Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decon Shower help  (Read 1107 times)

Yonasu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Decon Shower help
« on: April 01, 2012, 04:27:55 am »

So im trying to make a decon shower for my little bearded friends. I have played df for year on and off and so, so i got the minimum basics down :) but i havent tried a pumpstack shower before.

its 2 pumps ontop of each other, each facing different ways like shown in the dfwiki.

Everything works, except for water coming everywhere,

bottom z-level, source of the water

middle z-level, actual shower with 2 pumps facing eachother and grates n walls/gear assemblies/axels.
i know i could have done it easier with shorter axels from the top btw :D

top z-level. 2nd layer of pumps, from here it drops.

here you can see the initial result when its turned on, with water going straight south from the left pump ontop of the gear assembly. i got no idea why its spilling all over like that. i tried adding a bigger showerdrain with more grates, first it was just 3 grates in a row. but all that did was that now my dwarves drop what they are holding, ie children, when they pass...

'elp! why is it spilling? pumps spread water over an area?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Decon Shower help
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 04:47:04 am »

I don't understand your design-- mostly because of the tileset.  Is the bottom picture on the same z-level as the second picture?  Are you working from some sort of blueprints?  Where are those blueprints?

Pumped water typically can flow on the turn it's pumped-- unless there's only open space below it.  Which I suppose is what the grates are for-- in the bottom picture, it doesn't appear that you have grates in the right spots.  I'm not surprised that dwarves dropped their stuff- they'll tend to do that when they're drowning.

If you're certain that the design you were following was not supposed to cause job cancellations, then it may be a build order issue.  Did your blueprints specify anything about in what order you were supposed to build the pump stacks?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Yonasu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 04:57:59 am »

Sorry about the tileset, ive been using phoebus since forever so now i cant stop :)
i followed the http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Waterfall bottom example with two pumps ontop of eachother. i got a pair of those so total 4 pumps so i have a double shower.

im pretty sure i have channeled under the grates. though it seems as the two stacks are working differently.. when they are active they keep a 7/7 waterlevel on the middle z-level, the water doesnt seem to fall through fast enough? perhaps i shouldnt pour water right over the dwarves but instead pour it next to them ?

*edit* yes the bottom and 2nd pic are the same z-level.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 05:02:15 am by Yonasu »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 05:15:05 am »

With that design, you will get job cancellations, dropped babies, that sort of thing.  Fact of life.

You need grates directly underneath the output of the top pumps.  Those aren't showing in your bottom picture, I don't think.

Also, I suspect your pumps might not be oriented in the correct direction.  The bottom left pump and the top right pump should pump east to west; the bottom right pump and the top left pump should pump west to east.  (If you don't have grates in the right position with this orientation, they'll be dry.)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Yonasu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 05:22:33 am »

ok i was hoping the pump mechanics were so smart it drizzled water. seems more like it takes 7 water per pump which is kinda hazardous to the poor bearded ones.

The directions are correct, though the top z-level pumps only have grates on the outsides, not the insides cause i couldnt get to that position when i had built the. but its channeled so it shouldnt matter? or does grates make the water run better somehow?

Wish i was better at explaining this or knew the ascii so i could draw a sideview.. perhaps i should stop using phoebus.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 05:13:39 am »

I may be missing some of the details, but I'm gathering that you've made the incorrect assumption that the pumps would work as they do in reality. They move significantly more water up than gravity can pull down if you leave their output uncontrolled as you have. The solution, to avoid flooding other tiles at least, is to add a diagonal bend to kill the pump's pressure before the water drops. It should be noted, however, that this won't guarantee the water won't be greater than 4/7 and thus cause issues with pathing and the like. To counter *that*, you need to add some distance from the diagonal bend and the actual water drop point.

To illustrate:
Code: [Select]
Basic diagonal kill:
########
#####. #
# PP.###
########

To eliminate the >4/7 water from canceling things, you can extend it to slow water:
#############
#####...... #
# PP.########
#############

#: Wall, .: water, P: pump, " ":Channeled tile/pump feed/waterfall

The length of the "pipe" in the second one might need to be tweaked to get the water consistently <4/7, but you get the picture.

I could be mistaken on the issue, though, as it is 3am and I can't make out things as well with a tileset. I think that's mist obstructing the grates on the bottom picture, but I could be mistaken.