Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: SO MANY REINFORCEMENTS (Let's Play Super Robot Wars J)Current Series: Voltes V  (Read 100319 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: SO MANY REINFORCEMENTS (Let's Play Super Robot Wars Judgement)
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2012, 07:59:42 pm »

As the pilot stats segment mentioned, it increases critical hit rate (Maybe? I know it does it in other games), and increases the chances of a "reaction" ability (ala Counter Cut, Shoot Down, fields always activate if energy is available though) activating. Which would explain why akito got a handful of counter cuts and shoot downs last mission.

EDIT: I'll be back in a bit, gotta do something. Stat retrievals and such will have to wait until I get back obviously.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:04:52 pm by Seriyu »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2012, 08:05:39 pm »

I'd probably say sink some energy upgrades into the flagship if it'll let you. I've... already forgotten how soon it starts letting you do that. But yeah, a bit more EN for Nadesico, for delicious beam artillery. Probably just one or two, for now.

Never was particularly fond of the Aestivalises or Combattler, so I probably wouldn't suggest bothering with them much :P

I also completely forget if J lets you sink PP into piloting abilities or not. *goes and checks* Nope! Well then. No real suggestions for training, other than a general "Improve strengths, don't bother shoring up weaknesses" thing; i.e. Range/hit/defense/ability (in that order of preference, more or less) on Yurika. Except for hit, I guess. Anyone that doesn't have strike probably wants hit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2012, 09:27:02 pm »

We can indeed sink energy upgrades into the flagship now, and it is sound advice for people that are more interested in min/maxing then using favorites.

Really I don't really consider any units "bad" in this game, mostly due to the pretty simple difficulty, (Which is not to say there are not units that demolish the competition far greater then any other robot could hope to, my no!) aside from maybe boss borot, and even then you can definatly get him to a workable state, and his "secret bonus" is actually really nice given what he is.

For those of you that don't know who boss borot is, you're in for quite the surprise! :D

Annnd for anyone new to this, strike is a spirit command that sets a unit's hit rate to 100% for the entire turn. Very handy against bosses/on super robots/battleships.

I need a teacher emote.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:46:36 pm by Seriyu »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2012, 11:39:47 pm »

After some Wikipedia research, I'd say we'd definitely want to power up Boss Borot!  And it'll be relatively cheap, too!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2012, 11:42:52 pm »

I vote for Borot to be self-destructed in every mission possible :P Keep a running tally!

These requests may not run counter to one another.

I've never actually used Borot for... anything. Not even to explode. In any of the SRWs I've played. Might be interesting!
Ask not!
Ask!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2012, 11:58:13 pm »

I vote for Borot to be self-destructed in every mission possible :P Keep a running tally!

These requests may not run counter to one another.

I've never actually used Borot for... anything. Not even to explode. In any of the SRWs I've played. Might be interesting!

I approve of this idea, and find it to match the idea of powering up Borot.  Power up the boom-boom!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2012, 12:02:01 am »

I would be entirely okay with this. I like borot.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2012, 04:12:07 pm »

Okay, starting the update. 2/3 votes had a common category of "don't spend any money", so we'll go ahead and do that!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2012, 06:48:33 pm »

No money spent on upgrades! Given our current robot selection I don't blame you. A whole three of em. But onward!

The scene is set at a UEFA base in Panama.

Mystery Figure (bottom): Nergal really did it this time. Did you see their warship? They've taken a veritable age to build it, and now they say they want to use it for private purposes. And under our circumstances? What a joke!

Mystery Figure (top):Ha! I couldn't agree more. Still, it looks like the Captain is Misumaru's daughter. We're confident he'll be able to reason with her.

Mystery Figure (bottom):It all looks like maneuvering from those Nergal people.Our Federation cannot allow them to have their way without losing its dignity in the process. The Committee has therefore agreed to take drastic measures. Yes... The Nadesico will be ours soon enough.

Colbert:Making a private warship in a time of crisis? Dammit, Nergal, there's a time and a place for jokes, and this isn't it! We saw their battle on the lunar surface, and we can't disregard their effectiveness. What do you have to say about this, Adm. Misumaru? If I remember correctly, the Captain of the Nadesico is your daughter.
Considering a fourth or so of the attacking force got wrecked by a single aestivalis I don't think THEIR effectiveness has anything to do with it pal.

That's misumaru, despite the name, by the way.

Colbert: That ship is stronger than the ones available to our military. Rather than have it fight the Jovian Lizards, we'll use it to intimidate PLANT. That's the final decision of Joint Operations HQ. Admiral, you are hereby ordered to capture the Nadesico by any means necessary, at the cost of your life if need be. Don't let me down!

Kochiro: ......

Meanwhile, in a montainous region of japan

UEFA Soldier (bottom): Argh, damn you Reclaimers and your Grand Chers!
So the brain power'd plot begins. It was directed and written by the director of the original gundam series, incidentally.

UEFA Soldier (top): Why do THEY get to recover the plate?!

Kanan: So that's the Plate?

Kanan:That may be, but we have to recover all Plates, no matter what kind they are. Right?

Yuu:Well, you're certainly dilligent. Are you happy about all this, Kanan?

Kanan:I'm pleased with this Antiobody, and to be the pilot of a Grand Cher. Besides, don't your parents lead the Reclaimers, Yuu? What reason to you have to complain?

Yuu: That's n-

The ground shakes.

Yuu: Another earthquake?

Kanan: Yuu, we've recieved a new Plate reaction! I'll ask Quincy Issa for further instructions.

