Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3832411 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Misson 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13335 on: April 04, 2013, 06:26:28 pm »

(Is it Max Payne? Probably not, but I do believe he says something like that in the later stages of the game. It's been awhile since I had a copy. ^^^;)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13336 on: April 04, 2013, 06:30:18 pm »

(Is it Max Payne? Probably not, but I do believe he says something like that in the later stages of the game. It's been awhile since I had a copy. ^^^;)
((Well done sir! Excellent! Very nice writing on that game...))

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13337 on: April 04, 2013, 06:34:26 pm »

(Holy shit, I actually sort of almost remembered something. XD But yeah, it's a great game. I still want to play Max Payne 3, but I haven't gotten around to it.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13338 on: April 04, 2013, 06:40:37 pm »

head back towards base, keep an eye out for interesting stuff
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13339 on: April 04, 2013, 06:58:30 pm »

(Was that an invitation to an argument? I think it was an invitation to an argument. Yay to my favorite activity.

Also, not good dealing with emotional people. I prefer cold logic. And I can't avoid walls of text on the internet. Ah, the problems of writing arguments in the forum game.))

"Flint, I know well and truly that the world is not fair. And I am not counting on a plan to keep me safe.

But you couldn't be more wrong about the rules or the road map. We follow what we know and do what we can. We distinguish patterns in the chaos, and adapt to avoid having to rely on luck. And yes, we hand on madly, for as long as we can. But you know what?
Some of us refuse to hand on. Some of give up and jump. Some of us blunder into the murderous unknown with the word "Death" written on it in giant letters, and refuse to acknowledge that there is such a thing as turning back.

You have said that the only thing that matters is your skills, your resolve, and your luck. You know what, I won't argue with that. You win that part hands down. But for the love of life, think about what you say! Your skills, is not only how strong your hands and legs are, but also knowledge, experience, that you have earned. Your skills, are the knowledge when to fight, how to fight, and when not to fight.

Your resolve, is the willpower to make hard decisions. Any brainwashed idiot can go forward to his oblivion, and any coward can run from danger. Your resolve, is what sets you apart from both. It is when you are able to say to yourself "I was wrong" or "I was right". It is when you can tell yourself the truth, and nothing but the truth. And the truth is, that you are tired. That your head hurts. That even on the other side, there will be no help and nothing will improve. Stop imagining how cool you look doing that, and don't mistake resolve for stubbornness Flint, beware.

And you know what, I am not finished yet. In your self-righteous reply, you have managed to call me a coward. But you know what is the truth about me? The one thing I am not afraid of is death. I have threw my life away too many times to be concerned about it now. I am standing here because we have expected you to come back. Because you volunteered to investigate this tunnel, and we were waiting for the results, and for you to come back. But let me tell you one thing. We are on our third day of exploration. And the truth of the story is, that the most cowardly, the most useless, the most despised of us, will see more interesting stuff and be more productive than you. Because in your hunt for "interesting and productive" you have deprived yourself of the "interesting and productive" for the rest of the year, for the rest of the mission, and for the rest of HMRC and beyond."
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13340 on: April 04, 2013, 07:22:14 pm »

(Was that an invitation to an argument? I think it was an invitation to an argument. Yay to my favorite activity.

Also, not good dealing with emotional people. I prefer cold logic. And I can't avoid walls of text on the internet. Ah, the problems of writing arguments in the forum game.))
((I was actually talking about the speech rolls. This argument will obviously get us nowhere with mere words. Flint is too emotional and stubborn old fool for that.

I'm fully with you on this one. If it was me on that planet I'd poke everything around me with a stick at least thrice before touching it. But with Flint, I get the opportunity to try acting like someone who is the complete opposite of me in some areas and completely like me on others.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13341 on: April 04, 2013, 08:30:51 pm »

"Oh settle down already, if he wants to go out there by himself into a field where he could get ripped apart in an instant, then by all means let him. I'm not going to fight out in the middle of a place where a step out of place means a painful death.

Also, you want me to fly out there, at high speed, into a narrow corridor that goes through that same minefield of temporal distortions? Riiiiiight, that's clearly a good idea. Not."

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13342 on: April 05, 2013, 12:17:48 am »

"Oh settle down already, if he wants to go out there by himself into a field where he could get ripped apart in an instant, then by all means let him. I'm not going to fight out in the middle of a place where a step out of place means a painful death.

Also, you want me to fly out there, at high speed, into a narrow corridor that goes through that same minefield of temporal distortions? Riiiiiight, that's clearly a good idea. Not."

"It won't be much of a fight, and you won't be fighting while you are using the rocket pods.

