Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 840 841 [842] 843 844 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3829836 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #12615 on: March 08, 2013, 12:38:56 pm »

"Fine by me then. Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the support, Chernozohov."

((Except that your action says to activate it. Just saying.))
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:40:30 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12616 on: March 08, 2013, 12:44:25 pm »

((Miyamoto and Michael seem to disagree with that plan. And neither R_C or Corsair are online to edit their actions.

Also, @Parisbre56: I don't have Aux bonuses, I have a Handiwork bonus.
Speaking of, does vehicle and robot repair use Aux or Handi rolls?))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #12617 on: March 08, 2013, 12:50:45 pm »

((Edited. And I think repairs are Handi, using is AUX.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12618 on: March 08, 2013, 01:04:05 pm »

((Don't quote me on this, but IIRC aux is repairing something if you have proper tools and parts.  Handiwork is trying to rig something up in an original way.

Check from here to the end of the Mission 8 finale for some examples.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12619 on: March 08, 2013, 02:19:03 pm »

((Yeah, Handiwork is pretty useless most of the time, hence why I've been pumping points into Aux so I'm actually useful at times. Next is either Con or something useful, or maybe just pump more into Handi so I can be more useless but very useful when making things. Personally, I think that repairing machinery, robot bits or computers would be Handiwork over Aux, but w/e.))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12620 on: March 08, 2013, 02:29:46 pm »

((I think it could be that it's situational. Depending on what bit is broken, it could use a different roll.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12621 on: March 08, 2013, 02:30:15 pm »

"Hmm, while I personally think a rogue AI of sorts would be unlikely, if you guys think so strongly about it you might be right. I'll just take stock of the control room then."

ACTION EDITED.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12622 on: March 08, 2013, 02:58:50 pm »

back over the radio -"I don't know that an AI would be corrupted also I can just turn it to molten slag if it feels like being a dick. Do you still want me to discontinue this course because I am happy to wait"

(EDITED ACTION)
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #12623 on: March 08, 2013, 03:26:42 pm »

((Also, here are my notes on the mission, if anybody finds them interesting and/or worth copying. Also, point out any mistakes I have please.))

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)

((wow, that is very useful. Thanks for sharing!))
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12624 on: March 08, 2013, 03:42:22 pm »

"Nobody's seriously expecting the AI to be corrupted. It's just prudent to know what we're dealing it before we activate it. That's all."

((Agree with Prosperus. Very useful.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12625 on: March 08, 2013, 03:59:33 pm »

((Dayum that's useful.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12626 on: March 08, 2013, 04:27:49 pm »

Umm... lets see now...

wake up and cry due to nyars batraping my shins, head for the control room and wait for the AI to come online, try to find the controls for external sensor array and main view-screen then try to access the central server and read any status logs left by the previous expedition.

((if we temp die the "congratulations you're a moron, have a shiny new artificial organ" machine can give us complete robot bodies right?))
(The parts are there, but you need a qualified medical professional to handle the implantation. Unfortunately you have Mesk. Good luck with that.)
You head to the control room. The lights don't appear to be working in the base so you navigate your way through with your head lamps, wandering quietly through the eerily clean and abandoned passages. The control room itself is filled with monitors and communications equipment, but it's all dead and inoperable. There is a hatch on the floor of the room with the stenciled words "AI CORE AND LIFE SUPPORT" sprayed on it.

((Well then))

I guess time to see what is available. Michael goes to the armory and notates the contents along with the vehicles in the garage then goes and boots up the AI.
You walk into the garage and look around. Looks like we've got:
3: 4  man mini shuttes
4: Rocket bikes
1: Manual power 4 wheeler
2: Large fuel tanks for shuttles and rocket bikes.
1: Large fuel tank for Battle suit and MK III's
1: Electrical generator
Box of automapping drones
Misc tools for repairing ships and suits.
Supplies for repairing things

All arrayed around the garage on nice little hooks and in neatly organized. Seemingly completely unused.

((Alright then, here we go.))

"AP 1774... looks like even more of a barren dump than I thought it'd be. Well, nothing to it, I guess. Step one, take stock of the situation."

Perform cursory check of the outpost, noting anything unusual. Pay special attention to the contents of the armory, the garage, the lab, the medbay, and the kitchen, taking stock of all exhaustible materials. Make an ordered list of available things, with quantities, using the datapad.

If impossible to do in one turn, just keep at it, going through rooms in sequence. There's no "too thoroughly" or "too redundant" when checking survival supplies.

((On a different topic - PW, can you please check if my charsheet is correct?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Specifically the stats on the Red Hand and maybe some clarification to exactly what I plundered off those VR machines.))

