Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 882 883 [884] 885 886 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3832556 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #13245 on: March 30, 2013, 08:54:03 pm »

"Green Team, You have reported that you have encountered life. Magma things, to be somewhat more specific. Does the anomaly you are in have atmosphere? How about the temperature?

I am thinking more and more that this planetoid is a sustainable ecosystem, with each anomaly performing it's own role in maintaining the balance. The Radiation piece falling into the crated moved me on that path of thought. Here's the thing. If there are volcanic vapors coming up from you anomaly, then they should rise up, and eiter swirl around the planetoid, forming a semblance of atmosphere before cooling down, or they escape into the void. I wonder which one of them is happening. There are a more in-depth theories I have for how it may work, but we know too little at this point.

And if that area does not have an atmosphere, or doesn't have enough, then these beasts have learned to survive in vaccum. The precise way in which they did so may be pretty valuable. At some point, we should at least claim a skin of one, even if we are unable to keep them live.

And regarding the molten iron, we could use it as a forge. Make molds of objects and get new ones. Could deal with the "no-replacements" for any tools problem we have. Or make radiation shields. Several feel of iron of wheels."
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:57:27 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13246 on: March 30, 2013, 09:03:48 pm »

Lars nodded to himself.  "It's quite hot here, even for us in the suits.  There is an atmosphere here, but it looks quite hazardous.  Capturing one is something to try in the future, but now is most likely not the time."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13247 on: March 30, 2013, 09:19:30 pm »

Lars nodded to himself.  "It's quite hot here, even for us in the suits.  There is an atmosphere here, but it looks quite hazardous.  Capturing one is something to try in the future, but now is most likely not the time."
"Pardon, how dispersed IS that atmosphere? It's contents? Is it visible? I suppose that if you can't determine it right now, capturing a sample of it would help to identify it better. And exactly how hot is hot?"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reply to post below, because I cannot frigging stop myself from replying to every post that interests me, or concerning my character, but I can sometimes stop myself from making a new post:

((It would make it more comfortable, because of the increased elevation for the pillows, and softening of the ground for the blankets. And the suits don't seem too bad, at least not too bad compared to the other things we experience on a daily basis in HMRC. I don't know about you, but I don't see myself getting out of my suit in the middle of the anomalous planetoid with unpredictable Zone Storms unless I'm in a battle suit. For all I care, our characters forget about these tubes unless someone mentions them, simply because they're always there. The airtight tents are expensive and unnecessary.

Aw, you my incoming Speech check edit to convince Flint is rendered unnecessary. Well well well.))

"(lighthearted) Thanks for reminding me that I am indebted to you, Flint. If you hadn't come, it would be embarrassing to abandon your investment just like that, and have me vanish without a trace so soon, wouldn't it? I kid. I'm planning on following all the safety regulations we have. As well as the ones we should have.

(somber) But I've heard exactly what you said, I have good hearing. And you can call me "brat" however much you want, but I'd appreciate if you didn't put "UWM" in front of it. And you can lead once we get there, if it matters to you."
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:38:55 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13248 on: March 30, 2013, 09:51:46 pm »

((I don't think those pillows are going to do much. We are in space suits and we have a bunch of tubes going inside private places. I don't think any amount of pillows is going to make sleeping in the suit comfortable. That's one of the reasons I'm looking for an airtight tent.))

"Hey, I like this suit. It saved my life many times, it can carry lots of stuff, it's better than any cane and it is a beautiful dark colour. So unless I'm ordered to leave it here or I see that they really need it, I'm waiting for it." Flint crossed his arms in a definite 'NO' way, howevee the more he thought about it, the more torn he felt. With Bishop occupied, he couldn't leave the team. He'd never forgive himself if something happened to them. But without his exosuit he was mostly useless. What to do... "Damn it, alright, I'm coming with you. But if we die, I'm going to kill you Foureyes."

*grumble* UWM brat *grumble* like he's in charge *grumble* complained Flint to himself as he got his gear ready. I hate his kind. Spies, intelligence officers, politicians, it's all the same. Mindless automatons. And he's proud of what he did. Bastard. If I wasn't against killing, I'd crush his spine right now for what they did to me! Flint took a few seconds to relax and force a smile back on his face. The past doesn't matter now. What matters now is the survival of the team. And I'll do everything I can to make this happen. Ever since he had woken up from stasis, he was feeling more and more... different. Outbursts of rage, feelings for Simus, knowledge he shouldn't have... Flint wondered how long he could keep that thing inside him contained

((This was going to be a small two line post, but unfortunately inspiration striked me in the middle of the night.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13249 on: March 30, 2013, 11:56:54 pm »

((Of course the Base team does the dangerous things. Dangerous things that happen at the Base, are Base team business. And terribly sorry for hogging the exosuit, but we're in dire need of radiation-shielded repairmen right now.))

