Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 946440 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3015 on: October 01, 2012, 02:35:08 pm »

Technicall, but in practice it's all BS. None of that code would work without Modloader or Forge, which are based on decompiled Minecraft code, which is itself breaking the law. So the modders have the rights to the code if it doesn't use anything from base MC, but without base MC, the code is worthless.
But Notch has said he's OK with it so there is that difference. Don't get me wrong I find it all a bit silly.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3016 on: October 01, 2012, 02:36:25 pm »

He's said he's ok with it, but it's still expressly forbidden by the Minecraft ToS.
A police officer can let you off with a verbal warning if you're speeding, that doesn't make it any less illegal, it's a similar sort of situation here.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: October 01, 2012, 02:54:01 pm »

Basically if anybody ever does go to courts over a mod Notch will be forced to do something about all this. Which spells an end to the current free atmosphere on modding. We likely won't get any sort of updates to anything until the API comes out.

The main threat modders have is suicide.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: October 01, 2012, 02:59:16 pm »

And when you get right down to it, modders may raise a fuss, but their code is free, and lawyers are not.  They can, maybe (big maybe) take you to court, but using who's money?  AdFly's half-penny budget?  It's very hard to make a legal argument when there's no funds changing hands.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: October 01, 2012, 03:06:34 pm »

Whatever happened to the hammaxe or whatever it was finally called that was hammer/axe/pick in one? The super fist was another fun multitool.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3020 on: October 01, 2012, 03:07:02 pm »

Paxel. It was a shovel, pick and axe.

* The Darkling Wolf knows too much about MC mods.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3021 on: October 02, 2012, 06:19:19 pm »

So if any of you remember my dilemma where I was having trouble with an HV solar array factor I proudly announce that I have finished it and it works albeit slowly. Check it here
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: October 02, 2012, 10:23:39 pm »

Wow. That's a lot of effort. You had to build  single tubes out for everything?

I did not understand how routing of stuff works.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3023 on: October 02, 2012, 10:25:58 pm »

I don't understand what that does xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3024 on: October 02, 2012, 10:33:02 pm »

Wow. That's a lot of effort. You had to build  single tubes out for everything?

I did not understand how routing of stuff works.
   Its not single tubes out of everything but a single tube leads down the one side. Most of everything is in one tube system but some of the things needed to be kept separate so they get their own system but in the end I tried to keep as many things as possible in the same line to later on I could maybe streamline it some more and add those tubes that speed things up depending on what they do to colors.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: October 03, 2012, 12:02:18 am »

So I just installed the Technic pack after a long hiatus from Minecraft, and find myself in a polar region. I go about gathering wood for the first time, surprisingly not getting mauled by a polar bear within the first five minutes (unlike my last adventure into the world of Technic) and turn around after seeing my nicely placed volcano to see this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What the actual hell is happening to that mountain? It made a disturbing squishy sound when I poked it, and is spreading fast.

Edit: OH GOD WHY DID I PUNCH THE FAIRY.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 12:05:47 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: October 03, 2012, 12:04:24 am »

Taint.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: October 03, 2012, 12:06:22 am »

It's from Thaumcraft and will make mobs strong. Or something.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: October 03, 2012, 12:09:20 am »

What the actual hell is happening to that mountain?
Actual hell is, in fact, happening to that mountain. That's taint. It spreads. Have Fun~
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Search 'minecraft taint' for spoilers regarding how it works and how to combat it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 12:17:58 am by alway »

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: October 03, 2012, 02:07:32 am »

Thaumcraft adds two types of magic aura. Vis is neutral magic, Taint is a sort of corrupting magic. Their levels are independent of each other. When the taint level gets to a certain point it stops being just an aura and starts changing natural blocks to that purple stuff. The physical taint spreads over surface blocks and doesn't affect the type of blocks that are mostly made by players. If you surround it with cobble or wood planks it will mostly stop spreading once it reaches the edge of its new cage. Do note that it moves through caves, the blocks it spreads to just have to be next to a tainted block and have air access. It also spawns purple plant things that poison you and pump taint into the aura that can spread to and infect the area outside the caged taint.

Probably the best way to deal with it is to run away. If you're far enough away the chunk won't be loaded and the taint can't spread. If you're dead set on living there you should research taint related knowledge to better control it. It's possible to suck the taint out of the aura but it's rather time and resource consuming.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:14:04 am by Leonon »
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 326