Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Santorum called Obama a nig- on television  (Read 52321 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Santorum called Obama a nig- on television
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2012, 05:58:45 pm »

Making corrections doesn't make you look stupid though.  At least, it certainly makes you look a lot less stupid than spouting nonsense and moving on (interrupting your current train of thought in the middle of a sentence... incidentally, are there any other cases of Santorum interrupting a word he was saying with "uh", continuing the sentence for a couple of words then completely abandoning the thought and moving to something else?).  I can't think of many cases where moving on from a mangled nonsense sentence rather than correcting it makes you look better (well, other than if the sentence slipped out unintentionally).

And I feel if he had received such coaching perhaps they could've coached him not to say random syllables in the middle of his words?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2012, 06:14:33 pm »

Guys, what the hell??
5 pages because the word "niggard" sounds like "nigger"?? Really? Even the context clearly points to niggard.
<3

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2012, 06:16:03 pm »

1. I refuse to believe Santorum knows a word I didn't.
2. Counting fail.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2012, 06:18:37 pm »

Guys, what the hell??
5 pages because the word "niggard" sounds like "nigger"?? Really? Even the context clearly points to niggard.
If he had actually said niggard. Which he didn't, at all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2012, 06:21:52 pm »

cooper:
Well, what you need to understand about politics is that often-times the candidates voice utterly idiotic opinions not because they themselves are utterly idiotic but because their target demographic is.

But okay, well, I don't follow the US elections closely, so I don't dismiss the thought that he really is that dense.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:24:19 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2012, 06:23:11 pm »

He didn't get past nig-, and as such hearing niggard would be rather impossible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2012, 06:25:54 pm »

Sorry for that edit.
It's just that the combination "government nigger" doesn't make any sense- even as an insult. Whereas "government niggard" does (as he's talking about Obama unwilling to spend money on the war). But he probably realized half-word that some people won't know the word "niggard" and hear it as "nigger".
That's just a theory of course.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:28:20 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2012, 06:53:11 pm »

Everyone's making way too many excuses for him. Santorum is known to be bigoted against both black and jewish people and has repeatedly said that he doesn't prepare his speechs in advance. Given these two facts, it is far, far more likely that he caught himself half way through a racist slur than it is that he decided off the cuff to use the word "niggard" in a speech.

Just because it's so awful that you don't want to beleive that he really said it does not make it so that he didn't. It means that he is shockingly offensive to the point that it inspires disbelief.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2012, 07:13:12 pm »

It's just that the combination "government nigger" doesn't make any sense- even as an insult.
It makes plenty of sense.  "Black guy above his station" is one of the most classic racial slurs.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2012, 07:21:39 pm »

It's just that the combination "government nigger" doesn't make any sense- even as an insult.
It makes plenty of sense.  "Black guy above his station" is one of the most classic racial slurs.

Its a slur I have heard about Obama dozens of times both online and in real life. It only has to make sense to the people using it.

Though I would note that the phrase "Govornment Issued N*****" is the more common usage from what I have seen.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:23:16 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2012, 07:30:03 pm »

Fun Fact: Typing "Santorum" into Google shows "Santorum n word" as the first suggestion. Doesn't matter what he was trying to say now, he may as well drop out.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2012, 07:31:29 pm »

I actually get "Santorum definition" first.  Which isn't really any better :P.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2012, 07:35:11 pm »

I actually get "Santorum definition" first.  Which isn't really any better :P.

The matter remains unchanged.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2012, 07:47:43 pm »

Everyone's making way too many excuses for him. Santorum is known to be bigoted against both black and jewish people and has repeatedly said that he doesn't prepare his speechs in advance. Given these two facts, it is far, far more likely that he caught himself half way through a racist slur than it is that he decided off the cuff to use the word "niggard" in a speech.

It is. But those aren't the only two options, either.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2012, 08:05:03 pm »

My best bet is still that he planned to call him a niggard and realised just in time that a possible racial slur would be less damaging - denouncing the incumbent as tight-fisted seems hard to reconcile with the usual line and likely to confuse potential voters.
The current situation is going to only outrage those who wouldn't support him anyway (why care?), be mostly shrugged off by potential voters and maybe even garner a few votes among those who think "it needed to be said but you can't with all the damn political correctness".
But maybe I'm ascribing too much reason to it...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10