Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Santorum called Obama a nig- on television  (Read 52326 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Santorum called Obama a nig- on television
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 04:23:33 pm »

It could happen to anyone.  I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt in these situations.

I'm with you on this one. He's not someone I agree with, but I'm not going to jump all over him just because he stutters while speaking in front of humongous crowds.

Now, if it turns out that he says this kind of thing in his personal conversations? Then I'd be upset.

That's like saying, "Whoops, I better not drop this shit sandwich, it might get dirty."

I'm glad you have a balanced, fair opinion of other people who might disagree with you. ;)
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 04:25:43 pm »

I dunno, I was loling at...

...He should probably pull out now, because if he doesn't, all this Santorum coverage...

Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 04:48:01 pm »

This isn't even arguable. There's nothing else he could have been saying. He only left one syllable out, and then accidentally put it in anyway when he said "uh" afterwards.

I mean, are you really surprised? This isn't exactly a reasonable person we're talking about here. This is a man who has, among other things, said that prenatal screening is a sinister Obama plot to kill disabled babies.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 04:48:58 pm »

I'm usually the one to give the benefit of the doubt, but in this case, I can't imagine what else he was going to say. Are people saying he was just sputtering some random syllables that happened to be unfortunate?

Tripping up is fine. I just can't think of a benign reason for him to trip up like that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 04:55:47 pm »

This isn't even arguable. There's nothing else he could have been saying.
You don't know that, just because you can't think of anything he might have been saying doesn't mean it isn't arguable or there isn't anything else. For example, he might have been trying to say neophyte.

Regardless, it doesn't much matter what his intentions were since public perception seems pretty well decided on the issue already. I just have a hard time believing that a long time and pretty savvy politician would make such an obvious and amateurish mistake. I mean, Santorum's an idiot, but do you really believe he's that much of an idiot?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 04:57:39 pm »

Nig...otiator?

Nig...erian?

That is about it for non offensive words that start (or seem to start) with "Nig" that I can think of right now.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 04:58:25 pm »

I'm usually the one to give the benefit of the doubt, but in this case, I can't imagine what else he was going to say. Are people saying he was just sputtering some random syllables that happened to be unfortunate?

Tripping up is fine. I just can't think of a benign reason for him to trip up like that.

Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he was thinking, but he almost certainly wouldn't intend to say it. So yes, he tripped up, regardless of whether it was an innocent mistake or an accidental release of a bit of good old fashioned social conservatism.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 04:59:21 pm »

I mean, Santorum's an idiot, but do you really believe he's that much of an idiot?
If he was an idiot, he would've said the word in full.

This is a "what you are in the dark" thing. His public mask slipped off for half a second.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 05:00:33 pm »

This isn't even arguable. There's nothing else he could have been saying.
You don't know that, just because you can't think of anything he might have been saying doesn't mean it isn't arguable or there isn't anything else. For example, he might have been trying to say neophyte.
Government neophyte? Oh come on. I don't like it any more than you do, but most of my countrymen probably don't even know what that word means. Politicians all speak simply as to be understood by as many people as possible.
Regardless, it doesn't much matter what his intentions were since public perception seems pretty well decided on the issue already. I just have a hard time believing that a long time and pretty savvy politician would make such an obvious and amateurish mistake. I mean, Santorum's an idiot, but do you really believe he's that much of an idiot?
No. I believe that deep down he doesn't like people who aren't white English-speaking American Christians and he had a Freudian Slip about it. That can happen to anyone, although almost accidentally calling the President a nigger on television is the most colossal Freudian Slip I've ever seen.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 05:01:29 pm »

This is a "what you are in the dark" thing. His public mask slipped off for half a second.

It wasn't exactly a big secret.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 05:02:46 pm »

Nig...otiator?

That actually makes a lot of sense, in context.  He was trying to lambast Obama for being "The Negotiator In Chief" as the Republican candidates have loved to do, hence the "anti-war" stuff and all, and totally flubbed the sentence halfway through.  That's my theory.

But once again, pity it won't matter.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2012, 05:10:24 pm »

...Niggling? Nigh-Impeachable? Nightclub-Visiting?

Who knows. In any case, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt. There's a chance it could have been a moment of passion, and his public mask almost slipped off... but I'm happier not believing someone's a racist asshat until proven.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2012, 05:11:52 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised, but honestly, why would he call Obama a "government bigger" in context when talking about how he was as a candidate? It makes no sense as a whole.
Love, scriver~

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2012, 05:19:56 pm »

That is about it for non offensive words that start (or seem to start) with "Nig" that I can think of right now.
First, it doesn't even have to be close to what he was trying to say. It's easy to completely mangle a word in public speech. Second, and I've listened to this numerous times, to my ear it sounds like something between [ne] and [nə] then a sharp break followed by a [gə]. It could literally be any word that starts with ni or ne.

Government neophyte? Oh come on. I don't like it any more than you do, but most of my countrymen probably don't even know what that word means. Politicians all speak simply as to be understood by as many people as possible.
Have you ever listened to Santorum speak? It would be completely in character for him to call Obama a neophyte. Hell, Gingrich has called Obama a neophyte.

No. I believe that deep down he doesn't like people who aren't white English-speaking American Christians and he had a Freudian Slip about it. That can happen to anyone, although almost accidentally calling the President a nigger on television is the most colossal Freudian Slip I've ever seen.
I agree that he probably doesn't like non-white non-Christians but I don't think that's enough to say that a misstep of speech is inarguably what you admit is the most colossal Freudian Slip you've ever seen. Extraordinary events require extraordinary evidence and I'm just not seeing it. I think that people are just jumping to conclusions they wish were true.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2012, 05:23:01 pm »

So has the fallout from this hit the cable news yet?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10