Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 [885] 886 887 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3809149 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #13260 on: March 31, 2013, 03:31:51 pm »

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 3

((That's why I should have waited for my suit. Now I don't have a laser to fire in the "stop" anomaly. Oh wait, but I do have a drone.))

"Let's see if I can get this damn thing to work." said Flint while shaking the drone and giving it a few light strokes.

See if I can activate the drone while it's in my hands and check the distance its laser rangefinder says while looking inside the zone. If the light is taking too long to return, just leave the drone there propped up in some stones (hopefully the laser pulse will have returned by the time we return to base). Continue mapping.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13261 on: March 31, 2013, 03:36:27 pm »

You wait outside the infirmary door, Bishop's supplies in hand, ready to seal the hole just as soon as someone, ANYONE, reaching their goddamn hand in and gets out that hot potato.
((Um, Anton is supposed to chuck out the hot potato. We're assuming that we'd need a much longer hand than a human's, and any battlesuit/exosuit/large robot arms would aggravate the hole to the point of it being too hard to repair. The plan is for him to open the door when the area depressurizes so as not to lose any atmosphere, chuck the radioactive thing out - through the hole it made breaking in - as quickly as possible, and start patching up the hole.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13262 on: March 31, 2013, 03:39:28 pm »

((A simple flashlight would work as well. Something really pisses me off about using mainly using heavy mining suits as flashlights. So overkill.))

"Remind me again why we're using lasers when we have our suit's lamps to do that?"

Activate suit lamps into the stop anomaly. If the light stops, make a graffiti made out of light on the anomaly "wall". If making a graffiti that way doesn't work, spraypaint it on the anomaly "wall". Then continue exploring.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 03:42:12 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13263 on: March 31, 2013, 03:47:01 pm »

"Remind me again why we're using lasers when we have our suit's lamps to do that?"
"And what if light takes a day to return? Would you be willing to wait here for a day? Wouldn't it be simpler to simply fire a laser or leave a drone and then return to see whether or not the ground boiled or the drone got a reading? That way, we both save time and determine if things stop or just move incredibly slowly, like that guy who couldn't overtake the turtle."

((Also, Sean, no reason to get crispy. Let the giant death robot handle it. We can spare the metal. We cannot spare the men.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13264 on: March 31, 2013, 03:53:14 pm »

((Also, Sean, no reason to get crispy. Let the giant death robot handle it. We can spare the metal. We cannot spare the men.))
((True enough, but doing that is the whole reason Anton's still in Flint's exosuit. Extra radiation shielding, so that it can be disposed of from the inside. If he wanted the thing gone quicker, he could've punched a hole through from the outside and be done with it, but aside from lakes of molten iron we aren't exactly swimming in repair supplies.))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13265 on: March 31, 2013, 08:18:56 pm »

((@Sean: Can you at least please consider just throwing the thing out the hole and then let Lukas bury it somewhere?))

((Hey, look. I made another one of those things. This time we witness Paris' futile attempt to simulate realistic human relations.))

"So, where were we? Ah, yes, I had just finished telling you about how a bunch of lunatics led by a psychopath had made a mini-coup on their planet, stole a few military ships and went off to colonize a worthless arid barren rock."
"That's enough for today I think. Next time I'll tell you the story of what I think was the day that shaped my future and set me on the path that led me to where I am today."

Spoiler: Desert Farms (click to show/hide)

Jeebus killing some sinners and mutants. Recovered from one of the ancient holy RAID harddrives by the University of Truthology of Home of Faith. ((Incidentally, also the way I imagine experienced amp users like Jim fight.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13266 on: March 31, 2013, 08:22:34 pm »

stick close to lars, pray no-one gets hurt now that my primitive medkit is nothing more than ash.

((Are sample containers radiation proof?))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13267 on: March 31, 2013, 11:30:45 pm »

((@Sean: Can you at least please consider just throwing the thing out the hole and then let Lukas bury it somewhere?))
((Uh, well -
((Um, Anton is supposed to chuck out the hot potato. We're assuming that we'd need a much longer hand than a human's, and any battlesuit/exosuit/large robot arms would aggravate the hole to the point of it being too hard to repair. The plan is for him to open the door when the area depressurizes so as not to lose any atmosphere, chuck the radioactive thing out - through the hole it made breaking in - as quickly as possible, and start patching up the hole.))
- sure?))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13268 on: March 31, 2013, 11:47:17 pm »

"Well, that doesn't look healthy to go in. Let's keep moving, there's a lot more planet to map out yet."

Keep mapping this rock out, and keep updating my map with new information and sending it back to base every now and then.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13269 on: April 01, 2013, 10:06:26 am »

"Well, the lice weigh around three tons, are made mostly of silicon and carbon, and they eat rock. Now, I need to go. Don't follow me."

Hand Lars my gun, and run away from the group. When I can no longer see the group, look for the figures again.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13270 on: April 01, 2013, 10:08:24 am »

Lars blinked.  "Wait, what?  Where are you... going?"  He sighed.  "May Pathmas be in his favor..."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13271 on: April 01, 2013, 12:56:17 pm »

((Just in case it's not obvious, Anton is still poised to do what was planned.))

