56:13 am »

3. It is fairly simple to get it to do what you want.

You're right on points 1 and 2, but you're way off on 3. It depends greatly on where you want population to stop. You can low-ball so that overshoot will take you roughly to the population that you want, but it's still a huge gamble, given the number of dwarves that can come in a single year.

If you want your population to stop at or over 100 dwarves, then it sort of works, you'll never go north of 200 if you set the cap at 100, and probably won't go north of 150 (assuming your baby cap is set reasonably). I've seen a lot of reports from people who want to cap their population at 20 or 50 for FPS reasons, however, and given that if you fall below the cap, you'll get up to 100 dwarves in a single year of migration if your fort is wealthy (and the death rate isn't scaring the migrants), the population cap as implemented is not working.

I suppose this is a matter of opinion and personal experience. I have rarely, if ever, had my population overshoot by more than 10-15 dwarves, and I have seen a number of other people post similar results. Probably a part of it is how much effort one is willing to put into managing the popcap; I typically start with it absurdly low, see where I'm at after the mandatory two waves, and set it based on that. Once I breach the cap I want, I drop it down to 1 and leave it there unless I get 20+ below what I want. Obviously you'll get less reliable results if you just drop it on 80 or whatever when you start and never bother changing it, even if, say, you end up with 78 dwarves right before the autumn visit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2012, 10:26:26 am »

3. It is fairly simple to get it to do what you want.

You're right on points 1 and 2, but you're way off on 3. It depends greatly on where you want population to stop. You can low-ball so that overshoot will take you roughly to the population that you want, but it's still a huge gamble, given the number of dwarves that can come in a single year.

If you want your population to stop at or over 100 dwarves, then it sort of works, you'll never go north of 200 if you set the cap at 100, and probably won't go north of 150 (assuming your baby cap is set reasonably). I've seen a lot of reports from people who want to cap their population at 20 or 50 for FPS reasons, however, and given that if you fall below the cap, you'll get up to 100 dwarves in a single year of migration if your fort is wealthy (and the death rate isn't scaring the migrants), the population cap as implemented is not working.

I suppose this is a matter of opinion and personal experience. I have rarely, if ever, had my population overshoot by more than 10-15 dwarves, and I have seen a number of other people post similar results. Probably a part of it is how much effort one is willing to put into managing the popcap; I typically start with it absurdly low, see where I'm at after the mandatory two waves, and set it based on that. Once I breach the cap I want, I drop it down to 1 and leave it there unless I get 20+ below what I want. Obviously you'll get less reliable results if you just drop it on 80 or whatever when you start and never bother changing it, even if, say, you end up with 78 dwarves right before the autumn visit.

I can see how you can get it to work if you micro-manage it like that, controlling your fortress wealth carefully so you get just the right number of migrants, and repeatedly changing the population cap, but that's not a working system.

The reason for the population cap is to prevent your framerate from degrading, not to give you another variable to carefully micro-manage. If the goal were realism, you'd get sieged by endless waves of sneaking migrants if your fortress dramatically overshoots the national GNP-per-capita (and does so with a low death rate), and there'd be no way to turn them away except having your town guard find and evict them, plus building the great wall of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California to keep them out, and regularly discovering and collapsing immigrant tunnels. Or killing enough to scare the rest off, but that's a method that would work already, and most of us don't want to use.

I don't point and laugh at the noob who created too much wealth for their fortress in the first two years and overshot their population goal dramatically, I facepalm and say "why can't the population cap just work?"
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:29:25 am by Grumbledwarfskin »

starvingpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2012, 10:50:20 am »

Definitely the water, there is simply to way to fix a stagnant river without resorting to dfhack.

DeadlyLintRoller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2012, 05:12:55 pm »

Dwarf the rapist stopped working :(
I'm back!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2012, 05:36:25 pm »

The population cap, bad worded as is, and as stated by Toady many times (I don't want to do a thoroughly search) IS NOT a bug. Toady doesn't like hard caps.

To continue on - "No Hard Caps" would make much more sense if this were something controlled by an in-game feature, with an in-game rationale behind it.  If you told the liason how many people you were looking for in the fortress, then it would be a different matter, but the (d_)init.txt is all about hard limits.

You use init.txt to set things like, say, a hard limit on framerate, a hard limit on how quickly a key you hold down will be interpretted as a repeat hit of that key.  D_init.txt is used for determining a hard on/off toggle of whether or not weather effects or temperature is turned on or not, it is a hard toggle on how far dwarves will path out of their way when looking for stockpiles to group food barrels on.  It's even the ultimate in dwarven birth control - set babies to 0, and they stop getting pregnant.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2012, 08:51:44 pm »

You guys, except Flying Dice, are totally missing the point on the popcap.  Rather than impose a godlike will on the number of citizens emigrating from the mountain homes - which is incredibly gamey - he's decided to let that hard number be interpreted in-game in a natural way.  Also, if you think about it for a minute, you have to consider future features - when armies and bandits are moving around the map, who's to say that emigrants won't get waylaid on the roads and have their numbers reduced?  What about refugees?  What about hill dwarves?!