Yuu:"Collect each and every Plate!" is what she said, right? Let's hurry! If we enter combat with either the UEFA, or the Jovian Lizards, we're in trouble.

Scene shift to a ruined city, an explosion rocks the city, frightening a nearby person, Hime.

Hime:W-What was that? A plate...?

Hime:"Revive," huh? I guess that Plate can give birth to Antibodies, then...

Something happens with the plate, and a large creature emerges.

Yukio:Did one of those Grand Cher things come out?!

Hime: ...It seems a little different than the rest.

Akari: Hime, watch out!

Hime:It's all right. I'm not getting any bad vibes from this one. His eyes are so gentle... And he was just born, so I'm sure he must be a little confused, too. Isn't that right?

Hime:Can I enter you through here...? All right, here we are... So, what are you going to do now? What do you WANT to do? You're only a few minutes old, but you must have something in mind, right? Can you stand? Here, let me teach you!
We've got giant organic things that function similarly to robots! This is a good thing, but I'll get to that later. Much later.

Brain:......

Hime:Huh... Is there something wrong?

The plate turned into Brain. I doubt they're gonna be happy about that.

Kanan: Yuu, look!

Yuu: No way... The Plate revived THAT soon?! Kanan, that isn't a Grand Cher!

Kanan:A brain powered... It looks like it's being adjusted by someone.

Hime:Another Antibody? What's the matter? Shhhhh... Calm down. There, there. Are those your friends?

Yuu: It's moving?! Tch... We have our mandate. All Brain Powereds must be destroyed upon Revival! Kanan! Hey. you! Over there! You shouldn't be riding that thing!

Kanan: Get out of there! It's dangerous!

Hime:Why?! Aren't your Grand Chers Antibodies just like him?!

Yuu: Brain Powereds are not to be used! If you won't abandon it, I'll have to destroy it! H-Hold on, Kanan!

Apparently very capable despite being born just recently.

Kanan: That Brain Powered... I can't believe how strong it is!

Hime: Oh, wow! You were incredible, Brain!

Yuu: ...D-Damn you!

Hime: My name isn't "damn you"! It's Hime Utsumiya! This little guy was just born. He was ready to try flying! Why did you come out of nowhere and attack him?!

Yuu: The Grand Chers enforce the will of Orphan!

Hime:Get a grip! Isn't Orphan some kind of ruin that's causing earthquakes around the world?!

Yuu:Orphan's ways aren't for you to understand!

Hime: What kind of attitude is THAT?! According to the news, all you Reclaimers do is obsessively fly around the world collecting the Plates in launches! Why?!

Yuu: Tch!

Kanan: Yuu, we're out of time. Let's head back! A battalion from the UEFA is on its way. If we engage them, the Jovian Lizards will probably show up, too.

Yuu: Hmph...
Yuu is obviously taken aback. Yuu and Kanan vanish.

Hime: He disappeared? he must be around my age, but he pilots a Grand Cher and works for the Reclaimers... Just who WAS that boy?

Back to the Nadesico finally. The prospector is talking to Akito about using the Aestivalis without permission.

a decoy for our launch, so, ah... We're not going to reprimand you. We aren't soldiers, after all.

Akito:Thank you.

Prospector: In exchange, we want you to act as our reserve pilot. It pays better than being a cook!

Gai: Aren't you gonna yell at him or something?! He took my place and launched on his own!

Calvina: Weren't you the one who gave himself a broken leg?

Gai: Uh, well... He doesn't give the Captain the respect her rank deserves, either!
Give it up Gai. Roll with it.

Calvina:They're acquaintances. If we were the army we may have been unable to overlook that, but we're not, so we won't. Let's not sweat the small stuff, okay? Akito Tenkawa, what kind of combat experience do you have?

Akito: That was my first time, actually...

Calvina:You have good instincts. I'd say you just signed up for a lecture on Jovian Lizard mobile weapons and tactics. Meet me on the bridge later.

Akito:Wait, wh-?

Calvina:Why? Because that's my job. I don't need another reason.

Akito: B-But, I'm a cook... That's all I signed up for!

Calvina: Well, it's not like I don't understand how you must feel, but...

Noal: Man, what the hell's up with him?
Oh hey, kinda forgot about Noal.

Prospector Outer Space Development Group personnel! Nanbara Connection personnel! Welcome to the Nadesico!

Aki: The pleasure's ours. Thanks for bearing with us.

Megumi: New arrivals are entering the hangar. Please be careful.

Gai: Whooooooa! Is that the legendary Steel Fortress, Mazinger Z?!
Steel fortress is right. We'll get to that when we use him in combat though.

Hyoma: Aphrodite A's here, too!

Chizuru: Looks like Koji and the others are coming along for the ride, too.

Prospector: Well, you were certainly expedient. I never imagined you would get here so quickly.

Koji here is the pilot of the Mazinger Z. Mazinger Z is the benchmark series for Super Robots, much as the original gundam was the benchmark series for real robots. Mazinger Z fired the first rocket punch, Mazinger Z had the first mysterious mostly unexplained power source (I think), it's all there.

Hyoma: What, are you guys coming along for the ride? Don't tell me Prof. Yumi took Nergal's contract hook, line and sinker?

Yurika: Um, why are you guys still in the hangar?

Hyoma: Well, we just came aboard, so it's not like we know left from right...

Yurika: I see, I see! In that case, I'll have someone to show you to your rooms.

Chizuru: Please do. And er... Who are you?

Yurika: I'm Capt. Yurika Misumaru! Hello, everybody! Welcome to the Nadesico!

Noal: Captain?! Weren't you the one who was... wait a sec...

