Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Short bursts of EXTREME speed  (Read 5811 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Short bursts of EXTREME speed
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 02:44:25 am »

What is the UFC? Utah Fried Chicken?
Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Imagine Professional Wrestling, tone it down a few degrees, and then replace the wrestling with kung fu. Boring kung fu, not that stuff you see in the movies.
The first few were more like Professional Wrestling.  Hell, more like Dwarf Fortress!  Then the really good fighters showed up and its mostly the ref separating them from their death hugs, now. ;)
[ I haven't paid serious attention to it ever, and have only seen a few of them :D ]
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 02:59:52 am »

Have you changed your GFPS cap or any draw methods? Its possible that the game is running at normal speed but you've got something funky going on with it being displayed.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 03:50:12 am »

Have you changed your GFPS cap or any draw methods? Its possible that the game is running at normal speed but you've got something funky going on with it being displayed.
i dont think so
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 07:51:27 am »

I have this happen occasionally too, usually accompanied by a short freeze just before it. The game will freeze up, then "release" and everything that should've happened during the freeze happens at lightning speed. I usually just chalk it up to pathing issues.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 03:20:58 pm »

mine does not do the "pre-burst freeze"
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 04:07:47 pm »

For me this happens with every autosave (seasonal). For about a second everything's fast. I think I'm running the default, though it says "100 (50)" for FPS I think.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 05:20:22 pm »

Yep. I saw this once after I unpaused from an ambush.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 01:11:26 am »

I've seen similar with the half second just after unpausing, however, what Poindexterity and I (and whoever else has it) are seeing is not the same as that.  No pre-burst lag or freeze, and in my case nothing odd happening on map at the time either (e.g., no change in water flow or temp that I'm aware of).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 01:26:25 am »

What is the UFC? Utah Fried Chicken?
Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Imagine Professional Wrestling, tone it down a few degrees, and then replace the wrestling with kung fu. Boring kung fu, not that stuff you see in the movies.

Have you seen the end of 'Bruno'?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 02:07:53 am »

For me this happens with every autosave (seasonal). For about a second everything's fast. I think I'm running the default, though it says "100 (50)" for FPS I think.
Yeah, the seasonal autosave and/or water freezing or melting seems to cause a period of lag, after which the dorfs (and everything else) "warps" ahead at lightning speed for a second or so.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 [2]