Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3832288 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Mission 8: Worst bombsquad in the galaxy
« Reply #12075 on: February 13, 2013, 09:06:58 am »

(The flaw in your argument is that they did not try to cool the mist itself, and the mist was being contained in the morgue which is generally a cold area. I'm looking for really solid reasoning on why this would be a bad idea rather than a theory, since - as I just noted - heating the mist to destroy it is going to result in TPK. And it's not as if I'm freezing the mist, either - at least, not on purpose, but overshoots are overshoots and there's little I can currently do about them aside from my somewhat-reliable decompensator - but merely lowering back down to normal temperatures.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12076 on: February 13, 2013, 09:09:30 am »

"This whole ordeal has officially gone FUBAR. Crap.
Hey Lucas, I reaaaally hope you're going to wait for us."

Grab anyone who can't move on their own and fly them to the elevator.
((Ivan has lost it and is now acting like some sort of gigantic cicada. Does anyone him to be neutralized non-lethally?))

((Just wait and observe. If he attacks though, just try to kill him without destroying the brain.
Or, as a last resort, go stand behind a door somewhere, preferably a wooden one. You'll be perfectly safe!))

((Huh? aren't you in the elevator already?))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((Just trying to make sure all the people who got sharked by the mist are rounded up. And it would suck if the elevator left while some are still getting to it.))

(I'm basing this idea on the fact that heating the mist seems to have just about killed everyone, so hopefully cooling it off will give us time to GTFO. If anyone scientifically inclined like Pyro or Radio can tell me why this is a bad idea, I won't do it.)

((Cael is right, cooling the mist seems to speed up the mist's expansion. However, maybe cooling it enough will indeed slow it down. Hmm. You could try to create a thin 'wall of heat' to act as a barrier between us and the mist.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12077 on: February 13, 2013, 09:28:24 am »

((I'm struggling against the urge to give advice here, because it'd be out-of-character advice, and even then highly theoretical. But if I were to boil it down to one word, "RUN" would be pretty much correct. If there is/was a way to beat this encounter, it likely involves a few things you don't readily have on hand. And if there was a "right" way to solve the mission, it's far too late for that.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12078 on: February 13, 2013, 09:33:54 am »

((The temperature the door was cooled to wasn't specified, but I'm guessing it was well below 0, since he was trying to freeze the door to one Kelvin and rolled a four.  Room temperature is almost certainly safe.  If I had to guess, something in the ~120F range would neutralize it the most without enraging it like the 600-1000F here did.

I'm curious what nuclear weapon level heat would do to it, but given no one brought a nuke it's probably a bad idea to try it with an amp.

In general, I think we're done here.  Tell them to send the biggest nuke they can fit in the elevator down to that level and be done with it.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12079 on: February 13, 2013, 09:52:26 am »

((By the way, someone really needs to close that door, because once I open the iris all the air from above will rush in and if the door is still open the escaping air may be strong enough to take someone with it.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12080 on: February 13, 2013, 10:01:51 am »

((By now, truth be told, I am not sure of anything. Cooling it to 70º F could help or the mist could take that as another sign of hostility since we don't know how cold the mines are so Jim could actually be heating them in comparison to room temperature. By now, even alcohol itself is an option.

@Paris: Yeah, I wanted to try that but getting closer to the tunnel is most likely certain death. We'd probably need Jim's matter amp.

Oh, and relevant to the thread. Mood music for our situation.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12081 on: February 13, 2013, 10:07:51 am »

((Hm, who do we know that says they have a nuke? I wonder.

EDIT: Also, somebody should make Nuke Eyes - Scout Eyes with 1/8th kiloton bombs in them. It would be capable of solving so many problems in so little time... until someone detonates it by accident/in an act of revenge/out of sheer bloody-minded idiocy.))
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:11:05 am by Harry Baldman »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12082 on: February 13, 2013, 10:10:23 am »

((The suicidal doctor a floor up. Also, "purge it with fire" is not the same as just heating it up.

And Nuke Eyes would be a marvellous idea until the first failed or overshot Aux check. Plus I don't think a Scout Eye has enough lift to carry an eighth Kt charge.))
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:19:51 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #12083 on: February 13, 2013, 11:42:01 am »

((Better mood music.))

Amid a rather large burst of static:

Close the maledicti door!

Keep trying to focus.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12084 on: February 13, 2013, 11:46:07 am »

((1/8 Kt charges are also the size of a football. So you might as well strap engines to it.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12085 on: February 13, 2013, 12:41:20 pm »

((Personally, I still think heat is what kills/slows the sharkmist. I fear we simply didn't heat it up enough to kill it, but that it was enough to make the mist recognize us as a threat, and thus it retaliated.))

((Hm, who do we know that says they have a nuke? I wonder.

EDIT: Also, somebody should make Nuke Eyes - Scout Eyes with 1/8th kiloton bombs in them. It would be capable of solving so many problems in so little time... until someone detonates it by accident/in an act of revenge/out of sheer bloody-minded idiocy.))

((We don't know for sure they have, but the Sword is still pretty close to us, and that ship has more nukes than you can shake a stick at. And it has enough firepower to level the colony and everything inside it in a fiery blaze of kinetic glory, so this mission could lead to some nice fireworks either way. Let's just make sure we're not around when that happens.

And yeah, I do feel we haven't gotten the most out of this mission. But since sending people into that maze made them go cr-AAY-zee, we didn't have that much options left anyway.))
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:54:22 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12086 on: February 13, 2013, 01:45:08 pm »

((Lars went in, got a piece, and came out unaffected.  Perhaps it only affects robots and the diseased?  Was Bishop exposed?  I can't remember.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12087 on: February 13, 2013, 02:01:42 pm »

((Lars went in, got a piece, and came out unaffected.  Perhaps it only affects robots and the diseased?  Was Bishop exposed?  I can't remember.))
((The way I understand it is that the diseased cannot hurt the mist (as seen with Faith) and are drawn to it to become its protectors (as seen with Milno and the miners). Normal people get "attacked" by anti-organic vibrations and hallucinations that get stronger the further they go in the grayshark tunnels. And finally when you piss it off the vibrations escalate, causing hallucinations and severe damage to organic tissue.
Maybe someone should try heating it further? Maybe this is this section's dying screams. Plus, if this thing keeps vibrating it will only get worse when we get atmosphere back here.

EDIT:Maybe some way to insulate ourselves from sound would work as a shield from the vibrations. However insulation wouldn't do much about mindfuckery so we would still have to melt the tunnels to continue.))
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:10:35 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12088 on: February 13, 2013, 02:14:16 pm »

((The vacuum is an interesting point.  Send Jim and Stacy here alone- Jim hovers Stacy and Stacy applies extreme heat.  Stacy, being suspended in vacuum, doesn't get vibrated.))

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12089 on: February 13, 2013, 02:24:20 pm »

(@Cael: Considering the mist just got superheated, I'm pretty sure 70F is going to be cooling it. :P But fine, I'll just close the door instead.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 1256