Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 949378 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3000 on: October 01, 2012, 12:03:54 pm »

It also doesn't invent "another wrench".  Have fun trying to count all the wrenches in all the mods!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3001 on: October 01, 2012, 12:21:25 pm »

Weird, i swear forsakens server was running this mod yet he powered his underwater base with a HV panel.
Yeah I'm using the original mod, not the "Hey guys I picked up this mod and remade it" version.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3002 on: October 01, 2012, 12:37:05 pm »

It also doesn't invent "another wrench".  Have fun trying to count all the wrenches in all the mods!
Screwdriver, IC Wrench, BC Wrench, Forestry Wrench, Crescent Hammer, MFFS Wrench Tool, Arcane Tinkering Tools, Machine Hammer, Draft Gear and Crowbar.

There's probably more, but that's all the ones I have in my personal build.

(Not counting SDK's wrench, because its purpose isn't the same as all these other ones)
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: October 01, 2012, 12:42:57 pm »

Seems like some dwarf could snip code around and make one wrench for any given set of mods...

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: October 01, 2012, 12:44:21 pm »

Omni wrench attempts to do so. But most of the modders are like "NO ITS MY CODE YOU FUCKER DONT TOUCH MY FUCKING SCREWDRIVER BLARGHELGAERHGH"
My cabbages!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: October 01, 2012, 12:47:23 pm »

Yeah, well, fuck them.  I'm tired of 1/2 my inventory being consumed by right-click tools.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: October 01, 2012, 01:01:12 pm »

so much ego in the modding community  ::)

minecraft itself however committed to the one tool = one job mentality

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: October 01, 2012, 01:07:02 pm »

Wasnt there a sonic screwdriver mod? I could be wrong, mind you. But it would be usefull. And its not like any modders are going to find out that the b12ers made their lives easier STOLE THEIR COED WITHOUT ASKING HUEHEUEHUE SUE YOU SUE YOU.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: October 01, 2012, 01:11:18 pm »

Make it anonymously, host it on some nameless fire-sharing site, and post it up claiming "look at what I found somewhere by accident".

Part of the glory of the internet is that they can't hardly find you, and you can rather easily nestle yourself into obscurity.  Rage all they want, it'll still get used.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: October 01, 2012, 01:46:09 pm »

Make it anonymously, host it on some nameless fire-sharing site, and post it up claiming "look at what I found somewhere by accident".

Part of the glory of the internet is that they can't hardly find you, and you can rather easily nestle yourself into obscurity.  Rage all they want, it'll still get used.
Yeah, but if you do it on the MC forums the modders will mayby ban your if they are shitty mods, and if they are good-esque mods under pressure from the MC forum admins your thread will get locked and the link removed.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: October 01, 2012, 02:09:09 pm »

Or just like, make the mod, and refuse to take it down because some overinflated ego damands you do so.

I don't see the need for all this cloak and dagger bs, the only reason shit like mods getting taken down goes on is because the people in power let it happen.
My cabbages!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: October 01, 2012, 02:18:32 pm »

Sure, MC forums are a cesspool of egos, but just post it on B12 where they have no authority.  Let them deny it, we'll still use it!

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: October 01, 2012, 02:18:59 pm »

If I'd made such a mod, I would have posted it here long ago :P
My cabbages!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: October 01, 2012, 02:20:13 pm »

From what I understand there are legal issues around decompiling and back engineering other people's code. The law differs by country. Immibis's power converter mod is a good example; Where Immibis is based it's within his rights to do this but Eloraam could get it removed from the IC2 forums because they are hosted somewhere where it is not.

Edit: if released here could Toady get in any grief?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: October 01, 2012, 02:33:26 pm »

From what I understand there are legal issues around decompiling and back engineering other people's code. The law differs by country. Immibis's power converter mod is a good example; Where Immibis is based it's within his rights to do this but Eloraam could get it removed from the IC2 forums because they are hosted somewhere where it is not.

Edit: if released here could Toady get in any grief?
Technicall, but in practice it's all BS. None of that code would work without Modloader or Forge, which are based on decompiled Minecraft code, which is itself breaking the law. So the modders have the rights to the code if it doesn't use anything from base MC, but without base MC, the code is worthless.
My cabbages!

Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 326