Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Why one would give their money to the toad, rather than Sony  (Read 12661 times)

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why one would give their money to the toad, rather than Sony
« on: March 30, 2012, 06:17:00 pm »

So, just now I read this. Sony is putting worse DRM into the PS4, with one of its goals being specifically to weed out used-game sales. It's like Ubisoft with its uPlay pass, but it's for every game and even the singleplayer gameplay!

So basically, Sony is screwing us gamers over more and more. I don't think I'll buy the PS4.. So I was thinking. What games -would- I still pay for?

And then it hit me. So, I open up my Bay 12 bookmark, look for the donate button and OH MY AN UPDATE. Lol. Gotta love indie games.
So yeah. Here's why Bay 12 deserves my money, and Sony doesn't. And I'm not afraid to share it with the world.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Why one would give their money to the toad, rather than Sony
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:35:21 pm »

...Can't remember buying a sony product since 2003.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 06:57:44 pm »

I bet they'll still expect to sell games at the 65-70 dollar pricepoint even though they will have killed the secondary market.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 08:11:19 pm »

Microsoft are allegedly planning something similar with the Xbox 720. It's far too early to take any of this as fact, but if it is true then they're going to see their sales plummet. Second hand games are so popular mostly because of the mind buggeringly high cost of games coupled with q pretty poor level of innovation.

I'm surprised they're actually planning this, graphics technology isn't going to be that much better, both look like they'll have no backwards compatibility and both consoles are still going strong.

Plus there's a global recession, who's going to buy a brand new console at a time when most of us have no money.

Toady gives us a great game for free and deserves our moneys far more.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 08:41:49 pm »

EA just announced the new SimCity title.  Every sim will be an agent acting on its own whims!  All behavior (traffic jams, crashes, fires) will be emergent!  Curvy roads!  Requires an internet connection to log in to their Origin DRM server each time you... wait, what?  I've already got emergent agent-based gameplay, and I'm working on the curvy roads.  It just takes time.

I donate to the Toad and have not bought a AAA title in a long time.  Diablo III might be my next title, but SimCity will definitely not be.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 09:33:57 pm »

I bet they'll still expect to sell games at the 65-70 dollar pricepoint even though they will have killed the secondary market.

Heh... Sounds like you read Shamus Young's site:)
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 10:28:18 pm »

Heh... Sounds like you read Shamus Young's site:)

It's a good point, Nintendo are the worst offenders when it comes to having 3 year old games that still have a launch level price.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 11:02:52 pm »

Il just stick with my 360, im sure il survive.

Also, im sure this will turn out just like the PS3 anyway, like 700$ until like 2 kids beg thier parents for it and it goes down th 200$. Thats sonylogic!
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 12:24:05 am »

I honestly can't recall paying more than $20 for a game for at least one or two years, and most of the games I play on a regular basis are either free or so cheap that they're practically free. Speaking of that, I need to buy one of those prepaid Visa cards so I can donate...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 12:57:52 am »

Funny to see the majority here apparently are X-Box owners... I might have bought an X-Box at some point if I ever saw a game for it that I thought was worth playing, and wasn't better on PC, anyway.

You can talk about how awful that stuff looks to you, but I never really bought used games, anyway.  I tend to wait for a game to be a year old before I play it, and even the unused games are $20 by then.  (It's not like the technology is going anywhere anytime soon.)  Most of my games I buy nowadays over Steam for less than $5.

As long as Playstation has interesting games on it that I don't get in any other place, I'll keep buying the systems, and save my ire for other things.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 02:28:41 am »

If they don't change their prices along with this no one will be able to afford to play on their consoles. Then it will be hacked in a few days and everyone will pirate the games. They will then blame piracy for them not making any money.

I love my computer, steam and desura. I've bought more games even at full price from them than I ever bought full priced console games.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 03:51:33 am »

I have a Gayming-PC a Xbox 3shitty and PeeS3 and still I'm spending more time on this forum than playing on of the above listed gaming platforms.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

lukasrygh23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 04:37:22 am »

I find consoles CAN be fun, but i play on my PC far more, and not just due to cost. Often you find games that are incredibly cheap (or free) that catch your attention, and you play those for years on end. i also find the second-hand market handy (also: i hate EA after they linked online gaming on RA3 to one account, because i lost one account i cant play online with a close friend that i lent the game to)
i dont tend to spoiler my text, i tell ppl the truth. how can u have spoilers in a sandbox(ish) game?

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 06:21:16 am »

Pc gaming was the first casualty in DRMs rise to dictatorship, I don't have an internet connection where I live (mostly I use my phone for posting on this forum) and as such 99% of main stream games are completely unplayable for me even though my laptop is pretty high end.

If they do the same with consoles, requiring constant connection, then they're going to lose allot of people.

I like df because I just download, unzip the file and play.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 07:49:16 am »

I dont play on consoles that much anymore. PC is just a much, much more flexible platform.
Want other textures? BAM, other textures.
Communitys? i dont see those on consoles.
Steam is awesome, because valve doesnt milk all the titles alot. its fair (as far as you can be fair if youre a game publisher). (imho)
Anyway, i think i may donate one day.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5