Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Santorum called Obama a nig- on television  (Read 54132 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Santorum called Obama a nig- on television
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2012, 12:10:07 am »

By polling ~20 of my fellow classmates today, most agree that the slipped word was most likely the 'n-word', with 2 volunteering 'negotiator'. All agreed that the first would be ridiculously offensive and the second completely stupid.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2012, 12:13:44 am »

im looking forward to Mondays daily show
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2012, 12:30:15 am »

Oh geez, I almost feel sorry for the poor bastard after Stewart and Colbert (well, their writers) get onto this.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2012, 03:34:15 am »

I'm still astounded that a man whose name has so few degrees of separation from Dick Buttfroth got this far in a presidential candidacy race.

You're telling me you don't know that the "buttfroth" definition was invented during the campaign in order to make him look silly?

Wasn't it invented prior to this campaign, due to some anti-gay action he took in whatever capacity he held beforehand?

E:Wups, should probably have read all the posts saying 'actually no, g-flex' before I said the same thing.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2012, 06:17:09 am »

Oh geez, I almost feel sorry for the poor bastard after Stewart and Colbert (well, their writers) get onto this.
I fully expect the Daily Show to use the same Army of Darkness reference that I did. It's just too good to pass up.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2012, 06:20:16 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyC-7P-LO64
This kind of stuff happens all the time.  There are bigger problems with Santorum than him almost maybe kind of saying something that sounded like it could have been "nigger".
"...excuse me!  Haha... what I was trying to say..."

I see as is a natural reaction to screwing up your words (it's also more plausible because it's a straightforwards spoonerism rather than suddenly inserting an interjection without any pause into the middle of one).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2012, 10:13:45 am »

This kind of stuff happens all the time.  There are bigger problems with Santorum than him almost maybe kind of saying something that sounded like it could have been "nigger".

I see as is a natural reaction to screwing up your words (it's also more plausible because it's a straightforwards spoonerism rather than suddenly inserting an interjection without any pause into the middle of one).

A politician in the middle of a speech usually is not going to do that most of the time. Usually the thing to do is just act like it didn't happen and move on as soon as possible. Otherwise they just make themselves look more foolish, at least most of the time.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2012, 12:21:27 pm »

A politician in the middle of a speech usually is not going to do that most of the time. Usually the thing to do is just act like it didn't happen and move on as soon as possible. Otherwise they just make themselves look more foolish, at least most of the time.

I disagree.  It's natural human instinct to correct mistakes in speech.  I see it all the time with beginning actors when they stumble over their words.  They will break character, insert an audible pause and repeat their line.  My college director called it "you brought blah on MY stage".  Beating this habit out of actors takes a fair bit of effort.  A Politician wouldn't have this beaten out of them because they should be correcting their mistakes.  If Santorum had corrected his mistake he would be completely in the clear.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2012, 03:11:22 pm »

I disagree.  It's natural human instinct to correct mistakes in speech.  I see it all the time with beginning actors when they stumble over their words.  They will break character, insert an audible pause and repeat their line.  My college director called it "you brought blah on MY stage".  Beating this habit out of actors takes a fair bit of effort.  A Politician wouldn't have this beaten out of them because they should be correcting their mistakes.  If Santorum had corrected his mistake he would be completely in the clear.
Do you really, honestly think if he had corrected it nobody would have called him on it anyway?  He'd have just as much of a mess on his hands as he does now.

Criticize the man because of the insane things he's actually said, not something he didn't.

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2012, 03:21:58 pm »

It's natural human instinct to correct mistakes in speech.

Beating this habit out of actors takes a fair bit of effort.

A Politician wouldn't have this beaten out of them because they should be correcting their mistakes.

If Santorum had corrected his mistake he would be completely in the clear.

Coming to a conclusion that Rick Santorum is actually a well-trained actor paid to get progressively crazier and crazier, making more noticeable and more inflammatory gaffs as the Republican primary drags on just to make Mitt Romney look better in comparison would be an absolutely crazy thing to do…but would explain a lot for me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2012, 03:37:28 pm »

Do you really, honestly think if he had corrected it nobody would have called him on it anyway?  He'd have just as much of a mess on his hands as he does now.

Criticize the man because of the insane things he's actually said, not something he didn't.
The first part is untrue.  He'd have less of a problem if he corrected himself because that would demonstrate what he originally wanted to say and lend a lot of credence to it being a slip of the tongue.  In any case, it's not really relevant - it's reflexive to try and correct yourself when you slip up.  You have to actively stop yourself from doing it.  If he had something to correct it to in his mind, he should've said it at the time rather than ending in the middle of a sentence and moving on.

And I will criticize him based on things he said, such as "anti-war government..." and that line about implying that "blah(ck) people" are dependant on the government.  He said those things.

Incidentally, neither Santorum or his campaign staff have suggested what he was actually trying to say yet.  I guess they need a bit more time to make up recall what he was intending to say, huh?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2012, 03:45:14 pm »

Incidentally, neither Santorum or his campaign staff have suggested what he was actually trying to say yet.  I guess they need a bit more time to make up recall what he was intending to say, huh?
Nah, they're probably just going to take the Deny, Denounce, Demand route.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2012, 03:51:58 pm »

Wait, has it been proposed that politicians in a presidential election haven't been rigorously trained in their speaking habits to conform to what's been statistically demonstrated to inspire the greatest confidence?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2012, 04:03:15 pm »

Repeatedly saying racist phrases by accident inspires confidence?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2012, 05:08:29 pm »

You're right, of course. I should have specified speech patterns and other qualities of how one speaks, rather than the words one actually says. I kind of assumed that was obvious, though. For instance, if corrections make you look inconsistent or stupid, then a politician is absolutely going to be coached to avoid making corrections, because that is going to get votes more often than not, even if this event is a notable exception.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10