Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 909 910 [911] 912 913 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3829338 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Missile 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13650 on: April 19, 2013, 10:09:23 pm »

(Hey everyone who is just waiting while mesk flies. I'm just gonna skip you. Unless you really want to be graced with a "And then you waited some more!" post)

Team Blue:

((That is exactly the reason. Anomaly ganked it is.))
Wait for a test ride and a response what route were going to be flying and whether we should put drones in front of the shuttle. Then board and take off. (Repeating the action.)

PS: Play Chito Grito as we fly. (don't have sound right now, hope this works. Yup, it works.)

The drones aren't very smart, but you can manage to tell a few of them  to hover about 100 yards in front of the ship, just to give Mesk a bit of a heads up if shit is gonna get bad. Also you just get in the thing because there aren't no practice flights around here. Besides, mesk has flown this once before; he doesn't have to do rolls except for something new or extraordinary.

Let's-a go!

Edit: Remember to use the most up-to-date maps in order to steer well clear of any anomalies.

(By the way, where are we going?)

Take whatever route is decided by the team leaders or by consensus.

Which is apparently Sector 19.

You rise up and head out, flying toward sector 19 via the route the skirts the visual anomalies zone and the flatland. You stop the edge of sector 18.

"Uh guys...I'm not sure we should fly through here. There are like...black tower things?"

Sector 18 is an expanse of black rods,  some only a few feet across others hundreds of meters wide, and all of them standing what must be over a mile tall. It presents a wall of black, like the trunks of a graphite forest, that blocks the way forward. The only way through seems either to fly over, around, or walk through.  And from the great distance, off on the horizon, you can see that sector 19 looks quite odd as well, its a strange sort of indigo expanse, like an ocean but...well..purple.

"Well, I suppose you can drop off blue team first, or whatever. It doesn't matter who gets dropped off first, let's just get going."

Provide Mesk with a list of drop points for the teams and hop into the shuttle. Disembark when we arrive at our location.
Gonna be hard to do, I don't really know them.

Red team - Lukas

Lukas messages back to Anton:
"We're at the edge of the volcanic zone, about to collect samples. Join the party. It's a blast!"

He then turns to the rest of the team. "Okay men. This is it. This is where you can prove your sampling skills. Don't stop until the fat robot sings."

Randomly wander around (but beware of any dangers) and take samples of whatever seems intuitively interesting.

You wanna head into the hotzone or continue along it's border like before?

Team Red - Lukas

((I'll take the safe option, thank you. Let's continue along the border first.))
Red Team plays borderlands and hits a small hitch. They follow the edge of the Iron sea along it's west border and run across a rather strange geological anomaly. It's a waterfall of sorts, or an ironfall, in this case. A flow of pure, yellow hot molten metal into a massive chasm. Tiny islands of stone dot the edge of the molten falls like sandbanks in a stream and the flow throws off a continuous hell of sparks and embers as it rolls down into the abyss. Even stranger still, the chasm itself, even beyond the falls, is crackling with electricity; arcs of discharge that bridge the gap between the walls and race upward like the charge on a jacob's ladder.

"Huh. Well, thats a thing."

(@ Remalle: you need to take the team to sector 19. I choose that sector cause it seemed like that was the safest route. Going over the middle might be best, cause sector 3 is trouble, and sector 7 is uncertain danger. Might want to go over high.)
((Why not Sector 18? The flatlands don't reach there, the optical anomalies are off to the side, and it doesn't change the mission plan much. >_>))

((Sector 18 is ok too, but then he'll be flying dangerously close to the vision-distortion sector. And the pilot going blind in mid-air is rumored to be bad for your health. I guess you guys will see what route is the safest once you get nearer.))

(@ Remalle: you need to take the team to sector 19. I choose that sector cause it seemed like that was the safest route. Going over the middle might be best, cause sector 3 is trouble, and sector 7 is uncertain danger. Might want to go over high.)
((DO NOT GO HIGH! Don't you remember what happened to the drone? Except if by high, you mean really high, as in suborbital.))

((Pretty much. You could probably go out of orbit with that shuttle, so 'going high' means 'going as high as would be needed'. Remember he used that shuttle to get off-planet previous mission, so this could work too. But again, depends on how it looks once you're there.))

((By the way, I'll be away saturday, so if there is still indecision by then, you'll either have to wait or just go for it.))

Base team.

Try to think of a way of capturing one of the slug things using the stuff we currently have on hand.
Easiest thing you can think of is just getting simus in the battle suit or Lukas to just pick one up and drag it back. They're heavy but the suit and mr.giant robot are pretty damn strong. Worst comes to worst they could roll them or something.
Anton Chernozorov, Red Team technician, utterly alone in the garage.

Anton opens the general comms channel.

"Am I right in understanding that most of the experimentation team is already out? You people sure moved out quickly. This is Anton Chernozorov, I am taking the Dodo and a trailer of materials out north for experiments. If you have objections to that, please speak up soon."

