Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 887 888 [889] 890 891 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3826946 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Misson 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13320 on: April 04, 2013, 08:18:17 am »

Accidentaly posted ahead of time. Since I already occupy the space, I will just use it to post an actual action in several hours. Still waiting for Flint/Bishop to respond.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:19:55 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13321 on: April 04, 2013, 08:55:53 am »

((If that wasn't clear, the pauses in my speech were supposed to be deep breaths. You know, since my body is experiencing symptoms of hypoxia, Hyperpnea would be the body's natural response. I think so, anyway. I'm not a biologist.))

Flint sat down on a place where the cracks in the volcanic glass allowed him to sit comfortably. He waited for a few seconds to catch his breath.
"Nah, I'm fine. You're all worrying too much. Just getting a bit tired, that's all. Maybe moving around in that exosuit all the time softened me up. Heh. Great opportunity to do some work out this mission, don't you think?
And don't worry, I know my limits. I'll only go as far as my body can take me. I'll be reporting back to Canary Base every 5 minutes, just to be on the safe side."

Like Alice deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole I go... I really hope I manage to map to the other side, cause next time, I ain't walking. I'm taking the MPV.

((Sorry for the delay, trying to cross things of my to-do list while studying for an exam is taking me longer than anticipated. Still haven't updated my notes.))

((Also, here's something that I find hilarious. We're still on day two IC, but several weeks in OOC. No Piecewise, you're not doing a year-long mission. You're doing a fifteen year long mission. Bwahahaha!!))
((More like 3 days. Maybe we'll get double points because of all the time we spent doing stuff?))

((And Flint is not resentful, he just changes his mind too often and likes to complain about stuff a lot, like some old men do. One minute he may love you, the next he may hate you. And really, saying that Flint is too attached to the mining exosuit is like saying Miyamoto is too attached to his battlesuit. And it's not useless! If I had it right now, I could use the rocket pods for a speedy getaway. I will agree that he is crazy and unstable though.))
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:06:52 am by Parisbre56 »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13322 on: April 04, 2013, 10:23:19 am »

((Totally forgot about the rocket pods. And about being resentful, you'd better watch those parethesis. What Vich thinks is not what I think. You disagree with what he says, you can address it in character.

And I'm in the middle of classes right now. And when the classes finish, Piecewise will probably have already nearly finished writing the post. That's every day for me, yay.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13323 on: April 04, 2013, 12:27:10 pm »

Team Blue
Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 3

"I'm fine... sort of... This feels strange... like I'm moving more slowly... getting a bit... a bit lightheaded... must be getting tired from not having my exosuit... you think these MK2s fix heart attacks? Heh." Flint hadn't lost his sense of humor. However he was beginning to feel more and more lightheaded and was afraid of losing his senses. He wondered if he should keep pushing forward. There was something disturbingly familiar about this zone. Vich's voice triggered his memory. "You know, now that you mention it... I did had a strange dream last night... Felt something like this... yet different somehow... Spooky huh?"

@Bishop:"Blue leader, I'm gonna... I'm going to move a bit further into the zone... I think I'm close to the other side now... Can you leave someone behind?... To wait for me?... The rest move on... I'll be fine... I'll stay in touch... I once walked through the desert for a whole day when I was young..."

See if there's any easy way to increase my oxygen supply. Keep exploring, reporting my progress to Canary Base every 5 minutes. Try opening and closing my lamps a few times and see if I can see anything strange about the light here. Also shoot a rock towards the sky. If I start feeling too lightheaded (like near feinting) retreat.

((@Mesk: This is HMRC surgeon simulator all over again...))
((Running out of ideas...))
((You know, you could stop using the pirate eye for a while. These things seem to attack you only when you use it too much and only exist during the time you use it. Maybe they're actually inside your brain, some sort of overheating. Or maybe you can only use it for a limited time, and once your time is up, they come and take your mind. Who knows?))

