Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Paramatter's modding projects  (Read 7013 times)

Paramatter

• Bay Watcher
  • [POSITION:HERMIT]
    • View Profile
Re: Paramatter's modding projects
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 06:40:22 pm »

Yeah, glaistig would have been more appropriate for what I was going for, but I had no idea how to properly pluralize that...  I figured it was still about as far removed from the folklore as hobgolins or kobolds tend to be, though.  I also may have been influenced by the green skinned portrayal of rusalki in the Shin Megami Tensei video games in deciding to stick the name on a type of goblin-thing...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 06:59:10 pm »

To help you to make up your mind.

This is rusalka:

This is not:
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/scotland/folklore/the-glaistig.html

Rusalki always have a fish tail, they may also appear on branches of enchanted trees. Glaistig is like a maid of the lake, they may have legs and walk the land.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Paramatter

• Bay Watcher
  • [POSITION:HERMIT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 12:46:52 am »

To help you to make up your mind.

This is rusalka:

This is not:
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/scotland/folklore/the-glaistig.html

Rusalki always have a fish tail, they may also appear on branches of enchanted trees. Glaistig is like a maid of the lake, they may have legs and walk the land.
Well, they aren't really intended to literally be either of those...  The idea behind them is that they're actually somehow much closer to DF's trolls than other goblins (Also part of the reason why I made them all have aqua blood, since I didn't feel like mucking with the castes further to specify that all but one of the castes would have the same blood color and I figured it would make more sense for only one blood color anyhow.).

What sort of workarounds are there for stack issues with shells?  Can I make a creature with a stone or other material shell that will drop on butchery?  Or load it up with renamed but otherwise identical materials/tissues so that it will drop multiple stacks when butchered?  Also is it currently just bone, horn and shell that suffer from stack issues or are there more materials that I should keep in mind to avoid for reactions?
Just tried the idea of calling for duplicate materials on extraneous shell body parts, still only produces one type of shell stack so the tissues are clearly what determines the butchering products.  On the bright side I do now have a type of giant snail that produces four stacks if you send it plummeting down a few z-levels.  They also are very good at surviving falls, possibly owning to the lack of bones to jam through their brains.  A shame that you can't have a creature regenerate lost body parts over time.  Unless I can find a way to make redundant duplicates of SHELL_TEMPLATE and its [TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SHELL] it looks like I'm going to have to go with quick-breeding and small snails as a source of shell instead of snails the size of cows.

It's Kobold Camp, how will I know if they're overpowered or it's just as impossibly hard FUN as normal?
Also, sorry for not responding to this earlier.  The main thing to watch out for is if a single gnome somehow manages to kill everyone in the camp all by his or herself, which is not exactly what I had in mind.

dimo_stoianov

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 06:33:05 pm »

According to my not so good memory

Rusalki are a undead woman corpses possessed by vengeful ghosts of young women who were killed (by drowning or commited suicide (again by drowning) because they have been jilted by their lovers. If killed not by fire/holy water/silver they can switch bodies with the nearest not properly buried woman corpse.
According to legends the only way to put a Rusalka to rest is killing (preferrably by drowning) all persons responsible for her death and all their descendants. Rusalka does not have fish tail, but  in the dark her eyes shine like green fire.

In terms of DF it's a zombie necromancer ghost carp in humanoid body.
I'm a shady balkan character. I can count up to ten and sometimes I can think.
Pages: 1 [2]