"Aha. Well, I guess I qualify as "repair personnel". No need to expose any more people than absolutely necessary. Team Leader, XO, slight change of plan. I'm going to take some repair supplies and start patching up the break from the inside as soon as the artifact's gone, so that the area can be repressurized quicker and the rest of the repairman guild can come in. Gilgamesh can handle at least as much radiation as this suit, so the task of carrying it off would fall to you, Miyamoto. I still insist that we should store this one off-base, though you can have a vote if you'd like. We can, after all, bring it in later easier than now with half the base needing to go into lockdown for repairs."

Coordinate the repair methods and materials with Mesk, and acquire the needed supplies. Wait outside the infirmary door, and proceed with the plan of action from earlier as soon as everyone's in position and everything is ready.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13250 on: March 31, 2013, 12:10:59 am »

((It doesn't matter what Alvin doesn't know but allows me to essentially have a checklist of information or stuff she needs.))
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13251 on: March 31, 2013, 12:31:50 am »

((
Spoiler: Map Update (click to show/hide)
Also, Parisbre - if I don't post an updated map, I likely didn't update it. I just save them to Dropbox with the current date, so manually incrementing the numbers won't magically get you an updated map. ;) ))
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 12:33:38 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13252 on: March 31, 2013, 01:24:18 am »

"A sound idea. The less people exposed to that stuff, the better. I've got supplies here, so you can use them. If you are going to seal the whole thing yourself, then I'll be on my way with the rest of the team."

Bishop hands the equipment over.

"There, that should do it. Just make sure to put it back in the garage when you're done with it. I'll be off with the others then, so I'll talk to you lot in person later. Blue team, gear up, we're heading out again to the other side of the distortion we found."

Hand over the tools and supplies to the people fixing the hole, update my copy of the map and then resupply what food and water I have. Once we're all ready, lead the team out to the distortion again and start mapping out the other end the same way we did before. Don't go into the normal looking section though.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13253 on: March 31, 2013, 01:42:25 am »

((I don't think we can "Not go into the normal looking section". Since it's normal, we can't identify it, so we'll never know if we're inside of it or not. To us, it's just the edge of the anomaly.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13254 on: March 31, 2013, 05:46:08 am »

((Also, Parisbre - if I don't post an updated map, I likely didn't update it. I just save them to Dropbox with the current date, so manually incrementing the numbers won't magically get you an updated map. ;) ))
((You mean you're not a computer that automatically generates and uploads the map every day? Fascinating!
Nah, every day you updated the map almost instantaneously, so I thought "Well, I'll just put the date in now instead of waiting for him to update, since he'll have the map up in a while anyway." And that was the only time (so far) you didn't update within the same day.))

Take something that looks insulating (both in terms of electricity and heat) that can be wrapped around an exosuit's arms like crude gloves (or maybe a sample container if we have one that is large enough) and place it near the infirmary corridor entrance, just in case that thing is also electrically charged or incredibly hot. ((I know that if it was charged or hot it would have probably discharged or melted the ground when it hit the ground but you can never be to safe with alien artifacts.))

Get moving with blue leader.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:49:10 am by Parisbre56 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13255 on: March 31, 2013, 05:49:07 am »

((You mean you're not a computer that automatically generates and uploads the map every day? Fascinating!
Nah, every day you updated the map almost instantaneously, so I thought "Well, I'll just put the date in now instead of waiting for him to update, since he'll have the map up in a while anyway." And that was the only time (so far) you didn't update within the same day.))
((Hehe, yeah. Had to do work on a Saturday, so only had enough energy for an action post and just crashed to sleep afterwards. :P))

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13256 on: March 31, 2013, 05:59:13 am »

((Sorry for lack of posts, my comp had a minor breakdown))

"Me? Uhh..I'm not doing anything in particular right now. Oh and it's Zephyris. No A's there."

