Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox. Beta. Sorta retro, quite nice.  (Read 1523 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've just bought Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox.

It's a bit retro, but hey - half of us are into that here. :P Single player with some online tweaks. Permadeath option (although no special achievements / score bonus for those using it?). Basically at the moment you have your archetypical hero and
* towns
* dungeons
* (boring) NPCs
* Monsters
* Secrets (apparently)
* (Straight forwards) Quests

There is the promise of much content / improvements to come.

One twist is that map content is procedurally generated, persistent, and goes on for ever (theoretically). A bit similar to Minecraft except that everyone uses the same seed. So if you find a really cool bit at [coords] you can let your friends know about it and they can fly there (by gryphon) to see for themselves.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Ehhh.  I think we've been getting into a problem where "retro" becomes code for "shitty archaic design that nobody who remembers the real thing would want to relive."

Like horrible pixel graphics, and this grid-based first person system.  I feel like games were made like that back in the day because they had to be.  I don't want to play a game like that today. 

The open world thing kind of makes it worse.  I heard about the infinite procedural world and that sounded pretty cool, then I realized I'd be experiencing it square by square like I'm playing Dungeon Master.

No thanks :s
Shoes...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Please use the search before starting game threads! I don't usually get bothered about this, but there was a thread on this game just a few days ago with the same name: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110773.0

I donated/funded this, but I wouldn't recommend it currently. Definitely something to keep an eye on though.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.