And nobody said anything about high speed. Low speed probably. Still much faster than walking. And it's not that much of a risk. The corridor is not that narrow, and the distortions are now marked by Flint. You do know where you're going."

((Regarding the narrowness of the corridor, you could say that you only fly in if it's not so narrow it's dangerous. We don't really know how narrow it is, but I suppose that's IC information.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13343 on: April 05, 2013, 12:23:50 am »

((The image of the mapping drone ripped apart by its own thrusters comes to mind.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13344 on: April 05, 2013, 12:39:19 am »

follow our glorious leader and continue until something happens then shoot it with my laser-gun if hostile otherwise poke it.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13345 on: April 05, 2013, 02:27:48 am »

Lukas watches Miyamoto throwing rocks. "I can do that!"

Assist in the rock throwing.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13346 on: April 05, 2013, 06:02:01 am »

"You did see what happened to the drone, right? And we don't know if the distortions curve over the 'normal' zone to form a roof or not, so I don't want to risk flying in there. If you really want to help him, then just stay here or go in with him, it's that simple. We, on the other hand, are going to check around the side to see how far this goes."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13347 on: April 05, 2013, 10:36:29 am »

Lars tuned his radio to command comms.  "Glorious Leader, we of Team Green have found a great molten iron sea in Zone Five.  It extends well into the next zone down, which I believe is Zone Sixteen.  I have made the decision to turn around and not venture too far into that zone.  If you believe I should instead follow the sea, we will do so.  The sea and the life we found force us to follow along the outside."

"You may continue exploring the edge of the sea, though it might be better to first go to the other (right) side first and work from there. That thing could extend several bighexes for all we know, and you guys don't have the supplies for a long trip like that. And whatever you do, make sure hex 5 gets fully mapped."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13348 on: April 05, 2013, 01:03:09 pm »

"The life appears to be some sort of giant rock-eating beetle that can withstand the heat.  There is also some sort of serpent thing swimming in the molten iron sea."

"Yes, Glorious Leader.  We will head back around toward the base and confirm our supplies, then continue the mapping."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13349 on: April 05, 2013, 06:49:12 pm »

Team Blue

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 3

"Strange zone... well, strangER zone observed... erratic movement on all directions... Newton would get a stroke with this place... Hey, I just thought of a name for this area... Newton's Playground."

Put something that looks flexible (not my arm) in the strange zone and observe results. If I have nothing flexible that is unimportant, just put a long rock in there and see whether or not it gets destroyed by the strange forces. Keep on mapping and reporting my progress every once in a while.

EDIT: Counter Vich's speech with a speech of my own about how he should join me in mapping.

"Come on... Just a bit further now... Almost to the other side..."
Suddenly, Flint realised his team was resting while he was out exploring. Letting me do all the work while they do nothing? At my age? People this days... No respect for their elders.
"Hey, are you gonna let me map this entire zone by myself while you just stand there like chopped sausages? Either come with me or go around."
((Goddamn you and you posting ahead of time! Seriously. I expect you to post in several hours, and you post then. Meh. Another turn wasted.))

Vich was getting increasingly frustrated with the team. The old actor was crazy, thinking himself to be a hero in some stupid movie. That guy was irresponsible, maybe even unstable. And he was probably attached to that mining exosuit, however useless it was here. Was it right to rouse him, and walk out here without it? The actor was probably at least a little resentful. Probably not the best start if he wanted to be friends with the guy.

The leader, Bishop, on the other hand, was spineless and unfit to lead anything. Not surprising, if his only qualification was that he led more missions than everyone else. And from what Vich understood, he was a tech guy. Mainly dealing with machines and tools. Not humans. To be a bad leader for a guy like him... forgivable, and in a different circumstance he would be invaluable. Was it him playing the first string during the computer data retrieval? Phenomenal yes, but not in this role.

But really, what kind of language was that? "You might want to..." or "It's your call...". This was not a picnic goddamn it! You either can decide, or you can't. I really hate starting over. It was great the first time, when I was rising up the rebel ranks. It was tedious he second time, when I was blind. But only now am I beggining to get really frustrated. Relax Vich, relax. You're not new to frustration, you're not new to human idiocy. I can handle it, can't I? Yes I can.

But he really needed to assume leadership at some point. Although if he had to spend a year here before he would be seen as anything more than a green recruit, it was better to not worry about that for now.

That Zephyria one, or whatever her name was however... Still undecided about that one, that is. Mostly keeping back, not much initiative. On the other hand, a stronger spirit might show up in a few weeks after getting accustomed to the circumstances. We'll see.

