Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Santorum called Obama a nig- on television  (Read 53990 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Santorum called Obama a nig- on television
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2012, 07:29:27 pm »

I think some of you are underestimating how much the human brain can screw up trying to say something when a person is old, tired, and has been doing it pretty much nonstop for an extended period of time. He says "Ovama" about a single sentence later; if he had tripped over that word, some of you would probably be saying there's no way he would have put a "v" in the word "Obama".

Christ, once when I was tired I managed to type "piss the moon" instead of "miss the point". I'm not kidding. Brains are pretty messed up, and it's entirely plausible to flub a sentence in a wide variety of perplexing ways, especially under adverse conditions.

True, true, but usually people apologize if they say something offensive under such circumstances.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2012, 07:44:48 pm »

This wouldn't be the first time Santorum has worked himself up into a frothy rage when he's at the podium and said something he's later regretted. It's just the things he's said before were sentences that are still publicly acceptable to finish. So I honestly don't think this is anything other than exactly what it sounds like. When you're stumping as hard as Santorum has been, your filter is bound to get ignored at some point.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2012, 07:51:29 pm »

"Ovama" is different because it's really clear what he intended to say and it's barely noticable (also v's and b's are actually pretty similar in terms of how you pronounce them).  In this "nig" case we can only wildly speculate as to what he meant, and unless he literally forgets what he's saying in the middle of his sentences he must've realised that he left that thought incomplete on "nig uh of the...".

Typing is pretty different to speaking - you'd probably immediately notice if you said "piss the moon" and scramble to correct yourself.  Similarly I'm pretty sure my brain would go into panic mode if a massive racial slur came out of my mouth accidentally and I'd rush to correct myself (I'd say that this did happen to some extent, although since he didn't have anything to correct it to he instead had to settle for moving on and thinking of an excuse later).

And I guess finally I'm reluctant to let someone use the same excuse twice.  It seems staggeringly unlikely that someone whose speeches don't generally contain complete nonsense words all over the place has managed to "accidentally" say something that sounds racist twice.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2012, 07:53:37 pm »

I'm still astounded that a man whose name has so few degrees of separation from Dick Buttfroth got this far in a presidential candidacy race.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2012, 07:57:51 pm »

Honestly it's better than Newt Gingrich, whom I affectionately refer to as a harry potter villain.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2012, 08:15:44 pm »

Too bad Humperdink is taken, it really fits him.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2012, 08:16:54 pm »

I'd vote for the shoe that was thrown at GW Bush over Rick Santorum... He'll never be elected anyway (neither will Romney *knock knock*), but just the fact he's a candidate is incredibly disturbing to me. People actually support this guy? I mean, sure America is a pretty backwards place...
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2012, 08:30:25 pm »

Too bad Humperdink is taken, it really fits him.
Humperdinck?
(sorry couldn't resist)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2012, 08:31:43 pm »

One of the scariest parts for me when I see people like Santorum being treated as serious candidates by anyone at all is that I start thinking to myself, "Hey, maybe those crazy antigovernment militia types have a point". Not for more than a few seconds, but still...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2012, 08:55:31 pm »

Honestly, "Negotiator" is too big a word for Santorum. I give people the benefit of the doubt, but I've already been doubting Santorum on a LOT of things, so I just don't have any doubt left, to be honest. I mean, saying it may have been an accident, but let's be honest with ourselves, whether benignly or not (somehow) he was almost definitely thinking it. And unless somebody was waving around a boombox playing this then he was probably bouncing it around in his own head.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2012, 09:14:38 pm »

One of the scariest parts for me when I see people like Santorum being treated as serious candidates by anyone at all is that I start thinking to myself, "Hey, maybe those crazy antigovernment militia types have a point". Not for more than a few seconds, but still...

Your ability to consider ideas that you do not like should not be alarming. If you need to shield your mind, that would concern me.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2012, 09:37:43 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyC-7P-LO64
This kind of stuff happens all the time.  There are bigger problems with Santorum than him almost maybe kind of saying something that sounded like it could have been "nigger".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2012, 09:40:53 pm »

I'm still astounded that a man whose name has so few degrees of separation from Dick Buttfroth got this far in a presidential candidacy race.

You're telling me you don't know that the "buttfroth" definition was invented during the campaign in order to make him look silly?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2012, 09:46:35 pm »

It doesn't even really matter. Even if no one said anything against him Santorum is fully capable of bringing apocalyptic ruin to his own campaign just fine.

No wonder Obama is taking it easy right now. Nothing he could ever say would harm Rick Santorum more than Rick Santorum will if left to his own devices. His whole campaign is like watching a slow motion train wreck on a thousand ultra high definition monitors from every possible angle.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2012, 09:48:24 pm »

You're telling me you don't know that the "buttfroth" definition was invented during the campaign in order to make him look silly?
Actually that whole redefinition happened years ago and it was the number one search result for santorum up until a few months ago when he started to surge. I'm not surprised that someone didn't know it was named for this Santorum, especially since Blarg doesn't live in the US.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10