Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 886 887 [888] 889 890 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3808916 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Misson 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13305 on: April 03, 2013, 08:11:24 am »

Busy now to actually read everyone as I usually do and post an action (probably later), but I still don't understand how we were able to first notice, then avoid, and then enter the "normal zone". Because if the time or objects are not affected in any way, we shouldn't have known that it exists. Well now that we enter it, it "feels a bit odd," but I'm going to assume that it was entered it if not explored it, way back when we first discovered it.
((
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wouldn't you say the yellow is a normal zone? And then when you start walking in the yellow and start feeling weird wouldn't you say it's something different then the green zone, even though you can't define the exact boundary?))
((But we only began walking in it this turn, before it we didn't feel weird, so we supposedly did not step in it at all. Also, before the second expedition the map looked like this: http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/Horrible_illustrations_for_ER/media/map2_zps9456ebe9.png.html
Wouldn't you say it would be logical to continue exploring the anomaly on it's side instead of discovering the "Stop Anomaly"? To us it was the edge of the anomaly.

Also, that was quite the trip back we did to the opening in the anomaly. I'd have said to continue exploring it's boundary if I had known better.))

"It feels odd? Did anyone besides me had odd dreams this night? Unless you object Team Leader, I'm stepping in to check. Also, if Flint needs company I could join him. It's my fault he's here without his endeared suit.

Or we could go in teams of two on both sides of the normal zone, and map both edges at once."

Step inside the anomaly to check if the odd feeling feels the same as the one caused by the dreams. Also, how far away from us is Flint? Can we see him?

PS: Tell me if the lonk doesn't work. For me, it works in one browser, and doesn't work in the other. ???????
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:14:40 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13306 on: April 03, 2013, 08:58:26 am »

Get going towards where we stopped mapping the edge of our vision anomaly zone. Drag anyone of team red who tries dilly-dallying any further. Once there, try to further map the edge of the distortion zone using the modified mapping drone.

"Team red, we're moving out. That includes you, Michael. Leave the experimenting to Simus, that's her job after all."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13307 on: April 03, 2013, 09:21:38 am »

Lukas shrugs. "Well, let's go then."

Assist Miyamoto in dragging unwilling team members along convincing the other team members to follow us.

(( :D Sorry, I have very little inspiration with regard to things for Lukas to say atm.))
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13308 on: April 03, 2013, 10:39:33 am »

((Just make a lot of beeping noises, Mr. Giant Death Robot.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13309 on: April 03, 2013, 03:08:39 pm »

Team Blue
Busy now to actually read everyone as I usually do and post an action (probably later), but I still don't understand how we were able to first notice, then avoid, and then enter the "normal zone". Because if the time or objects are not affected in any way, we shouldn't have known that it exists. Well now that we enter it, it "feels a bit odd," but I'm going to assume that it was entered it if not explored it, way back when we first discovered it.

((How to notice? When the rocks you throw are no longer slowed nor hastened but rather behave as expected, then you noticed a piece of land that seems more or less normal; a normal zone or as Vich told Zephy: An area (seemingly) without an anomaly. Sure, there should be no way to know if you're not already in it (well except for feeling odd, but that was discovered just now). Since the time distortions seemingly formed a wall, we just assumed there also was some kind of boundary when stepping into the gap - which seems to hold true if feeling weird indicates anything.))

((Also am I right that only Flint entered so far? If yes:))
"I'm gonna stay here for now, I'm feeling uneasy enough without being surrounded by physical shenanigans.."
Stay here with the team, outside the gap. Unless we decide the whole team should go through in which case I follow along.
Well...Bishop is staying here, so You suppose you will as well. Vich and Flint no doubt have all the dangerous stuff well and truly handled without your help. No reason for you to have to stick your head into potentially fatal situations. Nope. Just gonna stay right here.

"Hmmm... I'm not sure what good the landlines would do if you went into one of those distortions or not. You may as well just keep going, but it's your choice if you want to go back for the landlines or not. If you don't want to go any further, head back out and we'll check out zone 4."

Keep watch on Flint's progress and on the area in general.

You sit outside the effected area and watch as flint very slowly wanders around, throwing handfuls of rocks in all directions and tip toeing about. You yawn and stretch your legs. Though exponentially more safe, this isn't exactly as exciting.

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 3

"This feels odd... It's not a thing, it's just... strange. I'm going to go further in."

See if I can determine the kind of strangeness I feel or its source. Take some ground samples. Map further into the "normal" zone and check if the base can hear me and if there is any delay due to the anomalies in between the base and us. Look around for anything else that seems strange.

