Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assigning different Graphics to the four Antmen castes.  (Read 2895 times)

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Assigning different Graphics to the four Antmen castes.
« on: March 31, 2012, 03:59:16 pm »

So, I'm in the process of drawing some Antmen graphics and I've been wondering if there's a way to assign different graphics to the castes (like you would assign different graphics to dwarfs with different professions).

I tried

Code: [Select]
[SOLDIER]
[QUEEN]
etc

[CASTE:SOLDIER]
[CASTE:QUEEN]
etc

and

[CASTE_SOLDIER]
[CASTE_QUEEN]
etc

So, short of modding them to be different creatures altogether I take it that there is no way to give them different graphics?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Assigning different Graphics to the four Antmen castes.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 04:53:03 pm »

No, caste-specific graphics still aren't implemented.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 04:57:46 pm »

Maybe you could set it up so that certain castes get certain professions, and assign graphics to those professions? Not sure if that's possible, but if it is it *should* work...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 09:43:54 pm »

You can do two things.

1. Mod in different profession sprites. This way you can see spearantman and swordantmen and so on, but not the caste difference.

2. Add ADD_COLOR instead of AS_IS in the graphics file and add CASTE_COLOR:x:x:x to each caste. Now you can see a direct difference of the castes. They still use the same sprite, but with individual colors. (This is the 6 time I do post this trick... is it not in the wiki?^^)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:24:52 pm »

Maybe you could set it up so that certain castes get certain professions, and assign graphics to those professions? Not sure if that's possible, but if it is it *should* work...

It is possible and it does work, I've used it in the past.  You have to set the skill learn rates to 0 for the undesired professions so the creatures don't change cast when they level up, though, which makes it ... sub-optimal.

If you give the casts a self-targeting interaction that turns them into a different creature, will they use that creature's tiles and keep their old allegiances?  That seems like a better solution for the current version.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 10:27:10 pm »

Fancy stuff here, just to change the looks of a cave civ. I was planning for a mix of the proposed techniques for my invaders, and I am not looking forward to this.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:50:07 pm »

Actually, here are two things you can do:

One, you can use custom professions, and then set each caste to have a naturally high level of skill in a given random profession, so they all look like that one profession.  This only works for CAN_LEARN creatures, however. 

Two, you can forgo graphics entirely, and set specific tileset tiles to each of the four castes.  This will require you sacrifice 4 tileset tiles, one for each caste.  This can get tricky if you are already using most of your tileset tiles for other things, as most of the tilesets already do.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 04:44:24 am »

Actually, here are two things you can do:

One, you can use custom professions, and then set each caste to have a naturally high level of skill in a given random profession, so they all look like that one profession.  This only works for CAN_LEARN creatures, however. 

Two, you can forgo graphics entirely, and set specific tileset tiles to each of the four castes.  This will require you sacrifice 4 tileset tiles, one for each caste.  This can get tricky if you are already using most of your tileset tiles for other things, as most of the tilesets already do.

Hmm. These solutions sound inviting. Especially I don't use any of the unused tiles in my graphic set, actually. And I'd only need it for the Antmen
What arguments does [CREATURE_TILE:] take? The actual symbols in single quotation marks and 0-255 without quotation marks I presume?

And would using professions have any side effects? How would I add a natural affinity for a profession? I figure my graphics might be used a lot with different ASCII tilesets so that might be a better option.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 11:50:54 am »

If you want caste tiles, the tag is [CASTE_TILE:x], and yeah, those arguments are correct.

Natural skills are the [NATURAL_SKILL:skill:number] tag.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 11:55:39 am »

You may find this wiki page useful if you are using the CASTE_TILE token: it lists the numbers for every tile, and which ones are used/unused by the game.

Also, Skill Token, if you are doing the skill thing: make sure you get the right conjugation of the skill names.  The game will reject "MASON", and only accepts "MASONRY".
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:57:24 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare