Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3832224 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Mission 8: Worst bombsquad in the galaxy
« Reply #11760 on: January 29, 2013, 11:30:37 am »

"Hey, you think the morgue might have a nuke in it? That would be quite the amazing happenstance."

((If the bomb is in the morgue, freezing the place would probably either A) disable the bomb or B) dampen or entirely neutralize the heat flash while the room would probably do a lot to dampen the blast.))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11761 on: January 29, 2013, 11:34:39 am »

"Hey, you think the morgue might have a nuke in it? That would be quite the amazing happenstance."

((If the bomb is in the morgue, freezing the place would probably either A) disable the bomb or B) dampen or entirely neutralize the heat flash while the room would probably do a lot to dampen the blast.))
((Uh... It's a nuke. I think it would still go straight through the walls.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11762 on: January 29, 2013, 11:45:06 am »

((Uh... It's a nuke. I think it would still go straight through the walls.))

((It probably would go through the walls, but I'm not sure the blast would necessarily be all that powerful beyond the room. Especially when you consider that the room might get a bit close to 0 K in a few moments. And that the room is very well-secured.))
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:50:30 am by Harry Baldman »

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11763 on: January 29, 2013, 12:12:31 pm »

Team D - Lukas

Lukas starts to slowly back away from the man.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #11764 on: January 29, 2013, 12:13:53 pm »

((It probably would go through the walls, but I'm not sure the blast would necessarily be all that powerful beyond the room. Especially when you consider that the room might get a bit close to 0 K in a few moments. And that the room is very well-secured.))
((If you freeze the bomb you will disable it. However freezing the room wouldn't do much because:
Energy in a kiloton: 4.184*1012 Joules (hey, using superscript for what it was intended!)
Energy required to raise the temperature of a kilogram of water by 1oC: 4.186*103 Joules
Energy required to raise the temperature of a kilogram of water from 0oK to 373oK (boiling point): 1.561*106 Joules
Assuming that the gasses that condense after freezing the room behave like a ton of water and are capable of absorbing every Joule of energy possible until they boil that still leaves you with (4.184*1012)/8-1.561*106*103=5.214*1011 Joules of energy, equivalent to 124.6 tons of TNT. And an eighth of a kiloton is 125 tons of TNT.
And that is without taking into account the radiation and the shrapnel (but maybe it's not a nuke but some kind of high tech explosive so those things may not concern us).
So in short, if you don't freeze the bomb, this happens.))

((EDIT:Fixed a small math error.
And for comparison: The bomb in the Oklahoma bombing was equivalent to just 2 tons of TNT.
This cold war weapon could obliterate bridges and power plants with the equivalent about 10-20 tons of TNT.
And explosions are magnified in enclosed spaces.
So if my character had any knowledge of physics, he would be shouting for everyone disable that detonator whatever it takes or start running, because if it is indeed a 1/8 kiloton charge they would only be safe near the elevator or maybe not even there.))
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:25:00 pm by Parisbre56 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11765 on: January 29, 2013, 12:21:53 pm »

((If you freeze the bomb you will disable it. However freezing the room wouldn't do much because:
Energy in a kiloton: 4,184*1012 Joules (hey, using superscript for what it was intended!)
Energy required to raise the temperature of a kilogram of water by 1oC: 4,186*103 Joules
Energy required to raise the temperature of a kilogram of water from 0oK to 373oK (boiling point):1,561*106
Assuming that the gasses that condense after freezing the room behave like a ton of water and are capable of absorbing every Joule of energy possible until they boil that still leaves you with (4,184*1012)/8-1,561*106*103=5.214*1011 Joules of energy, equivalent to 521,4 tons of TNT.
And that is without taking into account the radiation and the shrapnel (but maybe it's not a nuke but some kind of high tech explosive so those things may not concern us).
So in short, if you don't freeze the bomb, this happens.))
((Still, even at that power there still are a whole lot of obstacles to absorb the energy of the blast on the way. The shape of the building, if I'm getting explosions right, would probably direct the blast as well. And it's apparently 1/8th of a kiloton of TNT, so at the end that comes out to much less energy, though it is still considerable and probably enough to kill us all.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11766 on: January 29, 2013, 01:06:17 pm »

((I was going to do the math myself, but you beat me to it. You... Mathblocked me?

Anyway, disabling it would require a roll. Wich means a little bad luck would instakill anyone who tried it. So you're probably not going to find many volunteers, I suspect...))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11767 on: January 29, 2013, 01:23:21 pm »

((I was going to do the math myself, but you beat me to it. You... Mathblocked me?

Anyway, disabling it would require a roll. Wich means a little bad luck would instakill anyone who tried it. So you're probably not going to find many volunteers, I suspect...))

((Correction: would instakill anyone who tried it and perhaps a bit more than half the remaining team. Hopefully freezing works.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11768 on: January 29, 2013, 01:26:01 pm »

((Correction: would instakill anyone who tried it and perhaps a bit more than half the remaining team. Hopefully freezing works.))

((Or we just leave it be and deal with it when we go back up. Maybe he'll have bled to death by then. Or maybe intense pain for a few hours will make him reconsider his position.))

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11769 on: January 29, 2013, 01:30:38 pm »

(That's pretty much my position on it, which is why I went as far away as possible to wait. :P)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #11770 on: January 29, 2013, 01:35:42 pm »

((Dead man's switch usually means a button that has to remain pressed so that the bomb won't explode in low tech situations or a bomb that will detonate if it stops receiving a signal from a heart rate monitor in high tech situations. So unless he's bluffing, him dieing would surely be bad news for everyone in the hospital, probably everyone on the entire floor and even the floors above and below if the explosion causes a cave in. And that's not counting the radiation if the thing is nuclear. BUT, you CAN always convince him to not detonate the thing. Or at least keep him occupied until we leave the level or find the bomb.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11771 on: January 29, 2013, 01:38:22 pm »

((Or we just leave it be and deal with it when we go back up. Maybe he'll have bled to death by then. Or maybe intense pain for a few hours will make him reconsider his position.))

((The bomb might damage the elevator if it went off (as it would if the possibly fatally-wounded fellow were to bleed to death and release the switch). Or at least lethally irradiate it. Both cases would leave us with exactly zero relatively safe elevator shafts to reach the top.))
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:41:23 pm by Harry Baldman »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11772 on: January 29, 2013, 02:14:37 pm »

((The bomb might damage the elevator if it went off (as it would if the possibly fatally-wounded fellow were to bleed to death and release the switch). Or at least lethally irradiate it. Both cases would leave us with exactly zero relatively safe elevator shafts to reach the top.))

Nuclear bombs don't give off that much radiation, most energy is used for the blast after all. And in case of a broken elevator, we have enough people to fly you guys up. It's not that what you guys are saying is untrue, but still, say that, if we do find this bomb, who is going to defuse it?

... Waaaait a minute. What if we find the damn thing, throw it down the elevator shaft and annoy that guy into detonating it anyway? Two levels cleared for the price of one! ))

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11773 on: January 29, 2013, 02:16:48 pm »

(What if we took the bomb, put it on the elevator, fixed the elevator, sent it up to Command, then annoyed the guy into detonating it? NO OVERSIGHT! WE'RE FREE TO DO WHAT WE WANT! :D)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11774 on: January 29, 2013, 02:20:23 pm »

(What if we took the bomb, put it on the elevator, fixed the elevator, sent it up to Command, then annoyed the guy into detonating it? NO OVERSIGHT! WE'RE FREE TO DO WHAT WE WANT! :D)

((But there are almost no civilians left to toy with/torture/'save'! We would get bored out of our minds.))

Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 1256