@Bishop: "Hmm... I just thought of something. If these things mess with light, it's quite possible that our radios won't work beyond it. Should I go back and get those land lines blue leader?" ((And also conveniently take my exosuit?))

((vv Thanks! Good luck with your May encounter and whatever piecewise does for the anniversary. Oh, and better wish Jim\SerCon some luck too if you are the superstitious type. Things aren't looking good on their end.))
The strangeness seems to be a general feeling of floaty, lightheadedness and of moving ever so slightly slower; like the feeling of resistance as you walk through water, but much less so. You can't tell the source of it; it seems to be all around you. You take a sample of the ground, though it doesn't appear to be any different from anywhere else around here, and radio your mapping progress back to base. It seems to work just fine; if there's a delay, you don't notice it. One thing you notice, though, is that as you get farther in the effect, though slight, seems to be increasing. You're feeling light headed even more, and movements are meeting with more resistance.

((
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wouldn't you say the yellow is a normal zone? And then when you start walking in the yellow and start feeling weird wouldn't you say it's something different then the green zone, even though you can't define the exact boundary?))
((But we only began walking in it this turn, before it we didn't feel weird, so we supposedly did not step in it at all. Also, before the second expedition the map looked like this: http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/Horrible_illustrations_for_ER/media/map2_zps9456ebe9.png.html
Wouldn't you say it would be logical to continue exploring the anomaly on it's side instead of discovering the "Stop Anomaly"? To us it was the edge of the anomaly.

Also, that was quite the trip back we did to the opening in the anomaly. I'd have said to continue exploring it's boundary if I had known better.))

"It feels odd? Did anyone besides me had odd dreams this night? Unless you object Team Leader, I'm stepping in to check. Also, if Flint needs company I could join him. It's my fault he's here without his endeared suit.

Or we could go in teams of two on both sides of the normal zone, and map both edges at once."

Step inside the anomaly to check if the odd feeling feels the same as the one caused by the dreams. Also, how far away from us is Flint? Can we see him?

PS: Tell me if the lonk doesn't work. For me, it works in one browser, and doesn't work in the other. ???????

The feeling you felt in the dream is somewhat the same as this, but the one in the dream didn't make you light headed, and it was more like wading through jelly, much greater then the feeling you have here, which is so minor you wonder if you're not just imagining it.

Flint is a few miles away; just a little dot by this point, but still visible, especially using the zoom on the visor.

Team Green

Visor zoom, observe the distant things
The appear to be long, vaguely serpentine but with large, individual body segments; like a string of boulders swimming very slowly through the molten sea. You can't see much of them, beyond glimpses as they barely break surface and then descend again.

"Well."

Try and scan the shadows.
It reveals nothing. No math, no information, nothing. They flicker from one position to the next, slowly getting closer the longer you stare at them.

Lars surveyed the sea.  Auron's suggestion stuck in his head- a pipeline here, headed back to the main base... interesting.  Anyway.

"Let us continue."

Keep going "south" and around.  If this would lead too far (more than two smallhexes) into the next bighex down, stop.

Lars, with most of his team, follows the Iron sea down  and around until they find what they believe is the point at which it turns and starts to slowly arch back and complete its circle. However, it looks like following the lake along it's beach of hardened iron nodules and metal coated stone would take the team rather deeper into the next zone then they were prepared to travel.

Team Red

Get going towards where we stopped mapping the edge of our vision anomaly zone. Drag anyone of team red who tries dilly-dallying any further. Once there, try to further map the edge of the distortion zone using the modified mapping drone.

"Team red, we're moving out. That includes you, Michael. Leave the experimenting to Simus, that's her job after all."
Lukas shrugs. "Well, let's go then."

Assist Miyamoto in dragging unwilling team members along convincing the other team members to follow us.

(( :D Sorry, I have very little inspiration with regard to things for Lukas to say atm.))
Put strange grass stuff in vault and follow team
"Guess we might as well get going if we're done here."

Get ready to head out with Red team.
Red team marches at double time, exploring large swaths of land and marking the edges of the visual anomaly by carefully stepping in and out of it with someone always holding their other hand, ready to drag them back. They find two new anomalies; an area where the tint of the world seems to be off; as though they're viewing the world through a broken monitor. Red is green, yellow is blue, blue is purple, it's all very odd. Another area like this lies on the opposite end of the anomaly  'Bubble', except there the colors seem to be inverted, rather then randomly different.