Hyoma: I don't believe it...

Koji: What's everyone standing around slack-jawed for?

Akito: ......

We finally reunite after all these years, and now you seem to hate me... What happened on Mars? Why are you so angry?

[b[Akito:[/b] If you really want to know then I'll tell you. My parents... were mudered!They died the same day your family left Mars, just as I was watching you leave.

Yurika: Huh...? No way, dad didn't say anything about that!

Akito: I want to learn the truth. Someone killed my parents for a reason. But... there's a chance I may be killed before I can learn the truth.

Yurika:Akito, I don't believe it... This dark and serious air of yours... ...It's too cool!

Akito:Huh?

Megumi:Captain! Captain, where are you?

Yurika: Hmmm?!

Megumi: Geez, stop leaving your post so often! Something's about to be announced. Please return to the bridge.

Minato: ... Those folks from the Outer Space Development Group weren't combat personnel.

Ruri:True. The Blue Earth isn't a fighter craft, either.
Clearly.

Megumi:Then... what are they doing here?

Prospector: That's a reasonable question. Ms. Hoshino, please activate the ship's internal broadcasting system, please.

Ruri:As you wish.

Prospector: Er, hello, everyone! Due to the pressure of the army's investigations, I'm afraid we're unable to divulge serious details on the Nadesico's objective for now. Rest assured, Nergal built this particular warship for precise purposes. and a very particular reason. From this moment on, this ship will pursue the goals of Project Sciaparelli, with no ties whatsoever to the military.

Megumi: Mars?!

Calvina:Nergal was planning another one of their outrageous stunts, huh?

Jun:Yurika, did you know about this?!

Yurika: Of course! I AM the Captain, after all! *giggle*

Akito:(Mars... So, I'm going to Mars again...?)

Jun: Doesn't that mean Nergal is ignoring the current problems on Earth, though?

Prospector: Several colonists were sent to Mars - the same people who were abandoned by the Federation when they decided to focus on protecting the Earth Sphere. PLANT, the Anti-Federation Nations and even Orb are staying silent about the Mars situation. At this rate, the people of Mars are going to-

Ruri: They're all dead, aren't they?

Prospector: We don't know, but we have every intention of finding out.

Akito: I'm sure they must be alive! There's no way they'd just... up and die like that!

Megumi:Is that why you guys are here, then?

Hyoma: Well, sorta... we're here to kick some Jovian Lizard butt, either way!

Koji: Yeah, and we aren't about to abandon the people on Mars, either!

Aki: The "Cosmic Culture Club" was a Federation-backed cultural exchange program for children. The OSDG sponsored a trip to Mars for several members of the program before everything fell apart. As such, we're tagging along to find out if they survived, and report the results to their families.

Noal: And if the brats ARE still alive, we're duty-bound to bring 'em back. That's the reason our Chief agreed immediately when he got word from Nergal. We were the ones sent for the job, but I never thouht we would be on a ship quite like this!

Gai: Comrades who march to a gruelling battle for the sake of Mars! Ooh, my blood is burning! Can you feel it?! Can you feel the blaze of justice burning in my SOUL?!

Ruri: ...Idiot.

Prospector: Well, that's it for introductions. After we finish the final departure procedures, we'll set course for Mars. I'm counting on each and everyone of you!

Fukube:In that case... Please continue with the departure procedures, Captain.

Yurika: Understood! Whoa! I was so busy I didn't even get to talk with Akito...

Ruri:Captain.

Yurika: Maybe... Maybe he doesn't want to see me because he's gotta show respect to me as the ship's Captain! Yeah, that must be it!

Ruri: Captain... Captain!

Yurika: Yes?

Ruri: A UEFA fleet is approaching.

Yurika: Just leave them be, Ruri. I'm in the middle of a br-

Ruri:Even if they're surrounding the Nadesico?
Welp.

Yurika: Huh? They're surrounding us? Why?

Megumi: Captain, incoming transmission from a Federation ship. I'm putting it onscreen.

Ooooooh! You seem to be doing great, Yurika!

Yurika: What is it, Father?

Kochiro: Command has decreed the Nadesico be put under military command. This is an order. Please forgive me... Your dear old dad is just as upset as you are.

Prospector: Well, that's strange... I was sure we finished negotiating the whole deal with the UEFA, didn't we? The Nadesico is Nergal's private property, and is to be used as we see fit.

Kochiro: To be perfectly honest, the army desperately needs a weapon to both fight the Jovian Lizards and suppress PLANT's arbitrary actions. Please surrender the ship at once. Resistance is meaningless and will be met with force. ... Or at least, that's what they wanted me to say. Come on, Yurika! Just listen to your dad like the wonderful girl that you are!

Jun: Yurika... The Admiral's right. They're totally ignoring the situation on Earth by sending this warship out to Mars.

Fukube:We're not soldiers. We have no obligation to comply.

It would appear Fukube has a bit of a history.

Fukube: ......

Koichiro: So, Yurika... -Please- hand over the ship, okay?

Yurika: Understood... But before that, I have one thing to ask you, Father.

Prospector:Stop, Captain! That's a contract violation. The Nadesico is exclusive property of Nergal! To consent to it's restraint and capture is-

Koichiro:Oh, you're going to hand it over? Thank goodness... Ask away, my dear!

Yurika:It's about the Tenkawa family... They were our neighbors on Mars.

She explains the situation of Akito's Family.

I would have caught word of the incident by now if-

Yurika: Please, tell me the truth!

Koichiro: Hmmm... I may have heard a thing or two about this. Telling you was only going to make you cry, however, so I, er...

