Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Why one would give their money to the toad, rather than Sony  (Read 12658 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why one would give their money to the toad, rather than Sony
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 01:45:58 pm »

As long as Playstation has interesting games on it that I don't get in any other place, I'll keep buying the systems, and save my ire for other things.
Stop encouraging these companies by giving them money!

"I hate that Sony DRM. Sony is releasing more DRM?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"

:'(
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:48:12 pm by BigD145 »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 02:10:34 pm »

I don't think I played a console game in the last 10 years.

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 02:19:20 pm »

Its really annoying to hear these rumors about DRM, but more annoying to hear that its about Sony. I love Sony. The nintendo may have been my first system, but I'll never forget the good times on my ole PS2. That system held up for so many years... If I had to guess, I'd say anywhere from 5-8 years total. Which is amazing, considering I'm on my 3rd 360. Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper (All time favorite, right here.), Ratchet and Clank. Those games were so awesome... And while I personally don't find much enjoyment in the newer titles, its a shame that any good ones that may come out are going to be blighted by this bull-crap anti-piracy measure.

I just hope Sly 4 makes it out alive. That'll be for the PS3 anyway, though. :\
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 02:31:56 pm »

As long as Playstation has interesting games on it that I don't get in any other place, I'll keep buying the systems, and save my ire for other things.
Stop encouraging these companies by giving them money!

"I hate that Sony DRM. Sony is releasing more DRM?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"

:'(

I honestly can't tell if this is parody or not anymore...

Read what I said again, you will notice that I'm specifically not complaining about DRM.  I'm saying it's not the big deal people claim it is.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 03:53:42 am »

If the next gen consoles do this then I probably won't buy any of them as I buy 90% of my console games used once the prices drop a bit. As far as drm itself, I have no problem with it as long as it doesn't screw with my enjoyment.

Case in point: I loved Diablo I and I still dust off Diablo II on occasion.. but since Blizzard is implementing an 'always connected' thing where there is no local save so you have to be online and connected to their servers to play and save your single player game.. I won't be owning that title.

I have cable internet here at work (and a beautifully lax policy about it's use) but at home I'm stuck with dialup so almost anything that requires an online aspect isn't an option.

Fake Edit: Deleted overlong rant about drm vs piracy in the industry.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 04:13:00 am »

I bet they'll still expect to sell games at the 65-70 dollar pricepoint even though they will have killed the secondary market.

Heh... Sounds like you read Shamus Young's site:)

It's a good point, Nintendo are the worst offenders when it comes to having 3 year old games that still have a launch level price.

Here in Australia, Pokemon Platinum (2009), Pearl and Diamond (2007) for Nintendo DS are still selling for $60-69, which was their launch price.

kragnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • !!noble!! is the most noble of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 07:48:25 am »

Ah Sony, those who brought us rootkits.

Thanks Sony!

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 10:59:41 am »

I've never owned any console other than a gameboy advance, I just don't see that theres any advantage over a good PC. I don't play FPS games or RPGs much so theres no appeal to me. I'm a strategist/city-builder.
While I do have a constant high-speed internet connection, I absolutly despise DRM, online dependancy and especially this rising trend of DLC.
I don't see myself ever buying any console in future unless it's something completly unlike anything we've seen as of yet and is actually favourable to strategy/managment games.

As for SimCity5, I'm very dissapointed to hear it will require constant internet, it actually looked like they might have been able to recouver the series.

I generally have very little hope for even PC games in the near future, let alone for console games.

Also, theres pretty much nowhere I can buy games now other than Steam/Desura seeing as the GAME store chain has gone bust and they were practicaly the only store that still sold PC games (I'm in the UK).

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 11:44:25 am »

Sadly I don't think this DRM thing is going to kill sales all that much. The game publishers realize that 95%* of people who can afford their games also have a decent internet connection. They also know that the people that are likely to buy the games, namely high school kids who just figured out how to internet, are more likely to just pirate them and not pay a thing. Honestly it seems like they're killing 5%* of sales to get back 5%* of sales.

Also, I have to wonder what the point of the new Sim City is. If you don't have massive battles, magma, and a legends mode to track each and every member of your civilization then why play it at all? I bet you don't even have to manage sock production :P

*Percentages may have an unpleasant odor, as they were pulled straight from my ass.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 04:54:37 pm »

DRM's are one of the three things that I absolutely detest about "modern" gaming.
the other two are DLC's (downloadable content.) and Micro-Transactions.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 05:16:24 pm »

Dwarf Fortress doesn't have microtransactions.

It has magmatransactions.

Anyway, I don't own a console, but I've had fun playing them at my friends' houses. If people have fun, that's all that matters.

And I'm not as hate-filled towards DRM as many people, but it also hasn't stopped me from playing a game I've bought, thus far. Of course, I don't buy many games (and other than a couple games on Steam, I don't think I've bought any games with DRM other than a single-use registration code).

Frankly, I've spent more on DF than any other game, at this point. . .but it's also pretty much the only videogame I play, at this point.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 03:31:58 am »

DRM's are one of the three things that I absolutely detest about "modern" gaming.
the other two are DLC's (downloadable content.) and Micro-Transactions.

I hate DRM only when it gets in my way. I don't like having to put in a cd/dvd to play a game when it's installed on the pc and doesn't use the disk for anything. I would be fine with it if the game ran from the disk, but for some reason no-one does that any more. Old games left the music and/or video on the cd, which was fine. I don't mind having to activate a cd key online. I do mind if I'm only allowed to alter the hardware in my pc three times before it stops activating. I do mind if I have to be online the entire time I play a single-player game, especially if random connection hiccups make me lose my progress. I do mind if I can only play the game using the company's servers in some way, and they shut them down after a year.

DLC and microtransactions I'm fine with. It's a way for the developer to make more money from the people who like the game the most, and are therefore willing to pay. If you're not willing to pay, don't get angry at it, just don't buy it.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 04:35:05 am »

Oh, and the PS4 online DRM thing is probably bollocks.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 04:46:00 am »

I have three games on my PS3.

Motorstorm Apocalypse - Required no activation. Online play was fine. If I was DC'd from the internet, then no problems occurred.

Fallout 3 - Required no activation. No online play other than communicating about trophies. No problems if DC'd.

Need For Speed: The Run - Required activation. Good thing my family bought it first-hand; second hand would've been useless as you can only activate it ONCE. Requires connection to the internet to start the game. Requires a working PSN account. Also requires you to sign up to EA's 'autolog' service to play. No local multiplayer.

In comparison, the games I'm playing on PC:

Dwarf Fortress - FREE. NO ACTIVATION. NO ROOTKITS OR SHIT LIKE THAT.
TESIV: Oblivion - Cost money, but no activation, no rootkits. Moddability = >9k.
DC:SS - Free. No activation. No rootkits.
Cave Story - Free. No activation.

ETC. Many of my games are similar to the above four.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 05:09:22 am »

I still have my PS2 and I'm sure as hell I'm not going to buy PS3 or PS4. PCs are flexible. You have to do what companies want you to do when it comes to consoles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5