Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3832612 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #13230 on: March 30, 2013, 09:50:00 am »

"I'd agree, XO, but I prefer anything that's only safe to approach while wearing a half-ton of articulated armor and a spacesuit, rather further away than "right under our noses". While we are on the topic, I am proposing the establishment of an off-site vault for potentially dangerous items like these. I'm sure we have enough equipment to blast a small cave under all this rock."
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13231 on: March 30, 2013, 10:02:06 am »

"Well, you ARE in a mining exosuit. Thing's made to dig near danger."
((EDIT:And Simus has enough aster-ex to blow up the base if I remember correctly. Good thing the electrical charge from the anomaly didn't trigger it, or else those of us that were still alive would be hunting magma beetles and making camp in the shuttle right now.))
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:15:34 am by Parisbre56 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13232 on: March 30, 2013, 10:18:35 am »

"Precisely my point, Flint. And you are quite aware that it is not even mine. If I am to spend any amount of time in this base, I would like to make sure that it remains as safe to stay in as possible.

Oh. You meant the blasting a cave thing, didn't you. Ha. True.
"
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:22:30 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13233 on: March 30, 2013, 02:12:17 pm »

((EDIT:And Simus has enough aster-ex to blow up the base if I remember correctly. Good thing the electrical charge from the anomaly didn't trigger it, or else those of us that were still alive would be hunting magma beetles and making camp in the shuttle right now.))

((Nah, she's only got a kilo of it, which wouldn't be enugh to blast even half the base, I think. And I don't keep the detonators in, so the charged anomaly wouldn't do jack to it. My explosives aren't THAT sensitive.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13234 on: March 30, 2013, 02:56:47 pm »

Miyamoto joins the growing crowd of people near the base.

"You know guys, I might be able to whip up a program to remote control that mining exo-suit, so that no-one actually needs to go near that thing."

Using a computer from the CCR, or a wristpad of those won't work for this, try to write a program to remotely control the mining exoskeleton. If needed, go check out the skeleton itself first to better learn how I could do this.

((@Radio Controlled: By the way, is Gilgamesh a he, a she or an it? Nothing important, just asking about how I should refer to him/her/it in my notes.))

((Hmm, never really thought about it. I'd say a he, seeing how he's inspired on the figure from classical mythology.))
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:00:11 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13235 on: March 30, 2013, 03:06:59 pm »

"You have the best armor amongst us. Why don't you go boss?"

((Yeah, I called him a him too.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13236 on: March 30, 2013, 03:31:39 pm »

Team Green

"Lets not get near those."

Follow lars.
"Holy shit. We found life? Or something aproximating it."

Scan the the lice. Prevent anyone from getting closer, or attempting to interact with the lice.
what do you think these creatures eat? I havent seen anything resembling plantlife yet...

record as much footage of the magmalouse as possible, attempt to devise a way to capture one at a later date.

"The gods bring life where they see fit.  Leave them be- do not approach them.  We'll go the long way around.  Morul, please inspect these things and we'll be on our way."

After they get scanned, go the long way around to avoid them while still headed toward the center.

Green team gathers around the nearest creature and get video of it from every possible angle. Or at least every possible angle that doesn't involve touching it.

"You think we could capture one?"

"Assuming it doesn't spray acid or molten iron at us or something I don't see why not."

"It probably won't survive being carried back by hand though."

"Not without a special environmental case at least."

"But I suppose we couldn't keep it alive anyways."

While the team idly discusses abducting one of the strange creatures, Lars surveys the terrain. He wants to avoid these creatures while continuing toward the center of the anomaly, or at least near it. However, from what he can see, these creatures and pools of iron along with other strange formations and terrain cover the entirety of the deeper parts of the zone.

Team Blue

"Great, just great. Well, if we can't store the damn thing, we can always just chuck it in the gravity seep and keep the fragments. I'll fix the hole when you're done."

Keep a good healthy distance while the radioactive chunk is still lying around and when it's gone, fix the hole and check it for leaks. While waiting, contemplate the design for a simple handheld grabber/claw on a stick that we can use to move stuff like this later.

Hmmm. A grabber would be fairly simple really, just a hollow tube with some metal cables inside it to pull a claw shut. You could probably throw one together out of stuff in the garage. Although you question how much safety a couple feet of distance will give you from radiation. Oh well, it will no doubt be useful in other places, if not here.

You rock back and forth on your toes, waiting for things to be cleared so you can do the repairs. How strange that you're on one of the danger teams but you're doing the base repairs while the Base team does the dangerous artifact removal stuff.

Flint Westwood - Blue Squad - In base

Plug the MPV in the generator if it isn't already charged. Check how many people can be on the MPV at the same time. Check if I can pedal with my exosuit. Check if I could use the spare parts in the garage (wheels, bars, sheets of metal, etc) to make a flatbed for the MPV large enough to carry three people and a few days of supplies. See if I can use more metal sheets and some kind of foam or glue to make an airtight trailer where we could sleep. Send the following message to ALVIN:

Quote from: Flint Westwood to ALVIN
Hey there ALVIN! Everything OK? Are you functioning normally? Not bored or anything? Anyway, can you please estimate whether or not the vault can contain the radiation produced by the object in the infirmary corridor?
((It's probably better to just bury it somewhere outside and pick it up while leaving, but I'm just curious.))