Yurika:I understand, Father.

Koichiro:Oh, you do? Well, in that case, I'll be right over to grab the master key, and-

Yurika: Minato, raise the engines' output to full! Ruri, activate the Distortion Field!

Koichiro:Y-Yurika?!

Yurika:I don't care if we get a little beat up! Force our way through the Federation fleet's formation!

Jun: Wait, what are you doing, Yurika?!

Minato: Ah, the Captain's an extreme girl, I see... The engines are ready!

Ruri:Distortion Field activated. Breaking through the enemy's formation!

Megumi:Wow, little Ruri! Did you just crack a smile?

Ruri:Not really, no...

Yurika:All personnel, take anti-shock positions! Full speed ahead!

Koichiro:Yurika, wait! Yurika!

Yurika:I'm a captain. I can't just abandon my ship at the first sign of trouble! That's what you taught me, Father!

Koichiro:YURIKAAAAAAAA!

Koji: We're breaking through the Federation fleet?!

Sayaka: Another outrageous stunt from the Captain, I guess...

Noal:Seriously? How incredibly reckless! What the hell's rattling around inside our Captain's head, anyway?

Gai: Whoa, that's some burning passion right there! Yeah, definitely... That's the way things should be DONE!

Calvina:We can't turn back ow. The army is going to use force next time, and they're probably going to come at us with everything they've got.

Hyoma:That'll be our cue, then!

Koji:Doesn't seem like we've got much of a choice, that's for sure.

Chizuru:Still... are we really going to make the UEFA our enemies?

Calvina:Our alternative was to hand over the ship. Not exactly an acceptable choice.

AkitoI just want to help Mars. The military only thinks about the Earth. That's why I have to-

Gai:There you are, cook! Whoooooaa, can you feel that?! Our blood burns! ...For JUSTICE!
Lemme just say when you're transcribing 18000 letters worth of text, you hate it whenever Gai shows up.

Ruri: Captain, a Tulip has been sighted dead ahead. It completely swallowed the intercepting Federation warship, Crocus. It is also deploying Jovian mobile weapons.

Fukube: Blast... They're going to breach our perimeter, Captain.

Yurika:Okay, then! All personnel, assume battle positions! Once we take care of the Jovian Lizards, we'll be free to go to Mars!

Tomorrow, Mazinger Z vs The Federation Army! Also other guys.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:43:30 pm by Seriyu »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2012, 07:06:39 pm »

Apologies if you're already doing this and I am just unobservant, but could you like point out which series a plotline is from when it's first introduced? I am having trouble telling them apart :/
It's FEF, not FEOF

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2012, 07:22:22 pm »

AyeAye! I think I've actually done it for everything except Nadesico, But I can certainly step it up, and I don't mind doing it. Also I think I've been leaving the pilots out too, sooooo hmm.

Anyway, brief loadout of what we've seen so far. The aestivalises, Gai, Akito, Nergal, The prospector, Yurika, Uribatake, Ruri, that entire crew, Yurika's dad, All nadesico. Jovian Lizards are an enemy from Nadesico. Just remember the Jovian part, the entire enemy thing has nothing to do with lizards, in robot design or otherwise. It's an odd name.

Calvina is an original obviously, since she was picked.

Mazinger Z is from Mazinger, obviously, Sayaka/Koji both from Mazinger.

Combattler V is Combattler obviously, including all it's pilots (Hyoma, Juzo, Chizuru, Daisuke, and Kosuke)

Noal and Aki and by extension the blue earth (forgot to introduce this series too, actually), is from tekkaman blade.

UEFA in general is I thiiiiiink gundam seed? Colbert is, I think. If any gundam seed specialists wanna clarify, feel free. A lot of real robot shows have a generic earth federation kinda thing though, and I dunno if gundam seed specifically used UEFA.

Brain, Hime, those kids with her, Yuu, and Kanan, and the grand chers and antibodies are from brain power'd (Yes, the missing e is intentional, I'm not sure why.)

Good thing you brought this up now, because the next few missions kick the plot crossover factor up quite a bit. :P

If you (Or anyone else!) have any more questions, please let me know, I'd be happy to clarify. I enjoy doing it, in fact!

EDIT: I just realized I forgot to assign pilot points. I'll specify what I added to who at the beginning of the next update.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 08:49:16 pm by Seriyu »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2012, 08:21:50 pm »

Almost done. I'll definatly be doing the post mission dialogue tomorrow, rather then today. I'll have to start getting half of the mission update ready before the actual day I upload it in the future.

We're only on mission two and we've already got an update that takes me 4 hours to do.  :P

EDIT: That mission could not have ended better.

EDIT2: AAAHHHHHH I FORGOT TO TURN ON IRFANVIEW I'M THE KING OF IDIOTS. Luckily this just means I need screenshots, the easiest part. Gimme a bit longer.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:43:05 pm by Seriyu »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2012, 10:00:32 pm »

Incidentally, pilot point distribution is Akito 1 point into evade, combattler 2 points into melee.

Also I'm an idjit and had to go back and get screenshots, so there may be some minor inconsistancies. I got rid of most of the big ones.