(looks right to me. As per the electronic parts, they're kinda undefined because they'll just work as spare/usable parts in most electronics. Basically they're like the med kits, but for technology.)

Well most of those places are being checked already, so: The kitchen is your standard kitchen; stove, microwave, oven, cutting boards, knives, sink, plates, cups, etc. Attached to it is a rather massive freezer completely stuffed with food and drink. Looks like enough to last the year, although it's clearly limited. The food looks good still, despite it's long space hiatus.

The lab is much more of a "Sample labeling" room then anything else. It's little more then a massive storeroom of sample containers, along with a label maker, a few instruments to do cursory examinations with and a giant vault to contain the gathered samples. The Labels and sample containers seem practically endless in quantity.

"Ok guys, we're here and we'll be staying for quite a while, so best start getting used to it.

Bishop, I'd like you to go over our vehicles, check how many we have, whether they're operational etc.
Mesk, you go check the infirmary, see what we have on hand.
Simus, could you go see the labs and note what we have?

And the rest of you, go and get acquainted with the rest of the base, let me know if we're missing anything. We need to make an inventory first, you can fight about who gets top bunk later.

Oh, and nobody take anything from the armory, mkay?"

Go to central control room and check what we have there, also do this for the planning room. And stop anyone who tries to activate the AI.
You leave your battle suit in the garage and wander over to the planning room since someone is already hanging around in the control room.

The planning room looks like a conference room of sorts, a large table with a holoprojector, not unlike the briefing room of the Sword.

"Got it, boss.  No going back now..."
Head to the medbay and see what's up.
The medbay is a pretty big place. It's got a operating theater with operating table, anesthetic machine,multipurpose life sign monitoring machines, surgical tools and stores of artificial limbs, organs and other bits. There's a recovery room with beds and a pharmacy worth of drugs, an isolation room behind an airlock and even a morgue. Why do you get the feeling it might get a lot of use.

((I disagree about bicycles, but fine. To point in pursuing the idea when I'm not on the ship anyway.

And I've got everything I got before and now in my inventory spoiler. No need to search back for anything.))
Vichislav's inventory of crap:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Go to the barracks and offload my inventory except for weapons, tablet, and anything digital. I will post what I am taking with me when we head out. After that, check out the Kitchen, Barracks, and the Lab. Does the building have atmosphere inside? Is anything locked or inacessible?

Vich smiled as he settled in. The things could not be better. A death row convicts who were completely autonomous?  Investigating the world's mysteries? And even the brutaly of the HMRC and it's death rate were probably exaggerated. Nobody tried to attack him yet or inlist him in some gang. That was not completely surprising, but it raised his spirits nevertheless. New life, isn't it? Greetings.
You dump off your junk in the barracks and start looking around in the only place not taken yet: the barracks.

It looks like it's a fairly similar set up to the one on the sword: A room full of beds built onto the walls; although this one has a tv in the corner that someone has drug a series of boxes over next to to from an adhoc bench. There's also a connected room marked as the "Team  leader's quarters".

As per atmosphere, looks like the base is pressurized; but not oxygenated or heated.

Lukas simulates taking a deep breath of air. "Aaah, it's just like holidays. I'll go check out the barracks"

Go check out barracks. Claim locker if there is a free one and put in massive weaponry.
There aren't any lockers around in the barracks so you just lean your guns against the wall. Not like anyone besides Miyamoto could use them anyways.

"Alright, I'm on it. I have a feeling that I'm going to be quite familiar with the garage in the near future... I'll check on the AI core and the life support when I'm done, so nobody break anything in the meantime, ok?"

Head into the garage and check over everything. Take note of all the vehicles, machinery and how much fuel we have as well as what spare parts we got on hand. Then head to the AI core to see that it's working properly, and then to the life support room to have a look at the machinery.
A casual inspection of the vehicles on hand brings no problems to light; hell they look like they've never been used. As per whats in here, it looks like someone is already doing that inventory, so you head to the CCR and open the hatch down to the AI core. You slide a good half mile down the ladder until you come to the AI core door way at the bottom. You use the manual override crank to get the door open and walk inside.

The room inside is fairly small, banks of what look like independent power generators and nutrient tanks line the walls and there is a computer controlled laser turret hanging from every corner of the ceiling.

"Tight security, all things considered..." You mutter to yourself, walking over to the large, semicircular, white mainframe crouched in the center of the room. You tap the control pad on it's surface, just trying to get a look at if it's fuctioning or not, and emergency lights in the room flick off in favor of normal ones.

