Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Santorum called Obama a nig- on television  (Read 52328 times)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
Re: Santorum called Obama a nig- on television
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2012, 03:10:44 am »

And so the necromancer GalenEvil commeth and speaketh to the masses of dead and flyblown corpses:

How the fuck did I not hear about this at all in the past month? I would have loved to hear about this! But other than the current negative connotations to the word "nigger" there really isn't anything wrong with using it in everyday speech. The word means, also in a derrogatory sense, "a trashy person". Like "White Trash" people... My grandfather used it as such and said that there are white niggers and there are black niggers. Trashy people are the same despite their racial backgrounds. I have used it on occasion myself when speaking to trashy people of whom I know quite a few.

Just like the Swastika is known almost singlemindedly as the Nazi symbol it is just a historical artifact brought back for a different purpose and is now considered one a social taboo to have or mention...

Well... now that I have read some commentary time to go fish up a youtube or something that might actually contain the period of time Santorum flubbed public speaking 101. Off I go into the interwebs!
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2012, 03:13:08 am »

Santorum is out of the race now, so it doesn't really matter at this point.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2012, 03:16:23 am »

Oh damn... I seem to have missed that announcement as well. I thought that it was just a temporary thing so he could do some family stuff but I guess not. Thanks for the infoz MetalSlimeHunt. I hope that Romney isn't as bad as I think he is, otherwise there won't really be much of a campaign going on this year beyond "oh I hope I win..."
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2012, 09:28:56 am »

No you should not use it in every day usage. Particularly if you mean "trashy person". The word means black. If you use it to talk about trashy white people, you are saying they are like black people and that makes them trashy.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2012, 02:04:34 pm »

I'd heard about the slip, but this is the first time i saw the actual clip. I really didn't hear it myself. All I heard was him stumble over his words like I've heard him do in the past, like everyone does more or less on occasion. I personally don't like the guy, but this isn't anything to really get onto him about. But like others have said, he's on a permanent "suspension" of his campaign, so it hardly matters at his point.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2012, 04:18:03 pm »

No you should not use it in every day usage. Particularly if you mean "trashy person". The word means black. If you use it to talk about trashy white people, you are saying they are like black people and that makes them trashy.

Worse than that, it means "black, in a bad way". It's a slur, has been a slur for an extremely long time, and (aside from recent attempts by african-american culture to reappropriate it, which nobody who isn't a part of that culture should attempt for obvious reason) pretty much always has those connotations.

GalenEvil is forgetting that the "current negative connotations" (which are actually older than anyone currently alive, so calling them "current" is really misleading) are part and parcel of the word itself. Sure, in some alternate hypothetical universe, it could be totally divorced of either the "trashy" aspect or the "black" aspect, but neither of those things are actually true; you might as well say that in some hypothetical world the word "chair" could refer to boats.

If the word is used by people sometimes to refer to whites, it's almost definitely used to project those same black stereotypes onto them, and at any rate, it is completely ridiculous to make any claim that the n-word is divorced of any racially insensitive meaning. It is not.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2012, 11:14:15 pm »

I'm bored of this thread and it kinda looks like it's going in a bad direction.

inb4 the lock
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]