ON TO THE DEATH GAMES
But first more talking

Gai:Okay, let's go!
Calvina: What about your broken leg?
Gai: They gave me a ton of painkillers! Once they wear off, I'll be screaming like a little girl!
He's tenacious, you've gotta give him that. Incidentally Gai, the Nadesico, the prospector, all of the pilots of the nadesico (it has five, Yurika, Ruri, Jun, Minato, and Megumi), Yurika's dad, and any aestivalises are from the series "Martian successor Nadesico", as I think I forgot to mention this stuff earlier.
Calvina:Is that so? ...Fine.
Uribatake:Once you launch, be sure not to move away from the Nadesico's Gravity Wave Beam. It's represented by a grid of yellow squares on your HUD and- ...Hey, are you even listening?!
Gai:Now's my time to shine! Tenkawa, you stay here on standby! All right, Professor! Open the Lab barrier!
I know Gai is trying to sound like an anime badass but most of the time he seems to come across as a genuine "ranting on the street corner" crazy person.
Juzo:Who the hell's this "Professor"?!
Chizuru:Sounds like he thinks he's launching from the Connection...
[Ropet intro]

... COMBINE OK, COMBINE OK!
This here's Ropet, from Choudenji Robo Combattler V.(Super electromagnetic robo Combattler V). Being a robot he talks in all caps as robots are very rude and yell a lot. As far as I'm aware he initiates the "combining" part of combattler that is always done off camera because the five vehicles used to combine together into combattler V are not technically in the game.
Hyoma:All right, here we go! LET'S! COMBINE!
They go through the motions but nothing actually happens on the screen during this, don't worry, you're not missin nothin. And now we pick units to deploy! However our robot amount is still below the required amount for this mission, so we have to deploy them all.

Scramble is "Start fight", "Change units" takes us back to the unit selection screen, and "Change Position" let's us change the starting unit positions.

As such. But wait, there's more! Text.

Hyoma:COMBATTLERRRRRR V!
Gai:Oh my God, you guys are so damn awesome! I'm gonna go for it, too! Let's Gekiga IN! SPACE! GANGERRRRRR!
Uribatake: I already told you! It's not "Space Ganger", it's "Aestivalis"!
Noal: Aki, leave close-range combat to me. You concentrate on support.
Aki: Roger!
Gai: Listen up, Evil Jupiter Empire! I'll show you how a True Hero fights!
Koji:*groan* "True Hero"? Whatever.
Hyoma:We're not gonna let him leave us behind! Let's go!
Ruri:What is the "Evil Jupiter Empire," anyway?

TURN ONE!
I was originally gonna keep overviews and maps of each turn but due to stupid on my part, this would be inconsistant for this update. I'll start it on the next update.

More observant viewers may have noticed Uribitake mentioned a "gravity wave beam", and that it matches up pretty well that the "G. Wave Antenna" ability the aestivalis during the intermission update. This is it. As long as an aesti is in the yellow squares, it, in effect, has infinite energy. If it's out of the squares, it loses energy normally. An Aesti has less and uses more EN then your average real robot, so it's a good idea to keep them in the yellow squares. Annnnyway.

I move everyone as far up as they'll go, and Mazinger is the only one that can actually manage to attack.

This is your average early game super robot battle screen. 100% on both sides. Mazinger Z is a medium sized robot, and batta(Martian Successor Nadesico) is small, so on top of super robots being terrible dodgers, they're usually gonna be hit with a size penalty to dodging/hitting too Mazinger Z is actually one of the smaller super robots, but even so. Anyway, rocket punch!

Didn't quite one shot it like I'd hoped, but whatcha gonna do. Mazinger took 700 or so damage in that scuffle, so we're gonna move blue earth(Tekkaman Blade) up to heal him. And we do.

One of the enemy's battleships, a Katonbo (Martian successor nadesico) attacks. Enemy battleships tend to be similar to our warships, but less good. Of course this means they get more, so it kind've evens out. They tend to even have a chance to miss on super robots. This is largely because of the size penalty, as it's an XL to Mazingers M, and as such is taking a pretty hefty accuracy penalty. An equal real robot would probably be down to about 40%, if not lower.

A batta rushes up to attack mazinger. He defends, because I kind've get the idea he's gonna get pounded this turn, what with being out in the front of the rest of the guys and all.

Breast fire eh? Well... just this once.

[I didn't manage to get a screenie on the second runthrough. I'll get a set on another stage. The video below is a much better version of it anyway. Take a look!]
Have a video of it from Z2, as it is a very pretty game, even as super robot wars games go.

Breast fire is mazinger's best attack, and being a super robot, with already heavy attacks, it's very nasty indeed, as you can see. BUT it uses 30 energy, and this early in the game mazinger Z doesn't have the EN to do it a ton, Maybe 3 times, on top of litterally every one of his weapons using said EN pool, so we're gonna hold back for now.

More enemies bounce ineffectively off of Mazinger Z. If Combattler is the glass cannon of the super robots, Mazinger Z is the tank.

A batta tries takes a shot at combattler V, and gets one shotted by big blast in return, as if to prove my point.

And finally, the only batta in range of the battleship beelines for it, landing between Mazinger Z, and combattler. Enemies will suicidally charge battleships, for good reason, because if they die, we lose. It doesn't have much luck.

TURN TWO!

I have Gai cast "wall" (reduces the next attack to ten damage) because gai is a super robot pilot in a real robot, and as such he doesn't really dodge very well. Luckily he has "Guts" which refills a unit's health to max, to make up for it. He's usable, but kinda quirky. If only I could put him in a super robot, but alas, martian successor nadesico has none. A pity, because he's really made for one. He takes hits GREAT despite being in a real robot.