MAINFRAME 01 "ALVIN" BOOTING UP.
Drones a very synthetic voice.
ACTIVATING LIFE SUPPORT
ACTIVATING POWER SYSTEMS
ACTIVATING ALL CONTROL SYSTEMS
ACTIVATING ALL SUBSYSTEMS
ACTIVATION COMPLETE.

The base hums as power, oxygen and heat return to it.

Can do, Miyamoto. Something tells me I'll be in there most of the time, much like Bishop and the garage. I'll head over to the AI core and life support when I'm done in there to give you a hand, if you want, Bishop.

Go to the lab and make a note of all of the equipment and supplies therein, then head to the AI Core and check it over with Bishop.
You check out the Life support systems while Bishop works with the AI. It looks like the systems here are all functional; no anomalies in the water or air filtration and renewal systems; no problems with the generators. Everything is running just as you would expect it to; relentlessly recycling every resource.

Name: Flint Westwood / Competent Miner - Garage

Start exploring the base for anything dangerous or anything left over by its previous occupants. If I can't do the entire base in one turn, start with rooms that don't have any people in them. If all rooms have people in them, start with the nearest rooms that have not been thoroughly explored.

"You heard the boss, start looking around. We need to do some housecleaning before we settle in our new home." Alone, with limited supplies, exploring a hostile and alien world. Just like the great explorers of the past...

((EDIT: Also, here's some "exploring an abandoned futuristic/alien military base" music. At least that's what I see in my head whenever I hear it. Also, bonus for HAL9000's voice test while it's being reactivated in the music. What with all the rogue AI talk going on.))
You walk to the barracks and look around. There are definitely leftovers from the previous occupants here, but nothing substantial. Just clothing for the most part, a data pad here or there with nothing much on it. Chances are they took most everything with them out on their doomed expedition.

Assist Anton with checking inventory of the outpost
I think thats pretty much been handled. So you're good.

Lars prostrated himself.  "Praise you, Steve, for allowing us to undertake this mission for you!  May we be in Pathmas's favor in whatever we do!"

With that, he stood up and headed for the garage.  If these vehicles were the tools to complete this exercise, then here was the greatest need for divine assistance.

Head to the garage.  Place the White Circle of Algis on the hood/front-facing equivalent on each vehicle.  Place the Hexagon of Cog-azaon on the control panel of each.  Place the Gear of Fal on the controls.

"O Algis, may you watch over these vehicles as we seek to carry out the Will of Steve.  O Cog-azaon, may you grant the drivers of each understanding and knowledge of their controls.  Praise Fal for granting us skill."
You doodle up your various holy marks all over everything in arms reach.

Go to Garage and get in a jet bike after asking miyamoto permission to use it for exploration.
Go to CCR instead.

To miyamoto over radio:"This is Hansan, asking permission to use a jet bike to explore surroundi-never mind.."

You go to the CCR and hang around.

"Ahh. Reminds me of home. Time to mark stuff."

Dig up some small rocks, and use them to mark the gravity wells. Detect the gravity wells by tossing rocks around, and looking for them to fall differently.

((Awww yeh. Been playing STALKER to prepare for this. Please no lab levels.))
You grab a handful of stones and start hucking them around in the direct vicinity of the base. Everything looks good, save for the massive crater the base is built near. Indeed rocks thrown into this crater hit the ground a ballistic speeds only a hundred feet down the side of the crater. And further down you can still see the crushed bodies of the last crew that was here. So yeah. Crater bad.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12627 on: March 08, 2013, 04:37:04 pm »

((Automated turrets in the AI room.  There's no problem with this at all.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12628 on: March 08, 2013, 04:39:05 pm »

"Howdy there Alvin. Name's Flint, Flint Westwood. We're the HMRC team they sent to explore this place. How're you doing? Everything OK here? How have the last years been treating you?"

Assuming I heard the message, greet the AI and chat with the it. Wonder how high my exosuit can jump with those jump rockets in the planetoid's gravity, if there is a way to change the jump height and if they can be refueled with fuel from those fuel tanks. Plug my laser's battery in a wall socket or something appropriate to recharge, leave my exosuit in the garage and go to the CCR.

((Also, thanks for the thanks for the notes. I'll try to keep 'em up to date.
Edit: Updated my notes with the equipment/POIs of the base. Check it out here.))
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:16:53 am by Parisbre56 »

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12629 on: March 08, 2013, 04:42:55 pm »

Jack crosses his arms over his chest then talks to Miyamoto"So what should we do as the base seems to back online."

Try to turn on as many of the computers as possible including the holoprojector if no suggested action is given if one is given follow it.
Pages: 1 ... 840 841 [842] 843 844 ... 1256