Refill my supplies as needed. Get ready to leave.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:10:50 am by MutzelRX »
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13257 on: March 31, 2013, 11:33:25 am »

Lars responded.  "It's hot enough that iron is molten.  I'll check the suit for data.  Morul, can you see the atmosphere?"

Check suit for temp/atmosphere readings.  Program a drone to scout the area, staying at least 20 feet off the ground.  Have it land along the north edge, outside the hot zone.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13258 on: March 31, 2013, 02:15:25 pm »

"You know, these goggles are either the worst thing to happen to me, or the best. I can't really tell which."
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13259 on: March 31, 2013, 03:21:04 pm »

Team Blue:

((Sorry for lack of posts, my comp had a minor breakdown))

"Me? Uhh..I'm not doing anything in particular right now. Oh and it's Zephyris. No A's there."

Refill my supplies as needed. Get ready to leave.

You refill any used supplies and make ready to leave with Bishop.

"A sound idea. The less people exposed to that stuff, the better. I've got supplies here, so you can use them. If you are going to seal the whole thing yourself, then I'll be on my way with the rest of the team."

Bishop hands the equipment over.

"There, that should do it. Just make sure to put it back in the garage when you're done with it. I'll be off with the others then, so I'll talk to you lot in person later. Blue team, gear up, we're heading out again to the other side of the distortion we found."

Hand over the tools and supplies to the people fixing the hole, update my copy of the map and then resupply what food and water I have. Once we're all ready, lead the team out to the distortion again and start mapping out the other end the same way we did before. Don't go into the normal looking section though.
You hand over the stuff and relay the message of leaving to everyone on your team.

"Alright people, lets go, move it, move it, move it."

You wait while the rest of the team assembles.

((Also, Parisbre - if I don't post an updated map, I likely didn't update it. I just save them to Dropbox with the current date, so manually incrementing the numbers won't magically get you an updated map. ;) ))

Take something that looks insulating (both in terms of electricity and heat) that can be wrapped around an exosuit's arms like crude gloves (or maybe a sample container if we have one that is large enough) and place it near the infirmary corridor entrance, just in case that thing is also electrically charged or incredibly hot. ((I know that if it was charged or hot it would have probably discharged or melted the ground when it hit the ground but you can never be to safe with alien artifacts.))

Get moving with blue leader.

You can't really find anything sitting around that you can just wrap around the thing's hand to make a big old oven mitt, at least nothing that you can bend by hand. You might be able to make something given time and the right tools  but...you're not really sure how much it would help.

((Corsair, Alvin doesn't know anything about the planet that we don't. You're just wasting your time by asking him. And I suggest you keep close to your team.

And Parisbre, what's up with the Flint's fascination with airtight tents? A pilllow and a blacket (i.e.: a sleeping bag) would suffice for a camp.

Anton, what does "XO" mean?

Also, Hashem's primary attribute is mercy. So when you're saying "Even YHWH ..." you're setting a very high standard. Just saying.))

"Okay, Zephyria, I have no idea what you're doing right now, so get up, we're heading out.

Flint, I get that the Manual Powered Bicycle-Ripoff is begging for adjustments, but let's head out. As much as I want that dust gun, we're not getting it anytime soon. And we can probably do this even without your exosuit. It's not like the "temporal" anomaly cares about your resistance to explosions. Would be different with the volcano thing the green team has. And honestly, if the Base needs it so much, it might be of more use here."

Quote from: Vich to Bishop
Team Leader, I've taken the liberty of heralding everybody out and heading towards the anomaly. Join us when you can.

PS: On the other hand, I would personally prefer to have your handiword see some use here. Better get some easy upgraides and adjustments out of the way first. I'm sure we'll manage.
[/s]((Void, since he joined us.)

Grab pillows and sleeping bags for everyone and distribute them to everyone in my team (unless we already have them). If I find none, take some from the barracks, and if I still find none, don't stand around like an air-deprived fish, continue with my other actions.

Unless they object or cooperate, walk Flint and Zephyria to the exit of the base, and start heading out towards our the unexplored side of our anomaly.

Also, what's the gravity on this planetoid excluding the anomalies?

Well, you gather up some blankets and pillows, despite the fact that you and everyone else will be doing nothing but sleep in their suits and the practicality of pillows when you're wearing a big solid metal helmet is rather limited.

