Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forbidding Iron  (Read 2342 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Forbidding Iron
« on: March 30, 2012, 10:01:10 am »

I'm trying to get a civ to not use iron. To that end, I gave limonite, hematite, and magnetite a reaction class (IRON_ORE), removed their ore-for-iron tag, and made a custom reaction that turns one boulder of iron ore into a bar of iron. I gave this reaction to everyone except the civ that wasn't supposed to get iron.

They still have iron.

I could normally just forbid them furnace operators and give them special custom reactions to give them access to the metal, but they are a player race, so that ain't happening. How can I get the race to not use iron?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Forbidding Iron
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 03:43:10 pm »

The process I used in my mod to prevent the use of metals that would normally be smelt-use is to add a refining stage, along with a reaction in the smelter workshop. So basically, you mine one of the iron ores, smelt it at the smelter, refine it with a smelter reaction, and then smith it into whatever. To prevent a race from using iron for weapons, etc., just make the first bar stage (after the smelting of the ore) a new type of iron, "crude iron" or some such, and remove the item tags from it to prevent it from being used in smithing, and don't give the refining reaction to the race you don't want using iron.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 04:31:25 pm »

does that civ steal items? if they do i think they have access to anything anyone nearby has access to

(just an example; in the LFR mod i've seen a kobold with a voidshard dagger, only the voidwalkers have access to voidshard)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 01:07:40 pm »

Flying Dice: Hm, maybe that could work...

Jilladilla: No, but it steals babies. Does that change anything?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 09:21:45 pm »

dont think so, if babysnatcher gave entities access to materials they normally shouldn't, we would see steel armored goblins knocking on our drawbridges.

also did you generate a new world? changes to the entity file require that

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 05:27:50 pm »

Yup, I did. It seems to be continuing to be a problem. Several versions later, my kobold adventurer ran into an ogre with an iron shield, and anyways, I've been able to choose iron stuff for a while. It's not the worldly stuff.

It'd probably be easier if I just removed the ability to play as dwarves.
Sig

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 05:31:44 pm »

I have a related problem. Some materials are impossible for a civ to get (like a tree that grows only in hell, slade, or an adamantine alloy) and all my cavern civs, sometimes even elves, bring those materials and items. Makes things rather unbalanced.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::