Gai dodges to prove me wrong, and I couldn't be happier. Noal and Sayaka in the Aphrodite A, heal Mazinger (Aphrodite A and Mazinger both in Mazinger), and he attacks a batta with iron cutter. Iron cutter is basically a shorter range rocket punch with more attack power and more EN consumption. Only 20 to rocket punch's 15 though, so it's not too bad. The animation is the same as rocket punch, except it has knives on the sides of the fist. It one shots the batta. The Nadesico attacks a batta, with a 90% chance to hit! This is pretty nuts given that the Nadesico is an XL and the Batta is a Small, and gravity blast doesn't have a ton of + hit to it. It one shots it.

The Combattler one shots a batta with twin lancer too. The first few missions are like this, you just one shot every little thing. It will stop soon, don't you worry. Then my commentary will get a bit more interesting. Enemy phase. The aphrodite is attacked! It dodges about as well as mazinger, only it has less armor and HP. The Aphrodite A is similar to the blue earth in that it is really not meant for combat. I have her attack anyway because she has the health to take it, and it'll expedite things.

Boob missles.

Yep.

A Katonbo attacks the Nadesico, and gets a chunk taken out of it by the gravity blast for it's trouble. Something of note is that the Katonbo's have a distortion field too, which is supposedly very rare tech on earth. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Curious.

I missed this, but Mazinger's passive ability, MAZINPOWER activated because Koji hit 120 will. This ability increases his damage.

Ruri: Unknown heat signature approaching.
Reinforcements, as per usual.
Yurika:Huh? Just more Jovian Lizards, right?
Ruri:No. There it is.
Humm...

(All three of em are originals. You know what that meaaaannnsss.)

Katia:At this rate they're just going to shoot us down... Up for a gamble? Sure, it's lucky that we ran into them, but if they're the UEFA, we're probably only going to get arrested...
Festenia:Aw, geez! That sucks, Katia! Still... not like we've got any other options.
Katia:Right, so... let's go.
It takes one step forward. It doesn't appear to be moving very well.

Ruri:Emergency call from the unknown unit.
Yurika:Oh?
Megumi:They're requesting permission to land. What should we do, Captain?
Yurika:I'm not sure! They're in the way, though, so... we might as well let them in. Calvina, please take a look at the landing deck. Report back on the situation, but be sure to restrain the pilots if need be.
Calvina:Roger.
It lands.
Ruri:Landing complete... More unknown units approaching.
Yurika:Wha...? More?

A strange group of units appears.
(More originals)

Squire (top):The unmanned weapons and that new warship... They appear to be fighting.
Squire (bottom): What should we do, milord?
Ja-Mu:Dammit. The weapons don't really matter, but that warship is an... unknown factor. We can't use -it- on them now, which puts us in a questionable situation. Let's pull back. After all, that good-for-nothing unit is a failed experiement... Nothing more.
Squire (bottom):But... the Knight Lord said to destroy it if we were unable to capture-
Ja-Mu:I didn't receive permission to engage OTHER forces while I was at it. It's my fault they made it this far without being shot down, so... it'll be fine.
Squire (bottom):But milord-
Ja-Mu:Seal your lips! I already admitted my transgression. I didn't think he'd be late, but that traitorous "war hero" is the same Knight that used to be his master, after all. Plus, both units are originals. Even if Al-Van prevails, we'll be in serious trouble if he loses his machine. My own unit is a prototype, and ensuring its safety is far more important then going after those girls... All the more reason to just leave, honestly. Let's go!

They vanish.

Ruri:The unknown units have dissappeared.
Minato: What in the world?!
Yurika:So, uh... What now?
Festenia: They ran away... I wonder why?
]Melua:They're going back to that spooky place... I wonder why he helped us?
Katia:We weren't able to do anything, in the end...
Uribatake:Ooh, who's this bad boy?! Just lookit that design! The finishing touches are a touch on the boring side, sure, but that's one mean lookin' unit!
Calvina:I've never seen a machine like this before. Pilot, can you hear me? Shut down the machine and open the hatch!
KatiaThanks for letting us land. Now, then...
The robot briefly calculates something, and a flash of light occurs[/b]
Calvina:Keep your hands where I can see 'em... You three were piloting this thing?
Festenia:A-Are you guys from the Federation?
Calvina:No.
Melua:Thank goodness...
Katia: We're not out of the woods yet, Melua.
Calvina: You seem to be around the same age as those Combattler kids... ...Maybe a little older. Doesn't sound like you're federation, either. Who the hell are you?

The battle continues!

TURN THREE

The nadesico gravity blasts the battleship,and it's finished off with a SUPER EM SPIN! Combattler V's best attack, with a whopping 4300 damage rating, compared to the 3200 Breast burn had. Let's take a look!

Have another video.

Overkill. We get a servo motor for our troubles. More on that later! We move Gai out of the gravity wave beam range, and smash up the last batta with a gekigan flare, leaving a single Katanbo battleship. Enemy phase. The lone katanbo attacks Combattler V for 809 while it was defending. Yeesh.

TURN FOUR!

Long story short, dogpile on the katanbo. It still doesn't die, because hey, battleship.

Enemy phase. It attacks the Nadesico.

TURN FIVE!

We finish it. No map required, I think. Gai finishes it, and gets a booster. Hoho.

Ruri: No enemies detected. While we were engaging enemy units, however, another fleet caught up. It's not the 4th Federation Fleet.
Fukube: What is it, then?
Ruri:Confirmed. The approaching force is comprised of Federation mobile weapons. Incoming.
Fukube:I suppose it was foolish to think they would let us leave without a fight.
Prospector: And they never gave us a legitimate reason for their demands, either. Thet's just the way they run things...

The federation arrives at the other side of the map. Sigh.