"Bishop, you are about to abandom a teammate to his death. Now, I am not naive and I am not a stranger to it. But it is absolutely unnecesary here. And Flint may be suicidal, but he's the useful kind of suicidal. I am asking you again to use your rocket pods to get him out.

Flint, there may be no other side. This tunnel may end in an impenetrable anomaly. And if it does have an end, we will reach it while exploring from the other side. And frankly, I doubt you can even get back as it is. Think about what you're doing for a second. The only reason why you're here alone is that this thing is dangerous. The others had the sense to not blunder in blindly. And what when you get to the other side? You will have to struggle back around the whole of anomaly. Alone. Are you sure you want to do that?"

Speech Flint into going back. Speech Bishop into activating his freaking rocket pods and getting him out. EDIT: Only do that if it's not dangerous for him to fly there on low speeds because of the narrowness of the corridor. If check on Bishop is unsuccessful, activate my exaggerated movements mode and jog up to Flint and support him out.
       If Check on Flint fails but on Bishop doesn't, continue trying to convince Flint as Bishop is flying to him. If failed, convince him that resisting is futile.
       If Check on both Flint and Bishop fails, try again to convince Flint after I catch up to him, and if I fail again, convince him that resistance is futile since he's an older man, and is already low on oxygen.

((Speech, the enemy of roleplaying.
Looks at Flint's action; I was almost going to suggest that. I'm actually secretly hoping he succeeds.))
[Vich speech:6+1]
[Flint will:3+1]

Vich, using a degree of speech making prowess that many might consider witchcraft, talks Flint into returning  from his exploration and joining up with the group again.

"Hooray! I have successfully halted progress! I am the best!"

"Well, we were kinda waiting to see if you needed help, so we were near the entrance to minimize time getting to you... But, ok! Good luck getting out by yourself then! You heard the man, let's get this train wreck on the move!"

Lead the team around to the unexplored side of the distortions, mapping as we go.

You lead the newly reunited team over toward the east. You head into zone 10 on the edge of the distortion. The team continues to find distortion, but also sees strange things on the horizon. Bright orange gooey looking things.

Team Red

Team red certainly is getting lots done this turn, eh?

((We sure do!))

Keep mapping, but also start throwing rocks around from time to time.

Over radio: "team blue, green, give me a quick status update. Oh, and Simus, are you planning on  experimenting with those radioactive rocks? If so, tell me if you find anything peculiar. Miyamoto out."

Lukas watches Miyamoto throwing rocks. "I can do that!"

Assist in the rock throwing.
follow our glorious leader and continue until something happens then shoot it with my laser-gun if hostile otherwise poke it.

Red team maps out even more of their zone. Rocks don't seem to help them find anything, and for the most part they just blunder into the anomalies. Luckily none of them seem overtly dangerous, just strange. Their vision gets inverted, their sense of perspective gets reversed so that things that are distant are viewed as close and things that are close are seen as distant, they go totally blind, and they even find a place they can't label. It seems like blindness, but it only effects them while they stand still.

Team Green

"Fuck. God dammit. I really hope this works."

Close my Pirate eye, and stop using the pirate vision. Pray.

Lars stood up.  "Right. Let's head back, brothers."

Head back around.  Take a break if we get tired/hungry/whatever.

Repeat the process on his other hand.

(([Med: 6+1-1]  You repeated the process, 100% exactly, on the other hand, giving him a nice, shiny new left hand.

On his right arm.  Oops.))
Morul opens his eye and cuts off pirate vision. The outline creatures vanish and then... Nothing happens. This is quite a good thing, all things considered.

In the mean time, the rest of team green wanders back home, this boots full of sweat and various other fluids.

Team "ER just got a lot more accurate."

Repeat the process on his other hand.
Anton smiles, though somewhat sadly, appreciating his newly metallic appendage.

"At the risk of jinxing it before the job is done - nice work, Mesk. Now let's get the other one done so I can install lasers into both of them."

Watch carefully again. Since the previous operation was a resounding success, use the gained knowledge on how the procedure must be performed to safeguard Mesk against any mistakes.

[mesk med:3+2]
Didn't even need the dynamic bonuses. It's all pure skill. And by skill I mean luck.

Mesk Successfully installs the other hand and Anton's transformation into Dr.Claw is complete

"Don't do anything too strenuous, stay out of radiation, vacuum and hot tubs."

Lars, you have my permission to follow the sea if you wish, but be cautious if you choose to, it might intersect with another anomaly. Also, creatures? What kind of creatures?

Update and redistribute maps.

http://i.imgur.com/SFXaKWL.png
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 1256