Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Little help please?  (Read 1615 times)

Durthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Little help please?
« on: February 06, 2013, 04:36:34 am »

I've been trying to change magma crabs to be buyable from caravans. Not that they would be that useful in practice, but a couple pillboxes to greet the kea swarms in your first year would be satisfying I think lol.

So far I've managed to make em pop up everywhere, including on top of me at embark. (I'll never think ill of badger swarms again, not compared to that crossfire) I've also managed to get the dwarves to out elf the elves, selling everything from gremlins to giant pandas!

So long story short, I'm stumped. Is there any way to get a civ to pick up magma crabs? Or should I just move to somthing else? (Steel chickens that shoot slade eggs with maxed marksmanship would be fun...)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Little help please?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 04:44:54 am »

Saying what you did and didn't actually do would be helpful :)

You changed magma crabs biomes, but to what?  did you change UNDERGROUND_DEPTH?
You probably gave Dwarves [USE_ANY_PET_RACE].  Did you give the crabs [PET] ?

... edit,

probably the easiest would be giving the crabs COMMON_DOMESTIC and PET, in which case I think you wouldn't have had to do anything to the dwarves, and maybe wouldn't have had to do anything to their biomes.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:56:44 am by smakemupagus »

Durthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 04:57:31 am »

Heres the current file, I've tried different biomes, different depths, added a child tag. I can't find whats keeping the dwarves from picking them up. =(
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for your time =)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 05:21:36 am »

Well, sorry, I am stumped too :D

If it was me I would remove all biome and enviornment tags that don't appear on, say, a horse.  Like

[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_LAVA]
   [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]
   [BONECARN]
   [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:0:2]

and verify that they show up then; then add that stuff back in one at a time and see what breaks it.  But maybe someone else can give you more targeted advice.

Durthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 05:40:32 am »

Your my new best friend! Taking away the [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_LAVA] tag worked. So Civs won't pick up magma creatures regardless of what other biomes they appear in. Can't believe I never thought to change that, just added more assuming the dwarves weren't finding them. Lesson learned, now on to poultry artillery!

Thanks for the help =)

Paramatter

• Bay Watcher
  • [POSITION:HERMIT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 06:43:14 am »

Well, sorry, I am stumped too :D

If it was me I would remove all biome and enviornment tags that don't appear on, say, a horse.  Like

[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_LAVA]
   [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]
   [BONECARN]
   [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:0:2]

and verify that they show up then; then add that stuff back in one at a time and see what breaks it.  But maybe someone else can give you more targeted advice.

Er...  [BONECARN] isn't a biome or environment token.  It makes a creature a carnivore that also eats bones.  Not at all sure why you have it with the others, dogs have it and it's no trouble getting those as pets.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 06:45:36 am by Paramatter »

Durthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 01:46:01 pm »

Just another attempt at getting the dwarves to raise em, I was assuming there was somthing about the magma crabs bioligy that kept the dwarves from raising them. Thus I gave em a child tag and a diet to make em more like other domestics. Should have been looking for restrictions more, rather that trying to figure out how dwarves think lol

Durthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 07:04:44 pm »

Fun fact, Magma crabs body temp is high enough to boil booze... Time for a new embark