Team Trusting Mesk With medical matters.

"So, you ever had an amputation and limb replacement procedure done before?  Oh, what am I saying, of course not.  Well, that's alright.  I've never performed one."
Assemble the necessary equipment, apply localized anesthesia to Anton's left arm, and run a mental checklist of stuff I need to do.  Get that sweet, sweet dynamic bonus going.
"I'll do your left hand first.  That's your non-dominant side, right?  This way if something goes catastrophically wrong because I have no idea what I'm doing... well, at least you'll still have your dominant."

((Heh, I knew something like that would happen sooner or later. This was rather sooner than the sooner I expected though. :P

Also, waiting for that updated map so I can update mine. Or really, I could just send you the PSD. ninja'd!))

Anton's eyes widened as he saw the damage to his hands, but his resigned and slightly depressed nature took over a little too quickly, causing his reaction to be rather subdued.

"Well that's just grand. Fuck me sideways. I guess I missed the "H" in "HMRC".
Okay, Mesk, you're the medic here. If you say that's the way to fix it, then that's the way to fix it. Hell, even I can tell when a machine's too broke to repair, and these seem to have gone past "burned out" and into "extra crispy". Darn flimsy organic machinery...

So... let's get on with it, I guess.
"

Cooperate with the replacement procedure. Attempt to give helpful comments on mechanic appendage intergration.

Mesk preps for surgery, getting scrubbed up and ready while anton makes himself comfortable on the table in the surgical theater. A quick shot of pain killers to help with the slowly building pain from the nerves still alive on the edge of his dead hands makes this fairly easy. Mesk, fully prepped, rolls out his tray of surgical tools and the parts needed to replace Anton's hands and sets himself up beside his patient after hooking up the various monitoring equipment as well as the IV machine to make sure Anton is constantly supplied with more blood, fluids or pain killers if he needs it.

Now mesk, on your tray of tools here we have a set of scalpels and cutting instruments, bone saw, lots of tiny little bioelectric translator clips, an artificial skin mesh with small, precut holes in it, a prosthetic mounting plate, with one side covered in nodes for bioelectric translators and the other with attachment points for the artificial limb. And then you have the artificial limb itself, for the right hand, and a mounting plate brace with the hardware to attach it to the flesh and bone of the remaining arm.

What do you do first?

Map:
http://i.imgur.com/3Gn5G7T.png

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13310 on: April 03, 2013, 03:21:40 pm »

"Guys, this is ridiculous. We have four people here. By having only one person do anything, we're making a ridiculous waste of our manpower. I say we should either join Flint, preferably in the formation I suggested, or explore the edges of this anomaly some more. By the way, Flint, how are you feeling?

In related news, am I only one to have had strange dreams this night? It's odd in here, somewhat similar to that (describe). This anomaly may be affecting our consciousness, even if we keep on the outside of it. I would recommend that after today we explore some other anomaly, to avoid prolonged exposure."

((Also, here's something that I find hilarious. We're still on day two IC, but several weeks in OOC. No Piecewise, you're not doing a year-long mission. You're doing a fifteen year long mission. Bwahahaha!!))
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:32:07 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13311 on: April 03, 2013, 04:44:45 pm »

"Hrmm. What do they want?"

Place the goggles on the ground. Step away, and watch the reaction.

((Running out of ideas...))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13312 on: April 03, 2013, 05:25:18 pm »

try to find some loose iron and stick it in a sample container ready for a metallurgical analysis, follow lars.

((I wanna know how pure it is and if there are any other metals in it we can split from it.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13313 on: April 03, 2013, 07:15:56 pm »

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 3

"I'm fine... sort of... This feels strange... like I'm moving more slowly... getting a bit... a bit lightheaded... must be getting tired from not having my exosuit... you think these MK2s fix heart attacks? Heh." Flint hadn't lost his sense of humor. However he was beginning to feel more and more lightheaded and was afraid of losing his senses. He wondered if he should keep pushing forward. There was something disturbingly familiar about this zone. Vich's voice triggered his memory. "You know, now that you mention it... I did had a strange dream last night... Felt something like this... yet different somehow... Spooky huh?"

@Bishop:"Blue leader, I'm gonna... I'm going to move a bit further into the zone... I think I'm close to the other side now... Can you leave someone behind?... To wait for me?... The rest move on... I'll be fine... I'll stay in touch... I once walked through the desert for a whole day when I was young..."