Proceed with the plan, for fury's sake. Make sure there's nobody in the corridor, make sure the repair equipment and supplies are ready, and order ALVIN to open the shutter. Shout a warning to the people outside to get clear. Approach the radioactive thingy, as long as the overpenetrating radiation doesn't reach instantly deadly levels, and jam it out through the hole in the wall, followed by all the lesser fragments that are inside. Begin the repairs as soon as the radioactive rock is out.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13272 on: April 01, 2013, 02:01:27 pm »

Help Anton out with getting that thing out of our base. Using Gilgamesh of course.

((I'm afraid prosperus won't be here to help us in time. so I'll just try to lend a hand.))

"Once we get this out of here, We're going to keep it away from the base from the time being. Once it's gone, we'll be on our way again while base team does repairs. Then they can try to find a better storage place for it."
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:13:39 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Misson 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13273 on: April 01, 2013, 04:19:09 pm »

Happy One year Anniversary everybody! One full year of...whatever it is we do here.

Team Blue:

"Well, that doesn't look healthy to go in. Let's keep moving, there's a lot more planet to map out yet."

Keep mapping this rock out, and keep updating my map with new information and sending it back to base every now and then.
You map out a few more miles but find that the effects of this zone form a sort of wall across it. Well, at least they seem to; that normal speed zone may be the hole in the wall you need.

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 3

((That's why I should have waited for my suit. Now I don't have a laser to fire in the "stop" anomaly. Oh wait, but I do have a drone.))

"Let's see if I can get this damn thing to work." said Flint while shaking the drone and giving it a few light strokes.

See if I can activate the drone while it's in my hands and check the distance its laser rangefinder says while looking inside the zone. If the light is taking too long to return, just leave the drone there propped up in some stones (hopefully the laser pulse will have returned by the time we return to base). Continue mapping.
You think that Vich and his spraypaint have this handled. You help Bishop in his mapping.
((A simple flashlight would work as well. Something really pisses me off about using mainly using heavy mining suits as flashlights. So overkill.))

Activate suit lamps into the stop anomaly. If the light stops, make a graffiti made out of light on the anomaly "wall". If making a graffiti that way doesn't work, spraypaint it on the anomaly "wall". Then continue exploring.

You use a combination of your lamps and spraypaint to mark the anomaly, both discovering that it indeed does appear to be a completely "stopped" area and also marking it with a nice big spraypainted "X" every few feet.

Team Green:

stick close to lars, pray no-one gets hurt now that my primitive medkit is nothing more than ash.

((Are sample containers radiation proof?))
(They are to a degree, although it's not perfect. Also there are some that are more insulated then others; there are all sorts of sample containers in the vault.)

"Well, the lice weigh around three tons, are made mostly of silicon and carbon, and they eat rock. Now, I need to go. Don't follow me."

Hand Lars my gun, and run away from the group. When I can no longer see the group, look for the figures again.

You hand off your gun and run away from the group. When you're a mile or so away  and the group is out of sight, you look for the figures again. They're there, in the cracks of the rock, closer, more numerous then before. Your head is starting to hurt.

Team Base (With help from team red)

Help Anton out with getting that thing out of our base. Using Gilgamesh of course.

((I'm afraid prosperus won't be here to help us in time. so I'll just try to lend a hand.))

"Once we get this out of here, We're going to keep it away from the base from the time being. Once it's gone, we'll be on our way again while base team does repairs. Then they can try to find a better storage place for it."
((Just in case it's not obvious, Anton is still poised to do what was planned.))

Proceed with the plan, for fury's sake. Make sure there's nobody in the corridor, make sure the repair equipment and supplies are ready, and order ALVIN to open the shutter. Shout a warning to the people outside to get clear. Approach the radioactive thingy, as long as the overpenetrating radiation doesn't reach instantly deadly levels, and jam it out through the hole in the wall, followed by all the lesser fragments that are inside. Begin the repairs as soon as the radioactive rock is out.

Anton waits as the shutters near the infirmary close and then the infirmary door opens, venting atmosphere into the ruptured infirmary umbilical. The Suit's radiation monitor beeps as minor amounts of radiation begin leaking through the suit; Nothing dangerous so far, but not the sort of thing you want to stand around in for too long. The Hot potato itself is an irregular lump of brightly glowing material, vaguely crystalline with sharp edges and points where it fractured off from a larger whole. It's surrounded by a dozen more of those beads, as well as chunks of black stone with beads embedded in them.

Anton walks slowly over to the thing, ignoring the quickly increasing radiation levels, and sweeps it up off the ground in both hands. St. Elmo's fire arcs off his arms and surrounds his body, crackling and arcing from him to the walls of the umbilical. His suit is throwing up massive amounts of warnings, screaming about disproportionate levels of radiation. His monitor is distorting so badly that it's hard to find the hole and hand the object off to Miyamoto, but he manages after a few terrified seconds of blind groping. Miyamoto takes the thing in both hands of the battlesuit, closing it's hands around it, trying to keep the radiation contained as much as possible. He activates his rockets and burns off to the edge of the home zone, near zone 6, and leaves the thing there.

Anton seals the inner side of the umbilical, welding a metal plate in place. He leaves the Umbilical and seals it behind him and is just about to head out side and finish the repairs when he drops his welding torch. He bends down to pick it up and finds himself unable to. His hands are moving slowly, awkwardly, and are completely numb. He feels a little bit ill otherwise, but mostly fine.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Misson 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13274 on: April 01, 2013, 04:23:04 pm »

((Uh oh. Radioation poisioning!))

Wait for others to start walking.

"Can we move on now?"
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 [885] 886 887 ... 1256