Hyoma: What? Geez, those UEFA guys are really itching for a fight!
Gai:Let them come... We itch for JUSTICE!
Megumi:Incoming transmission!
Colbert:Nadesico, please reply. This is Gen. Colbert. The UEFA had every intention of peacable settling this matter. That has since proven impossible, as our demands to your vessel were refused by Nergal. The offensive awaits my command. This is your last warning... Stop the ship and surrender!
Yurika:But we're going to save the people on Mars! Oh, I would ever so happy if you'd just let us go on with the mission!
Colbert:Mars?! Stop joking around! I'll never permit that!
Yurika:In that case, there's no need for further discussion!
Colbert:Blast! That brings everything out into the open. The Nadesico is our enemy! All units, commence attack! Destroy the ship if you have to... Just make sure you stop their advance!
Megumi:What a violent man!
Yurika:Then there's no holding back on you, either! Take 'em down, guys!
Akito:All we want to do is help the people of Mars! Why are you getting in our way?!
Uribatake:What the heck're you doing, kid?!
Calvina: Tenkawa? Didn't you hear me when I said you weren't ready for space combat?
Uribatake:All crew members, evacuate the flight deck! We've got a moron with a deathwish!
Akito:Huh? Whoooooooaaa?!

Akito leaves the flight deck and flies forward straight towards the enemy forces, leaving him way ahead of everyone else. Bad news for him.

Calvina: Well, that was a poor showing... Hm, I can't exactly leave him to die out there.
Uribatake:But there's no unit available for you to bail his ass out with, either!
Festenia:(... You thinkin' what I'm thinkin' Katia?)
Katia:(Fine by me. This way we can confirm it.)
Festenia:Are you a pilot? Use this robot. It's called Bellzelute. We wanna help him out, too!

As most of you probably guessed, the original unit has arrived! Original units tend to be amazingly strong compared to other units, and are a fine choice for anyone.

Calvina:Me? Piloting THAT? You must be joking! Sorry to tell you this, but I already quit the piloting business. I'm just into sightseeing now. If you really want to help him, then go by yourselves. We'll let you stay on the ship if you do.
Katia: We can barely move it on our own, so fighting is out of the question.
Festenia: But if you're with us, we should be able to control it. Couldja give it a shot and hop inside? Pleeeeeeeeease?
Calvina:What do you mean? Why would I be able to-
Festenia:Hurry! That guy's gonna get himself killed at this rate!
Calvina Well, if you insist... But if we all die, I'm not accepting any complaints. The name's Calvina. Calvina Coulange. You?
Festenia:Festenia. The name's Festenia Muse, Calvina!
Calvina It's a two-seater, huh... (This cockpit... It's the same as the project's... How can this be? Will I actually be able to control this thing?)

It would appear she has encountered at the very least a similar unit to the bellzelute.

Festenia: (With normal people, the Cytron Control Linkage rate will always be low. ...But as I expected, Calvina is different!) Let's go!

It enters the field

Ruri:The unknown unit has taken off. It appears ms. Coulange is piloting it.
Minato:Huh? I could've sworn she was still in rehab...
Prospector:She's acting recklessly, then.
Yurika: What? You're going to save my dear Akito, Ms. Coulange?! D-Don't tell me she has a thing for him too...?!
Jun:I don't think you're quite on the mark about that...
Ruri:What an idiot...
Calvina:The foundations are the same... We can do this! And our first order of business is to have a nice little chat with our pursuers...
Festenia:Aw, this soon?! ...Well, as long as it's a real short chat, I guess.
Calvina:There's a good chance of missing the target altogether though, and during a battle a miss, more often than not, is fatal. Please prepare yourself because I'm... I'm...!

She's developed a phobia of combat. Understandably, given her past experiences. This would also explain her insistance to avoid piloting anything back in the hospital.

Festenia:I get it... You were hurt, huh Calvina? It's all right. Follow my lead, and Bellzelute will move just the way you want!
Calvina:If we can't do this, then we're going to die. Akito Tenkawa, stop your reckless behavior and get yourself as far away from the enemy as you can! We're going to cover you!
Akito: R-Roger!
Calvina: So... Shall we give this a shot?
Yurika:Listen up, everyone! That wierd-looking robot that just launched has Ms. Coulange inside! It was no ID code, so be careful. Don't attack it by accident!
Ruri: Friendly units' signals confirmed. They appear to be from nergal. There are three in total.
Prospector: Looks like they made it in time.

We came to help!

Koji: What the heck?
Kyosuke: Those are Aestivalis. They're our allies for sure!

You may call us... The Reinforcemints. Heheheheh... Hahahaha!

Izumi makes a lot of bizzare jokes. Also all three of these folks are from Martian Successor Nadesico.

Yurika:Um... Seriously?
Hyoma:What's with them?
Ryoko: Hey, Izumi! Lay off the wierdness!
Hikaru: Shucks, we didn't even agree on the name! You gotta consult us next time!
Ryoko: What? Well, anything goes, I guess. Let's do this!

In fact Ryoko is probably the only sane one. All three of them have very high evade, so they're excellent Aesti pilots.

Ruri:...Another bunch of idiots?

And we're back in combat! Now, I was GONNA let people hang back at the far end of the map, and get everyone repaired as much as possible, as combattler and mazinger got pretty banged up, and the Nadesico isn't doing much better; but the bellzelute went up to akito so we've gotta rush up to them it looks like. Now, let's get a look at the bellzelute.

Note we're attacking from outside the moebius's(Gundam SEED) attack range, and as such there is no counterattack! Nice. I left the animations off on accident. Attack screenshots next time! At any rate, it one shots the moebius. A real robot doing that, even to another real robot is semi-rare.