As per the gravity here, you'd say it's slightly lower then normal, something like maybe 4/5ths or 3/4ths normal gravity, at least in the base. So lower but not so much so that it's terribly obvious.

The Blue team heads back out to the distortion area and maps out a few more miles. They find another slow speed zone, as well as a zone that appears to completely halt anything that enters it. The stone that they fire in stops dead and doesn't move, even after a good 30 minutes of watching it.

Team Green:

Scan lice with pirate vision. After that is done, follow lars.
You scan the lice with your patented pirate vision. Well, it weighs a lot. 3 tons or around there. And it's shell is incredibly dense, made mostly of silicon and other inorganic elements. The "living" part of the creature is pretty much just a lump of strangely configured carbon, silicon and ammonia based "organs" hidden deep in the shell.   From what you can tell it doesn't breath or eat; more like it does both at the same time, scrapping off the top layer of the stone it travels over, processing it for nutrients and then excreting the remaining mass.

Your eye starts to bleed and you notice the figures, constructed from the coalescing outlines of the creature's organs, moving toward you.

i wonder if we could make some sort of collector for all this molten iron, the sheer amount of scrap we could produce could be useful for repairs and maybe some low grade radiation shielding, i mean hey it aint lead... but its a start.

follow lars and keep an eye out for new life forms.

Lars responded.  "It's hot enough that iron is molten.  I'll check the suit for data.  Morul, can you see the atmosphere?"

Check suit for temp/atmosphere readings.  Program a drone to scout the area, staying at least 20 feet off the ground.  Have it land along the north edge, outside the hot zone.
The Temperature reading hovers somewhere around 1,600 C and the atmosphere is made up of boiling sulfur, among other things. As per sending that drone out, thats gonna be a problem, considering it and pretty much everything else you were carrying, minus your sample containers, has melted/burnt up long ago.

Team Red:

"You have the best armor amongst us. Why don't you go boss?"

((Yeah, I called him a him too.))

"Sure, but I still want to try programming it first. And to be honest, I don't think my suit is that much better protected against radiation. Remember back in the start of the second mission? When we opened up Sterilization, my suit gave of a radiation warning just like you guys. So while I'm surely better of than you guys, I'm not exactly invincible or anything."

((Damn you updating-a-second-before-posting-Piecewise! Damn you and your descendants until the fifth generation!))

Check which of the available people/suits would handle radiation the best. If it turns out to be Gilgamesh, try to deduce if the radiation I would suffer would be lethal or otherwise dangerous.

The best would actually probably be Lukas, since he's solid robot, save for a bit of brain tissue hiding somewhere inside at least a foot and a half of metal on all sides. He could probably get hold of the thing no problem, although the question becomes:What do you do with it once he has it?

"Really? I though no-one went south-west into the rad-field, Hmm might as well try and go collecting samples of well everything I can get, Alvin have any of the substances of this planet been scanned already and displayed strange behavior and do any require examination or are pending such action?"
If any of the non-scanned material is available near or around the base then collect it otherwise see if the others require help with the giant space rock.

You wander around the base and find a strange "track" melted into the ground, leading from the radiation zone all the way over to the gravity seep. Bits of bluish glass have been left along the very inside of the track and the entire thing is mildly radioactive.

Team Base Jumping:

((Of course the Base team does the dangerous things. Dangerous things that happen at the Base, are Base team business. And terribly sorry for hogging the exosuit, but we're in dire need of radiation-shielded repairmen right now.))

"Aha. Well, I guess I qualify as "repair personnel". No need to expose any more people than absolutely necessary. Team Leader, XO, slight change of plan. I'm going to take some repair supplies and start patching up the break from the inside as soon as the artifact's gone, so that the area can be repressurized quicker and the rest of the repairman guild can come in. Gilgamesh can handle at least as much radiation as this suit, so the task of carrying it off would fall to you, Miyamoto. I still insist that we should store this one off-base, though you can have a vote if you'd like. We can, after all, bring it in later easier than now with half the base needing to go into lockdown for repairs."

Coordinate the repair methods and materials with Mesk, and acquire the needed supplies. Wait outside the infirmary door, and proceed with the plan of action from earlier as soon as everyone's in position and everything is ready.

You wait outside the infirmary door, Bishop's supplies in hand, ready to seal the hole just as soon as someone, ANYONE, reaching their goddamn hand in and gets out that hot potato.
Pages: 1 ... 882 883 [884] 885 886 ... 1256