((@Radio Controlled: By the way, is Gilgamesh a he, a she or an it? Nothing important, just asking about how I should refer to him/her/it in my notes.))
The vault can contain the radiation.

The MPV can carry two people. It is already charged. Yes, you could pedal it using your Exosuit. Carrying a flatbed behind it is possible, as is building a small one from stuff laying around the garage. Probably wouldn't be large enough to carry 3 people and supplies though; the MPV probably couldn't handle the weight. And as per a airtight habitation chamber...well that would be exceedingly more difficult and require many more supplies; including air filtration systems or at least heat exchanges and air canisters.

Team Red

"Interesting... well not really wonder what happens if I...."
Use a nearby non fragile non essential tool to mash the blue ball things
"OK, ok I won't smash them... I don't see anything wrong with smashing them....I am going to go and map that area I found at the beginning of the mission with a drone."
Go and get a drone and get Alvin to pilot it to the area I visited first with the large amount of radiation but only skirt it. If it crashes go out and pickup the pieces.

>NEGATIVE. THIS AREA HAS ALREADY BEEN MAPPED.

Miyamoto joins the growing crowd of people near the base.

"You know guys, I might be able to whip up a program to remote control that mining exo-suit, so that no-one actually needs to go near that thing."

Using a computer from the CCR, or a wristpad of those won't work for this, try to write a program to remotely control the mining exoskeleton. If needed, go check out the skeleton itself first to better learn how I could do this.

((Hmm, never really thought about it. I'd say a he, seeing how he's inspired on the figure from classical mythology.))

You don't think the exosuit could be controlled remotely, at least not in a useful way. The problem comes from the fact that the suit isn't built with a balancing system; it relies on the human controller in it to keep it balanced and moving. Without the constant feedback of the controller the suit would simply topple over. Not to mention controlling it remotely would be extremely complex since it doesn't have any preloaded actions, such as "Walk".

Team Unionized repair services.

"Listen to Brother Lars, leave any life you find well alone and hope it does the same.  You... uh, [Corsair's character]!  Stop right there.  I've already warned you to stop doing stupid shit, and smashing an unknown substance falls under that category."
Check radiation levels around the glowing blue thing.

You stick the Geiger counter into the hole. It screeches at you.

"I think it's fairly safe to say that there is, scientifically speaking, an assload of radiation in there."

"Well, fantastic. Just our luck." Anton looks the wall over. "If I try to break a hole large enough to grab the stone with the suit's arms, it'll take more than a few metal plates to repair. So the only choice is to work from within after all." He turns around and walks back into the base, opening a channel to Simus and Miyamoto as he approaches the entrance to the damaged umbilical. "Team leader, XO, I'm going to need some cooperation from ALVIN, since it can operate this place easier than I can. If either of you can spare a moment to give it some orders, it'll greatly help speed up the repair of the damaged corridor and restore our access to the infirmary. I need the bulkheads or airtight doors nearest to the infirmary corridor entrance temporarily shut, and all atmosphere within pumped out into the base's stores. There's a large chunk of radioactive anomaly sitting in the infirmary corridor, and the least painful way to get rid of it is just stuffing it out through the hole it broke in, and I don't want to lose any more air than we absolutely have to. Once I'm done doing that and have carried the thing off, everyone else can start patching the place up."

Communicate with team leaders. If they don't respond or don't take action, attempt to give the same command to ALVIN myself. If the corridor is safely depressurized, open the door to the corridor and push the radioactive chunk back out through the hole, warning teammates outside as necessary, then get outside, stuff the chunk into a container and carry it away so that others can work.
You head to the infirmary door on the inside of the base and wait while Simus sets everything up. Here's hoping there isn't horrifically deadly or mutating radiation in there!

Sure, although if it can be safely contained in the lab's vault in such a way that it doesn't irradiate anything else we stick in there, that might be a better place.

Quote from: Text to: ALVIN
Can you cycle the air out of the corridor leading to the umbilical that leads to the infirmary, so one of us waiting there can retrieve or dispose of the object that broke into there?

>THIS WOULD REQUIRE CLOSING ONE OF THE EMERGENCY SHUTTERS. ALL REPAIR PERSONNEL SHOULD ASSEMBLE OUTSIDE THE INFIRMARY DOOR BEFORE THIS AND ALL NON-SUITED INDIVIDUALS SHOULD BE EVACUATED FROM THE AREA.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13237 on: March 30, 2013, 03:56:31 pm »

"You have the best armor amongst us. Why don't you go boss?"

((Yeah, I called him a him too.))

"Sure, but I still want to try programming it first. And to be honest, I don't think my suit is that much better protected against radiation. Remember back in the start of the second mission? When we opened up Sterilization, my suit gave of a radiation warning just like you guys. So while I'm surely better of than you guys, I'm not exactly invincible or anything."