((Too tired to update notes now. Will update tomorrow.))

Increasing the oxygen flow seems to help a bit, but not really.  The lightheadedness is still tolerable so you keep going, mapping slowly while hurling rocks into the air and flashing your lights around. Nothing seems overly strange about here. Maybe rocks take a little bit longer to fall? You're not sure if you're imaging it though.

You don't get far before you come across something...odd. It's a zone where the loose stones are literally jerking up, then down, left then right and generally flying all over the damn place with no real discernible reason or cause. Probably shouldn't stick your face in there.

"If Zeph is right, Flint you might want to backtrack or otherwise increase your oxygen intake to counter the slowed breathing. It's your call, but be warned, if things go really wrong then we might not be able to come save you in time. If you are still having trouble in a few minutes, come back and we'll just ignore this place for now and circle around the whole thing."

If Flint comes back, lead the team towards the next zone we have to explore.

He does not. Damn that man and his braveness. Clearly not cut out for the HMRC.

"The C stands for Cowards, man! Stop this madness!"

Team Green

"Hrmm. What do they want?"

Place the goggles on the ground. Step away, and watch the reaction.

((Running out of ideas...))
You don't have the goggles with you. Thank goodness you don't too, otherwise they would have melted. As per what to do, have you considered not using the pirate vision? Perhaps it is angering your stalkers.

try to find some loose iron and stick it in a sample container ready for a metallurgical analysis, follow lars.

((I wanna know how pure it is and if there are any other metals in it we can split from it.))
You grab a few lumps of lose iron from the beach and stick them in a sample container. Maybe now you can start your carrier as a ren-faire blacksmith.

Team Red

Lukas: Beep Boop!

Team red certainly is getting lots done this turn, eh?

Team Trauma center

"Ok Anton, can you wiggle your fingers for me, please?  Thumb through pinky one at a time, then make a fist and relax, if you don't mind."
"Sure. If it suddenly leaps off and grabs you by the throat, that wasn't me."

Cooperate with the procedures. Watch the electric/mechanical side of the operation intently, ready to interject and correct Mesk if he is about to make an obvious error with the hookup.

(piecewise: I'm assuming you meant I have the left arm prosthetic ready.  If it actually is the right, just switch my actions to fit.)

Mesk steps back, takes a deep breath, and sighs.
"Ok, here goes..."
He steps forward and picks up a scalpel.
Carefully create an incision on the left arm, far enough above where the flesh has died to avoid complications from necrosis.  Cut all the way around, to the bone, clamping blood vessels where needed.
Use the bone saw to remove the left hand.  Reattach arteries and veins.  Connect bioelectric translator clips to the appropriate nerves.
Place artifical skin mesh over the stump, aligning clips to holes.  Place prosthetic mounting plate on the stump, attaching bioelectric translator nodes to corresponding clips on the arm.
Set up mounting plate brace for the prosthetic left hand.  Finally, hook up the artificial limb itself.

"Ok Anton, can you wiggle your fingers for me, please?  Thumb through pinky one at a time, then make a fist and relax, if you don't mind."

(Well, both of his hands are fucked so doesn't really matter which one you do first.)
[med:3+2]

Mesk performs the surgery with such precision, accuracy and straight up correctness that it's actually a little bit surprising. He's gone from kicking patients to death to some sort of medical savant. Oh well, maybe the "Stop being a fuckup" part of his brain finally kicked on after getting his spine broken a few times.

Anton gives his new robotic hand a wiggle, shouts the obligatory starwars reference, and then giggles for 10 straight minutes as Mesk gets ready to do the next hand.

(I think I may experiment with how we handle surgery around here mesk. You may be gathering the parts you need and puzzle gaming your way to medical prowess more often.)

Map
http://i.imgur.com/YGj5hYH.png

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13324 on: April 04, 2013, 12:33:27 pm »

Repeat the process on his other hand.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13325 on: April 04, 2013, 12:44:44 pm »

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 3

"Strange zone... well, strangER zone observed... erratic movement on all directions... Newton would get a stroke with this place... Hey, I just thought of a name for this area... Newton's Playground."