It still functions as a soft-cap, and preserves the mechanics of the simulation, it seems to me that if a hard-cap were to be imposed it would, if not now then definitely later, have to fudge the mechanics of global populations and pop. movements, which is a coding nightmare waiting to happen.  If you don't like it, why don't you make a better suggestion in the suggestions forum?

While I'm at it...

#5312, #33, #2327 not bugs - wait for pulping

#5611, #5263, #5598 not bugs - wait for NPC schedules, world caravans and emergent trading

Quote from: Threetoe from 2010 devlog
the issues with adventure mode, the caravans begin to roll. The peasants are free from their hovels, tilling the fields and tending to their pigs and chickens. Great walled towns import food and goods from all over the world. You will be able to run one of these caravans, buying and selling across land, guided by the law of supply and demand. Not only that, you can do it on a horse.

It's coming soon!

#4552, #3685, #3015 not bugs - wait for siege rewrite

Quote from: Toady from 2009 devlog
I've already delayed formations. They aren't crucial for the release and I can just do them before I do improved sieges, since that's when I'll most start to want to have them around I expect.

This is coming sometime!

#136 wait for LAA version

There are a couple of others on the list that are really balancing issues and not bugs per se.

I agree that mechanics are broken, but you've confused temporary-placeholder mechanics with "bugs".  As Toady showed with the recent clothing and taming revamps, and as is logical because there are so many mechanics interlinked, these problems with the game are not going to be fixed individually.  So it seems pointless to list them as such.  Also, though Toady pays good attention to fan requests, he has his own schedule and in most of the above cases he is obviously aware of them and it really is just a matter of time before they get fixed.

If we just relax, change our ESV votes now hauling is going to be tackled, and let the mantis tracker trundle along, all of this will go away in time.  8)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2012, 09:12:51 pm »

My vote is for helping the goblins so we have a better challenge:
  Bug #4552: Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2012, 10:25:18 pm »

You guys, except Flying Dice, are totally missing the point on the popcap.  Rather than impose a godlike will on the number of citizens emigrating from the mountain homes - which is incredibly gamey - he's decided to let that hard number be interpreted in-game in a natural way. 

Actually, no, you're not getting it. 

D_init.txt is for controlling things in a gamey way.  It is for doing things that have no in-game rationale, like turning off the weather or turning off thermodynamics.  It is to do the things that could not be done inside of a game rationale, because there are some hits to realism that have to be made for playability reasons.

If it's in d_init.txt, and it's not meant to be gamey, then that's the bug.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2012, 11:28:57 pm »

Something is open on bugtracker - it IS a bug.
Only creator himself knows what is intended behavior, what is not, and what is intended behavior which provides terrible results.

Also,
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2922#c20054
Quote from: Footkerchief
But yes, this is an old bug and hopefully it'll get addressed once Toady has worked through the newly introduced bugs.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2012, 11:37:26 pm »

Only once have I gotten migrant waves when my population was at or above the cap, and saving and reloading stopped further waves from coming.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 01:02:20 am »

Dwarf the rapist stopped working :(
Than report this in DT thread and explain what is not working. See "How to Report Bugs Effectively"

Something is open on bugtracker - it IS a bug.
Not always, "0005742: DFhack reveal command bug" was open for about 2 hours and it is not a bug in DF.

Quote from: Footkerchief
But yes, this is an old bug and hopefully it'll get addressed once Toady has worked through the newly introduced bugs.
Good find.

@Hermes - part may be on gray area between bug and placeholder but for example "Bug #3015: Invader/sieger mounts flee combat, preventing their riders from fighting (worse with [FLIER] tag)" is a clear bug.

"wait for pulping" etc. Voting for certain bugs is also a suggestion (like "please fix PET_EXOTIC taming or replace it with something better")
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:04:01 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 01:57:44 am »

Not always, "0005742: DFhack reveal command bug" was open for about 2 hours and it is not a bug in DF.
Well, yeah, typically bugs would be marked as "acknowledged"/"confirmed"/"assigned" rather than "new", but since Toady and Foot do not do that on their mantis, its safe to assume "one of managers commented on bug and didn't close it" equals "confirmed".

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 04:06:35 am »

I'm going to go with #4552.
Less lounging around the deceased Hammerlord, more walking into *large, serrated bronze disc*s.  >:(

I'm gonna go with whips being overpowered. Seems like it'd be simple to fix (just a raw edit) and it's what affects my forts most out of all those.
This, too.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 10:02:13 am »

It would take 30 secs to fix the "whip problem". Hopefully Toady will make the necessary changes.  8)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2012, 10:12:08 am »

It would take 30 secs to fix the "whip problem". Hopefully Toady will make the necessary changes.  8)
Or remove this weapon, there are certain reasons why whips are not used as weapons in reality.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11