Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retake the hill, dorfs!  (Read 1914 times)

Nsidious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Retake the hill, dorfs!
« on: July 02, 2012, 08:57:26 am »

I had an idea (hopefully original) about making forts SPECIFICALLY for returning in adventure mode, as in, less about maximum efficiency and more about corners and rooms that would make make reclaiming the fort very fun for you and your band of fellow adventurers. Was wondering if anything had a fort they thought would be good for this? Even funny/scary stories of you trying to clear out your fort as a legendary adventurer :D Post some screens of the fort if you have some! or even the map! I'll see if I can't whip something fun up in my own game ^.^

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Re: Retake the hill, dorfs!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 11:11:03 am »

There was a thread around here a month or so ago about a community fort specifically designed to be an Adventurer's Playground.  I forget the name of the thread, and I can't even think of who it might have been who started it.  Sooooo... not much help there.  But it has been thought of.  It may still be ongoing if you can find it though, with room for more players.

Edit:  Well that was easier than I expected...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98593
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:12:53 am by ledgekindred »
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 11:14:23 am »

My previous attempts at exploring fallen forts as an adventurer usually involved being instantly killed on arrival by a ghost. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 11:43:54 am »

I don't usually make forts for the sole purpose of adventuring. But the prospect of adamantine goodies often gravitates them towards old forts anyways.

I find it's much more entertaining walking around your fort, looking at the defenses as a goblin would - and suddenly feeling very, very sorry for them.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 11:57:05 am »

I don't usually make forts for the sole purpose of adventuring. But the prospect of adamantine goodies often gravitates them towards old forts anyways.

I find it's much more entertaining walking around your fort, looking at the defenses as a goblin would - and suddenly feeling very, very sorry for them.

Hang on a second. That second sentence is supposed to start "But when I do...".

Something like:
I don't always make forts for the sole purpose of adventuring. But when I do, they make me feel sorry for the goblins.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Nsidious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 12:06:23 pm »

I don't always make forts for the sole purpose of adventuring. But when I do, they make me feel sorry for the goblins.

Hahaha, I should sig that. I really should. And thanks for the link! I'm currently making a fort in a sinister zone, bleh I hate bitter mucus, does that stuff show up in AM too? This fort is a freakin strong box, plus any sieging army gets a taste of MUCUS, while I stay nice and cozy in my fort. xD haha

EDIT: Oh, and I'm sittin' on a nice HUGE pile of gold! :D So I guess I'm going pure economy and screw the military, there's no need to go outside anyhows. xD
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:08:08 pm by Nsidious »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:19:10 pm »

You may not need to get outside, but if you want to trade that gold, the traders will need to get inside, and then back outside.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Nsidious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 12:23:12 pm »

Yeah, gold nuggets are HEAVY, do they get lighter as bars??
And I already got it, first caravan is already here, and trading. :D