Calvina:The movements are so light... It truly does move as I want it to. With this, I can finally...!
Festenia:See, Didn't I tell ya it would be all right? Just sit back and follow my lead!
Calvina:This is different from Image Feedback... What the hell IS this unit?
Gai:Professor! We'll use the Ganger-Cross Operation! Send out the Space-Ganger Heavy Weapons Type!
Ruri: I think Mr. Yamada is trying to tell you something.
Uribatake: Yeah, whatever. Leave him be.

Akito focuses and attacks a moebius with rapid rifle. Only a 28% chance to be hit, even with focus... I'm not very happy with this, and we don't have any convinient terrain bonuses to take advantage of either. Not even any asteroids nearby. This could get dicey, but we'll probably be fine. The moebius misses, thankfully, but we've got another two turns to hold out. I'll definatly be sending Ryoko and the gang down to help them out.

Enemy phase. The Delphinium (Martian Successor Nadesico, I think, new unit. Haven't seen any yet.) stay put, and the moebiuses close in on Akito. With evade defense, only 11% to hit. Yeah, we'll be fine. When the mobiuses stop using their missles and start using their unique attack, I'll actually take some pictures. Akito counterattacks the moebius he attacked last turn, and finishes the job. One rushes up point blank to the bellzelute, which is actually a pretty solid idea, and uses linear gun.

We get hit, and only take about 1500 damage. Not bad for a real robot, but another couple of hits like that, and we'll be down. Another moebius follows suit. We evade because I don't trust a 50% chance to get hit.

Damnit, we got hit again. Things are suddenly back to being dicey. Luckily the right side delphinuses stay put too, so we're safe.

TURN SIX!

Our main force is still back up at the top. They're on the way, but it'll take some time. Until then, we're FOCUSING CALVINA JEEZ. Luckily Festenia has Guts, it restores all HP. Only enough SP to use it once though. Luckily we shouldn't need it again, with enough units to form a decent wall nearby now. Let's ACTUALLY get a look at O rifle N now, howzabout.

Yowza. That's a big gun. Incidentally I've only used Granteed, and Coustwell, so this is gonna be as much a surprise for you as it is for me. Akito pulls a moebius off the Bellzelute with immeduate knife, and the Aesti trio pulls in and starts hammering on the left side of the enemy formation. Both Sayaka and Noal/Aki get a level from repairing. Izumi attacks the only moebius left on the left side, and countercut's it's counterattack. Incidentally I'm pretty sure Izumi has a TON of ability because she procs reaction abilities like crazy.

Enemy phase. The delphinium pull up to the left of the Aesti trio, no attacks. They must lack post movement attacks. If I recall, they're basically a light battleship, so that'd line up pretty well. Ryoko takes a hit, and only takes 700 damage because distortion field is fabulous. A moebius attacks Bellzelute, and we have enough will to use O Rifle B now, so.

Shoot many guns. Another oneshot. It really bugs me how it seems like every grunt unit has a missle attack, because they seem to spam it to spite you. Use something cool, come on. Delphinium on the left pull up, no attack again.

TURN SEVEN!

We might finish the reinforcements before the main force gets here. Huh. Anyway, Bellzelute also attacks a Delphinium from outside it's range. You now see the strength of artillery robots. Not in dodging or armor, rather in attacking from a position that allows you to avoid all of that junk. Doesn't quite finish it, but Akito is happy to oblige, gaining a level and Alert in the process. Alert is a 100% chance to dodge one attack. The Aesti trio kills a mobius and Delphinium. Four Delphinium's left. The main force arrives, and will get to act next turn. Hurrah! It's in the bag.

Enemy phase. Two delphiniums attack Ryoko and get hits in, as with akito. Back to being slightly nervous.

TURN EIGHT!

I moved gai down before taking these, my bad. We're starting this off with Bellzelute's best attack, O rifle A. I'm hoping for a one hit kill on a delphinus with it. Llllllet's FIND OUT!

... Almost. Still very nice. Nice animation too! Mazinger hauls in and attacks a Delphinium with Iron cutter. He's almost out of energy though. The aestis help him out resulting in finishing off the entire left wing. Akito finishes the delphinum calvina weakened. One more left!

Enemy Phase. The lone delphinum misses.

TURN EIGHT!

One more delphinum. Gai flies in near akito, and weakens it with rapid rifle. We're gonna finish this with a bit of... flare.  8)

DOUBLE GEKIGAN FLAAAAAAARE!

YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH That was a team attack, double gekigan flare, and they are rad as hell. They tend to do absurd amounts of damage, and use a ton of energy, even on units that have no use for energy. This is also why we like Gai.

Ruri:The Federation forces show no intention of coninuing the pursuit. No Jovian Lizard forces in sight, either. The battle is over.
Yeah, after that I don't blame them. :D
Yurika:Round everyone up. After we're finished, set course for Mars! We're leaving the Earth Sphere!
Prospector: Time to refocus on our original goal...

With that, it ends. Tomorrow, more plot, and more decisions for you people.

Sorry for the screenshot mishaps! Won't happen again.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:39:44 pm by Seriyu »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2012, 10:29:11 pm »

On one hand, whee! Things begin to die in more proper numbers!

On the other hand, tomorrow. I used to do that relatively often, too, so it really bugs me nowadays :P

Looking forward to a properly screenshotted update, yeah. Should be even better, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2012, 10:38:38 pm »

Yeah, sorry about that. Luckily I managed to get all of the screenshots fairly similar to where they were before, and we really didn't lose any important plot/attack animations in the transition, barring breast fire. And fixed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20