Put something that looks flexible (not my arm) in the strange zone and observe results. If I have nothing flexible that is unimportant, just put a long rock in there and see whether or not it gets destroyed by the strange forces. Keep on mapping and reporting my progress every once in a while.

EDIT: Counter Vich's speech with a speech of my own about how he should join me in mapping.

"Come on... Just a bit further now... Almost to the other side..."
Suddenly, Flint realised his team was resting while he was out exploring. Letting me do all the work while they do nothing? At my age? People this days... No respect for their elders.
"Hey, are you gonna let me map this entire zone by myself while you just stand there like chopped sausages? Either come with me or go around."
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:44:39 pm by Parisbre56 »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13326 on: April 04, 2013, 12:59:11 pm »

"Well, we were kinda waiting to see if you needed help, so we were near the entrance to minimize time getting to you... But, ok! Good luck getting out by yourself then! You heard the man, let's get this train wreck on the move!"

Lead the team around to the unexplored side of the distortions, mapping as we go.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13327 on: April 04, 2013, 01:05:56 pm »

Anton smiles, though somewhat sadly, appreciating his newly metallic appendage.

"At the risk of jinxing it before the job is done - nice work, Mesk. Now let's get the other one done so I can install lasers into both of them."

Watch carefully again. Since the previous operation was a resounding success, use the gained knowledge on how the procedure must be performed to safeguard Mesk against any mistakes.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13328 on: April 04, 2013, 02:21:23 pm »

((Goddamn you and you posting ahead of time! Seriously. I expect you to post in several hours, and you post then. Meh. Another turn wasted.))

Vich was getting increasingly frustrated with the team. The old actor was crazy, thinking himself to be a hero in some stupid movie. That guy was irresponsible, maybe even unstable. And he was probably attached to that mining exosuit, however useless it was here. Was it right to rouse him, and walk out here without it? The actor was probably at least a little resentful. Probably not the best start if he wanted to be friends with the guy.

The leader, Bishop, on the other hand, was spineless and unfit to lead anything. Not surprising, if his only qualification was that he led more missions than everyone else. And from what Vich understood, he was a tech guy. Mainly dealing with machines and tools. Not humans. To be a bad leader for a guy like him... forgivable, and in a different circumstance he would be invaluable. Was it him playing the first string during the computer data retrieval? Phenomenal yes, but not in this role.

But really, what kind of language was that? "You might want to..." or "It's your call...". This was not a picnic goddamn it! You either can decide, or you can't. I really hate starting over. It was great the first time, when I was rising up the rebel ranks. It was tedious he second time, when I was blind. But only now am I beggining to get really frustrated. Relax Vich, relax. You're not new to frustration, you're not new to human idiocy. I can handle it, can't I? Yes I can.

But he really needed to assume leadership at some point. Although if he had to spend a year here before he would be seen as anything more than a green recruit, it was better to not worry about that for now.

That Zephyria one, or whatever her name was however... Still undecided about that one, that is. Mostly keeping back, not much initiative. On the other hand, a stronger spirit might show up in a few weeks after getting accustomed to the circumstances. We'll see.

"Bishop, you are about to abandom a teammate to his death. Now, I am not naive and I am not a stranger to it. But it is absolutely unnecesary here. And Flint may be suicidal, but he's the useful kind of suicidal. I am asking you again to use your rocket pods to get him out.

Flint, there may be no other side. This tunnel may end in an impenetrable anomaly. And if it does have an end, we will reach it while exploring from the other side. And frankly, I doubt you can even get back as it is. Think about what you're doing for a second. The only reason why you're here alone is that this thing is dangerous. The others had the sense to not blunder in blindly. And what when you get to the other side? You will have to struggle back around the whole of anomaly. Alone. Are you sure you want to do that?"

