Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Santorum called Obama a nig- on television  (Read 52324 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Santorum called Obama a nig- on television
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2012, 05:27:30 pm »

So has the fallout from this hit the cable news yet?

Surprisingly, I flip around cable news fairly often during the day, and I haven't seen it once.  Of course, since it kinda surfaced this morning, most of the day's shows were already written without it.  I'm expecting it to show up around primetime.  I'm sure a blowhard like Ed Shultz will get it on MSNBC before the night's over.  If not, expect to never see it again after the week is over.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2012, 05:32:14 pm »

If he was trying to say something else, wouldn't he have corrected his mistake?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2012, 05:36:54 pm »

As much as I want to grab my pitchfork(Damn shame, I just polished it), I'm leaving this to slip of the tongue, but I can't wait for the media to tear him a new one.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2012, 05:37:25 pm »

I saw one Youtube comment that said he might have been saying "anti-war government negotiator". The "neg-" in "negotiator" does sound roughly identical to "nig-" in a lot of dialects, and it's at least plausible that he was going to say something innocuous like that and didn't realize what it sounded like until it was too late.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2012, 05:39:45 pm »

prenatal screening is a sinister Obama plot to kill disabled babies.
and, despite all of the evidence, says global warming is a myth, and calls the democrats 'Anti-science' which, as someone on these here forums said, is a lot like being a holocaust denier while saying jews are anti-semantic ::)

And is a complete homophobe who has vowed to nullify all currently existing same sex marriages.

I think you meant anti-semitic btw.  Semantics are not inherently Jewish.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2012, 05:40:00 pm »

Is that really how you say negotiator?  And surely if he were trying to say that and stumbled he'd pause, and then say it again rather than moving on and hoping noone noticed.  Or he'd try to rephrase it rather than totally abandoning the entire idea he was trying to express.

I don't really see this "sharp break" - having watched several times in slow motion it sounds completely fluid.  Certainly I don't see the G as being at all disconnected.

and it's at least plausible that he was going to say something innocuous like that and didn't realize what it sounded like until it was too late.
"Anti-war government neguh... sorry, anti-war government negotiator" and I'd have believed that story.  I really don't see how he could both botch the pronunciation of a word so horribly AND decide to just completely abandon what he was saying and move onto something irrelevant.  It seems a lot more like he suddenly realised what he was saying and tried to move on before anyone noticed.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2012, 05:40:24 pm »

Not necessarily. In a public speech the last thing you want to do when you make a mistake is break flow and go back and correct it. It sounds worse, most people probably won't notice the mistake anyway, and it's really easy to lose your place if you do that. In a debate where the focus is on making clear and unassailable points, yeah. In a speech? It just draws attention to the mistake and you end up sounding like GWB.

I don't really see this "sharp break" - having watched several times in slow motion it sounds completely fluid.  Certainly I don't see the G as being at all disconnected.
How are you watching it in slow motion? I'd be interested in doing the same.

And it sounds like there's a glottal stop between the two syllables, but I'd like to hear it in slow motion because it could just be the shift in accent.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:46:06 pm by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2012, 05:43:48 pm »

And surely if he were trying to say that and stumbled he'd pause, and then say it again rather than moving on and hoping noone noticed.

Yeah, it's too bad for him that Noone didn't notice.  If Peter Noone had noticed he could have used his amnesia ray to correct this mistake before it got out in the general populace.

:D
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2012, 05:46:09 pm »

Is that really how you say negotiator?  And surely if he were trying to say that and stumbled he'd pause, and then say it again rather than moving on and hoping noone noticed.  Or he'd try to rephrase it rather than totally abandoning the entire idea he was trying to express.

Actually, yeah, the "neg" in "negotiator" can in fact sound like "nig". I don't know about Santorum's accent in particular, but it does happen.

There's also some obvious kind of jolt/stammer after the "g" sound. There's basically an instantaneous change in inflection, almost a glottal stop, an "uh", and a pause. People don't necessarily pause prior to a filler word like "uh" either when they make a mistake.

Whether he was about to say something horrible or not, the "uh" sound is pretty clearly distinguished from the rest.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2012, 06:00:46 pm »

For the sake of peace, I hope he meant to say nigger. If I understand American politics correctly, a Republican candidate decrying a Democrat president as a niggard would be much, much worse.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2012, 06:02:13 pm »

Re: Negotiator.

Testing how I pronounce it, I do indeed stay it like "ni-go-she-a-tor". So with my midwestern, Utah accent, the first two syllables of each word sounds quite similar.

However I can't really see "negotiator" as fitting in this context. Even with the whole "we don't negotiate with terrorists" shtick, I can't imagine anyone saying "you dirty negotiator!" or similar, and in context the word was obviously going to be an insult.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2012, 06:12:44 pm »

I guess "negotiator" would be a slur in the same vein as "anti-war". I still is pretty odd how he completely screwed up his speech right there, going off into a near incoherent rant as he attempted a recovery. At least Santorum developing a reputation for racist flubs has some entertainment potential.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2012, 06:22:19 pm »

Damn government Nickelback fans.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2012, 06:31:05 pm »

Actually, yeah, the "neg" in "negotiator" can in fact sound like "nig". I don't know about Santorum's accent in particular, but it does happen.

There's also some obvious kind of jolt/stammer after the "g" sound. There's basically an instantaneous change in inflection, almost a glottal stop, an "uh", and a pause. People don't necessarily pause prior to a filler word like "uh" either when they make a mistake.

Whether he was about to say something horrible or not, the "uh" sound is pretty clearly distinguished from the rest.
I can maybe believe the "uh" as a really odd interjection (with no pause?).  But I also think it's almost reflexive to try and correct what you were saying if it was just you stumbling over a word.  But he instead continued with the idea a little ("Of the...") before pausing and moving on to something irrelevant.

The slow motion video is this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLyKe6OAMEU
I guess I could be wrong, but it just sounds pretty fluid.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2012, 06:57:41 pm »

I think some of you are underestimating how much the human brain can screw up trying to say something when a person is old, tired, and has been doing it pretty much nonstop for an extended period of time. He says "Ovama" about a single sentence later; if he had tripped over that word, some of you would probably be saying there's no way he would have put a "v" in the word "Obama".

Christ, once when I was tired I managed to type "piss the moon" instead of "miss the point". I'm not kidding. Brains are pretty messed up, and it's entirely plausible to flub a sentence in a wide variety of perplexing ways, especially under adverse conditions.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10