((Damn you updating-a-second-before-posting-Piecewise! Damn you and your descendants until the fifth generation!))

Check which of the available people/suits would handle radiation the best. If it turns out to be Gilgamesh, try to deduce if the radiation I would suffer would be lethal or otherwise dangerous.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:42:44 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13238 on: March 30, 2013, 04:11:33 pm »

((Wow, fifth? Even YHWH only goes to the third and fourth...))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13239 on: March 30, 2013, 04:16:19 pm »

Take something that looks insulating (both in terms of electricity and heat) that can be wrapped around an exosuit's arms like crude gloves (or maybe a sample container if we have one that is large enough) and place it near the infirmary corridor entrance, just in case that thing is also electrically charged or incredibly hot. ((I know that if it was charged or hot it would have probably discharged or melted the ground when it hit the ground but you can never be to safe with alien artifacts.))

If Miyamoto disposes of the anomaly and my exosuit is no longer needed back at base take it, then start moving towards the normal speed subhex of sector 3. Else just get a dynamic bonus at constructing a flatbed for two. ((Idea! Automated transports: Program the MPV to move automatically from place to place, acting like a taxi and like a resource hauler. Maybe have the communication wires act like guidelines if lack of GPS is a problem... People are already doing this with regular cars, how hard would it be to do it in the future? Or maybe, since the comm wires can be used like guidelines, maybe ALVIN can control the MPV! So many possibilities and only one MPV... Maybe we can build more?))
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:48:43 am by Parisbre56 »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13240 on: March 30, 2013, 04:41:43 pm »

Scan lice, and the general area with pirate vision. Go through all the layers in the scan, and try and copy the math for the Lice. After that is done, follow lars.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:36:07 pm by kisame12794 »
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13241 on: March 30, 2013, 05:38:32 pm »

i wonder if we could make some sort of collector for all this molten iron, the sheer amount of scrap we could produce could be useful for repairs and maybe some low grade radiation shielding, i mean hey it aint lead... but its a start.

follow lars and keep an eye out for new life forms.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13242 on: March 30, 2013, 06:10:48 pm »

"Really? I though no-one went south-west into the rad-field, Hmm might as well try and go collecting samples of well everything I can get, Alvin have any of the substances of this planet been scanned already and displayed strange behavior and do any require examination or are pending such action?"
If any of the non-scanned material is available near or around the base then collect it otherwise see if the others require help with the giant space rock.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13243 on: March 30, 2013, 08:34:26 pm »

((Corsair, Alvin doesn't know anything about the planet that we don't. You're just wasting your time by asking him. And I suggest you keep close to your team.

And Parisbre, what's up with the Flint's fascination with airtight tents? A pilllow and a blacket (i.e.: a sleeping bag) would suffice for a camp.

Anton, what does "XO" mean?

Also, Hashem's primary attribute is mercy. So when you're saying "Even YHWH ..." you're setting a very high standard. Just saying.))

"Okay, Zephyria, I have no idea what you're doing right now, so get up, we're heading out.

Flint, I get that the Manual Powered Bicycle-Ripoff is begging for adjustments, but let's head out. As much as I want that dust gun, we're not getting it anytime soon. And we can probably do this even without your exosuit. It's not like the "temporal" anomaly cares about your resistance to explosions. Would be different with the volcano thing the green team has. And honestly, if the Base needs it so much, it might be of more use here."

Quote from: Vich to Bishop
Team Leader, I've taken the liberty of heralding everybody out and heading towards the anomaly. Join us when you can.

PS: On the other hand, I would personally prefer to have your handiword see some use here. Better get some easy upgraides and adjustments out of the way first. I'm sure we'll manage.
[/s]((Void, since he joined us.)

Grab pillows and sleeping bags for everyone and distribute them to everyone in my team (unless we already have them). If I find none, take some from the barracks, and if I still find none, don't stand around like an air-deprived fish, continue with my other actions.

Unless they object or cooperate, walk Flint and Zephyria to the exit of the base, and start heading out towards our the unexplored side of our anomaly.

Also, what's the gravity on this planetoid excluding the anomalies?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:38:31 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13244 on: March 30, 2013, 08:39:06 pm »

Lars regarded the area.  "Brothers, I believe it is time to refer this to our superiors, may Fal grant them skill."

Lars then radioed the base.  "Canary Base, this is Brother Lars of Green Team.  The light of Steve has guided us to a very hot area with... what appears to be alien life.  Like giant beetle things that like the heat.  Besides that and the molten iron, we appear to be unable to proceed to the center of the anomaly."

"Shall I deploy a mapping drone?  I have no indication that such would aggravate the life here, and if it was high enough, it should be safe and out of reach anyway.  Orders on how to proceed regarding the life?"

Lars looked at Auron.  "Brother Auron also suggests that if we needed material for fabrication, we could attempt to harvest this molten iron for scrap.  Something to consider.  Brother Lars out."

((XO is Executive Officer, AKA second in command, AKA Simus.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 1256