Speech Flint into going back. Speech Bishop into activating his freaking rocket pods and getting him out. EDIT: Only do that if it's not dangerous for him to fly there on low speeds because of the narrowness of the corridor. If check on Bishop is unsuccessful, activate my exaggerated movements mode and jog up to Flint and support him out.
       If Check on Flint fails but on Bishop doesn't, continue trying to convince Flint as Bishop is flying to him. If failed, convince him that resisting is futile.
       If Check on both Flint and Bishop fails, try again to convince Flint after I catch up to him, and if I fail again, convince him that resistance is futile since he's an older man, and is already low on oxygen.

((Speech, the enemy of roleplaying.
Looks at Flint's action; I was almost going to suggest that. I'm actually secretly hoping he succeeds.))
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:40:30 am by Thearpox »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13329 on: April 04, 2013, 02:26:09 pm »

Lars stood up.  "Right. Let's head back, brothers."

Head back around.  Take a break if we get tired/hungry/whatever.

Repeat the process on his other hand.

(([Med: 6+1-1]  You repeated the process, 100% exactly, on the other hand, giving him a nice, shiny new left hand.

On his right arm.  Oops.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13330 on: April 04, 2013, 02:26:36 pm »

Team red certainly is getting lots done this turn, eh?

((We sure do!))

Keep mapping, but also start throwing rocks around from time to time.

Over radio: "team blue, green, give me a quick status update. Oh, and Simus, are you planning on  experimenting with those radioactive rocks? If so, tell me if you find anything peculiar. Miyamoto out."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13331 on: April 04, 2013, 02:33:58 pm »

Lars tuned his radio to command comms.  "Glorious Leader, we of Team Green have found a great molten iron sea in Zone Five.  It extends well into the next zone down, which I believe is Zone Sixteen.  I have made the decision to turn around and not venture too far into that zone.  If you believe I should instead follow the sea, we will do so.  The sea and the life we found force us to follow along the outside."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13332 on: April 04, 2013, 03:32:45 pm »

"Fuck. God dammit. I really hope this works."

Close my Pirate eye, and stop using the pirate vision. Pray.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13333 on: April 04, 2013, 05:18:13 pm »

Lars, you have my permission to follow the sea if you wish, but be cautious if you choose to, it might intersect with another anomaly. Also, creatures? What kind of creatures?

Update and redistribute maps.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13334 on: April 04, 2013, 06:09:33 pm »

"Flint, there may be no other side. This tunnel may end in an impenetrable anomaly. And if it does have an end, we will reach it while exploring from the other side. And frankly, I doubt you can even get back as it is. Think about what you're doing for a second. The only reason why you're here alone is that this thing is dangerous. The others had the sense to not blunder in blindly. And what when you get to the other side? You will have to struggle back around the whole of anomaly. Alone. Are you sure you want to do that?"

"You think I'm in danger? You think you know the best strategy, the way to keep us all alive? Then let me share a little secret with you: This world is not fair. This world isn't human. This world is unknowable, unpredictable and alien. Things won't go well because you have a plan and because you think you're safe.
The trick in our situation is that there is no trick. No rules, no secret mantra, no road map. It's not about how smart or how good you think you are. This world is all chaos and luck, and if you think differently then you're a fool. All you can do is hang on madly, for as long as you can, before the inevitable meets you.
So what I do doesn't matter. What I have on me doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is my skills, my resolve and my luck. And I'd rather use those to do something interesting and productive instead of standing there, waiting to die, like a damned coward!"
((Imagine this said with deep breaths at the end of each sentence.))

((Action edited. Let the battle of wits and words immature flailing commence!))

((And +1 to anyone who gets the reference.))

((Oh, and notes updated. 7.2% of the planetoid mapped so far and one successful surgery conducted. Well done team.))
Pages: 1 ... 887 888 [889] 890 891 ... 1256