See if there's any easy way to increase my oxygen supply. Keep exploring, reporting my progress to Canary Base every 5 minutes. Try opening and closing my lamps a few times and see if I can see anything strange about the light here. Also shoot a rock towards the sky. If I start feeling too lightheaded (like near feinting) retreat.

((@Mesk: This is HMRC surgeon simulator all over again...))
((Running out of ideas...))
((You know, you could stop using the pirate eye for a while. These things seem to attack you only when you use it too much and only exist during the time you use it. Maybe they're actually inside your brain, some sort of overheating. Or maybe you can only use it for a limited time, and once your time is up, they come and take your mind. Who knows?))

((Too tired to update notes now. Will update tomorrow.))
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:00:51 am by Parisbre56 »

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13314 on: April 03, 2013, 09:06:34 pm »

"I did have odd dreams last night. They're the main reason I feel uneasy out here. More so now that I know you guys had them as well."
@Flint "Don't overdo it out there, old man."

Zephyris didn't like this turn of events. The team should have waited until his exosuit was available again. He wasn't exactly the youngest of the group and walking miles without his exosuit was probably taking its toll by now. Vich is right. We should have gone in as a group..
But then something struck her odd.
Why'd he get lightheaded though? Sure, he is probably pretty exhausted...but I thought these suits - or at least a MkII or higher - always provided enough oxygen as needed. Well Flints suit apparently was rather slow on adjusting the oxygen level..
Rather slow..moving more slowly.."Of course!"

"Flint, the gap is not normal. It's most likely an anomaly that gets progessively slower. That's why you're feeling lightheaded. It's not just slowing your movement but also your breathing and blood circulation! I strongly suggest not going in any further!"

((I got a bit too tired myself to make Zephy's train of thought any more coherent. She (and by extension I myself) also likely missed something after jumping to that conclusion))
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13315 on: April 03, 2013, 10:35:23 pm »

"If Zeph is right, Flint you might want to backtrack or otherwise increase your oxygen intake to counter the slowed breathing. It's your call, but be warned, if things go really wrong then we might not be able to come save you in time. If you are still having trouble in a few minutes, come back and we'll just ignore this place for now and circle around the whole thing."

If Flint comes back, lead the team towards the next zone we have to explore.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13316 on: April 03, 2013, 10:53:42 pm »

"Bishop, not to press on you, but if anyone is qualified to rescue Flint, it is you. You've got an MK3 with those rocket pods. If Flint falls, you could just fly in, pick him up, and carry him out. And even if he doesn't fall... let's just say that if this thing is affecting our consciousness, the less he has to spend in there, the better. So I would suggest you get him out. Now.

Flint, if you're feeling lighheaded, stop for a moment, and sit down for a minute. That is NOT normal. If you can't even speak, the last thing you should be doing is trying to be a hero. And finally, I'm sorry for making you leave your suit behind, but that is working into our advantage. If you fall and we need to carry you, the less you weight, the better."

((My action will be dependent on your responces.))
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:55:55 pm by Thearpox »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13317 on: April 04, 2013, 01:00:35 am »

(piecewise: I'm assuming you meant I have the left arm prosthetic ready.  If it actually is the right, just switch my actions to fit.)

Mesk steps back, takes a deep breath, and sighs.
"Ok, here goes..."
He steps forward and picks up a scalpel.
Carefully create an incision on the left arm, far enough above where the flesh has died to avoid complications from necrosis.  Cut all the way around, to the bone, clamping blood vessels where needed.
Use the bone saw to remove the left hand.  Reattach arteries and veins.  Connect bioelectric translator clips to the appropriate nerves.
Place artifical skin mesh over the stump, aligning clips to holes.  Place prosthetic mounting plate on the stump, attaching bioelectric translator nodes to corresponding clips on the arm.
Set up mounting plate brace for the prosthetic left hand.  Finally, hook up the artificial limb itself.

"Ok Anton, can you wiggle your fingers for me, please?  Thumb through pinky one at a time, then make a fist and relax, if you don't mind."

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13318 on: April 04, 2013, 02:07:10 am »

Lukas: Beep Boop!
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13319 on: April 04, 2013, 02:16:00 am »

"Ok Anton, can you wiggle your fingers for me, please?  Thumb through pinky one at a time, then make a fist and relax, if you don't mind."
"Sure. If it suddenly leaps off and grabs you by the throat, that wasn't me."

Cooperate with the procedures. Watch the electric/mechanical side of the operation intently, ready to interject and correct Mesk if he is about to make an obvious error with the hookup.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 886 887 [888] 889 890 ... 1256