Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Short bursts of EXTREME speed  (Read 5801 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Short bursts of EXTREME speed
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:41:50 pm »

I don't know what's doing it, but I'll have these half hour periods or so where every 2 seconds, my FPS will seem to skyrocket into the 100's without changing the FPS counter at the top of the screen. But for a split second every 2 seconds or so, everything will speed up. Dwarves will seem to teleport two or three squares, bits of flashing yellow rock wall with the miner close by would just turn into stones, things like that. Anyone seen this?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Short bursts of EXTREME speed
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 09:43:29 pm »

Opposite of lag huh?

I've never really heard of anything like this though.  It could be large groups of hidden mobs / ambushers leaving your map I suppose.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:52:50 pm »

I was noticing the same thing in both my 34.05 and 34.06 fortresses. When it happens it was like every 15 to 30 seconds, and lasting for about 2 seconds, everything on screen would double in speed -- half as long to dig, move, whatever.  Didn't happen continuously, but often enough, and noticeable enough, that I would check the FPS counter.  Like you, it didn't seem to show anything different.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 09:54:20 pm »

I was having that the other day. Thought it a little strange, but chalked it up to computer weirdness.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 10:03:20 pm »

Whatever it is that's reducing your FPS isn't something that happens every frame. Pathing, maybe?

I'd say the "burst" is normal framerate, and you've got something going on significantly reducing it that isn't going on all the time.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:05:13 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:07:16 pm »

Whatever it is that's reducing your FPS isn't something that happens every frame. Pathing, maybe?

I'd say the "burst" is normal framerate, and you've got something going on significantly reducing it that isn't going on all the time.
For me it happened both with just my 23 dwarves and less than a dozen animals (maybe another dozen wild animals), and when the necromancer hunter and necromancer potash maker were animating the 43 muscle shells in my refuse pile to attack my 23 dwarves (which, by the way, is an AWESOME way to train your military dwarves!).
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 11:25:25 pm »

Have you considered the possibility that you may be schizophrenic?  If so, I suggest you do.  Don't tell anybody though, they'll just know you're crazy and persecute you.  No, it is probably best to just worry about it by yourself, late at night, under the covers, as you peek outside to see if the leaves occasionally fall twice as quickly for a couple of seconds...
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 12:05:10 am »

Have you considered the possibility that you may be schizophrenic?  If so, I suggest you do.  Don't tell anybody though, they'll just know you're crazy and persecute you.  No, it is probably best to just worry about it by yourself, late at night, under the covers, as you peek outside to see if the leaves occasionally fall twice as quickly for a couple of seconds...
WHO SENT YOU?!?!?!

yourilluminatimasterswillneverfindme

STAY OUT OF MY FILLINGS!!!
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 04:42:35 pm »

What if he is your fillings?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 07:59:44 pm »

Just had a burst of extreme speed when several kobold thieves were discovered by a guard dog, after I unpaused the game after the "protect the hoard" message. It was kind of weird. The game auto-paused a second time when more thieves had been discovered, but those thieves were already 8 tiles from the dog and running away. The first kobold already had 4 pages of combat with the dog and was crawling away wounded 3 tiles away.

If there is a bug here, it might be hard to pin down. It could be that certain combat code ignores the FPS cap, for example.

EDIT: the dog was also strangling the kobold's throat for a while with it's right rear leg (with a chokehold!) while the kobold was knifing the dog. I didn't know dogs could join the UFC.

EDIT2: hmm... got the positions wrong. The kobold is unconscious on top of a closed hatch, the dog is on the z-level below the kobold (under the hatch). Both are unconscious, and both are still grappling (according to the purple flashing tiles). No sense is being made.

EDIT3: the dog strangled the kobold thief to death while both were still unconscious, through a closed hatch.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 08:20:41 pm by Urist Da Vinci »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 08:30:28 pm »

EDIT: the dog was also strangling the kobold's throat for a while with it's right rear leg (with a chokehold!) while the kobold was knifing the dog. I didn't know dogs could join the UFC.
Sounds like yet another instance of bug# 373 to me.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 01:36:20 am »

What is the UFC? Utah Fried Chicken?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 01:39:35 am »

Urist Fried Cobold/Kobold.

I'd say you've got your FPS cap too low, and you're getting oddities.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 02:29:09 am »

Urist Fried Cobold/Kobold.

I'd say you've got your FPS cap too low, and you're getting oddities.
Don't know about the OP, but I'm using the default settings (unless Phoebus changed those and I wasn't aware of it).

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 02:32:56 am »

What is the UFC? Utah Fried Chicken?
Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Imagine Professional Wrestling, tone it down a few degrees, and then replace the wrestling with kung fu. Boring kung fu, not that stuff you see in the movies.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: [1] 2