Check on how many mapping drones we still have left. Put four of them, plus some basic materials like sheets of metal and long metal rods into the trailer. If a means to use it is readily available, put some fuel for the drones in there as well. Make sure to remember to take the container of bluerad shards along. Roll the MPV out of the garage, unhook the trailer, and drive a few circles and figure eights in front of the garage to get a feel for the controls. Wait for any word from teammates.
There are 127 left. Whoever stocked this place clearly knew about the HMRC and its habits of property destruction.

You load up the trailer up with the blue glass shards, the metal,rods, drones, fuel and various junk. That done, you unhitch it and drive around a bit. Seems easy, trivial even, compared to some of the stuff around here. It's basically a bike crossed with atv, nice and stable and quite easy to ride around on this flat ground with. Not exactly what you would call a powerhouse, but hey, it works.

Map
http://i.imgur.com/t5PTdVz.png

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13651 on: April 19, 2013, 11:06:05 pm »

((I love the descriptions of these, especially the ironfall.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13652 on: April 20, 2013, 12:03:54 am »

Land the shuttle a short distance away from the towers, check fuel levels and power down.
"Alright folks, end of the line.  It's all on foot from here.  I'll wait here for you unless something bad happens.  Good luck out there, people."

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13653 on: April 20, 2013, 12:42:23 am »

"Well then that was interesting"
Walk into the forest ready to laser anything that wants kill me
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13654 on: April 20, 2013, 01:03:44 am »

My comms can reach all the way to base right?

write up a data transmission subroutine for my suit capable of transmitting echolocation mapping data via my suit radio.

Wait for landing, once back on solid ground follow lars.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13655 on: April 20, 2013, 02:32:48 am »

"Right. Everyone off the ship! Good flying by the way Mesk. You didn't crash or hit anything, so that's a plus in my book."

Hop out of the ship and do a map update. Observe immediate surroundings and get blue team's shit together.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13656 on: April 20, 2013, 04:40:59 am »

Follow lars while watching the towers.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13657 on: April 20, 2013, 11:02:54 am »

"Thanks for not crashing. I appreciate it."

Follow Lars.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13658 on: April 20, 2013, 12:52:02 pm »

"Alright. Time to hit the road. Not literally, if at all possible."

Check if I have any recent map data on me anywhere. If not, go to CCR and grab a copy of the recent map. Hook the trailer back to the MPV and drive to the edge of the flatlands. Observe the surface of the flatland closely. There were cracks in it, weren't there? How wide? How deep?"
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13659 on: April 20, 2013, 01:22:47 pm »

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 18

If those black tower things are nearby, go and take a closer look at them. If not, examine them from afar for any visible pattern in their size and placement.
"I say blue squad stays to map this sector and green squad continues on to sector 19."
((Finally got some free time. Hopefully I'll update the notes soon.))
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:16:07 pm by Parisbre56 »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13660 on: April 20, 2013, 05:52:21 pm »

Land the shuttle a short distance away from the towers, check fuel levels and power down.
"Alright folks, end of the line.  It's all on foot from here.  I'll wait here for you unless something bad happens.  Good luck out there, people."
You land the shuttle down near the zone 18 border and check fuel and power levels. You've got plenty of both. You shrug, or try to in the cramped compartment. Wonder what you'll do while they're gone.

"Well then that was interesting"
Walk into the forest ready to laser anything that wants kill me

You walk straight out of the ship and over to the "forest" of black towers. Nothing immediately tries to murder you, or does anything really happen. Well, you are rather amazed by the sheer height and size of these things. And, looking at them, there seems to be a complex pattern spiraling around their "trunks" in bands, like a string wrapped around a broom handle. The pattern doesn't look natural to the stone, or whatever the "trees" are made of, it looks like it was cut or carved in.

"Right. Everyone off the ship! Good flying by the way Mesk. You didn't crash or hit anything, so that's a plus in my book."

Hop out of the ship and do a map update. Observe immediate surroundings and get blue team's shit together.
The immediate surroundings seem to be: Giant expanse of nothingness on one side, enormous black pillars on the other. Fair.

Follow Lars.

Follow Lars.
Will get right on that as soon as he moves.

"Alright. Time to hit the road. Not literally, if at all possible."

Check if I have any recent map data on me anywhere. If not, go to CCR and grab a copy of the recent map. Hook the trailer back to the MPV and drive to the edge of the flatlands. Observe the surface of the flatland closely. There were cracks in it, weren't there? How wide? How deep?"
You drive on out to the flatlands and observe from the edge.

It has very thin creases where the "stones" of the giants causeway like hexagonal pieces meet, but they look to be completely flush against each other and all at the same level. So, cracks yes, but problems for your hover craft idea? No.

If those black tower things are nearby, go and take a closer look at them. If not, examine them from afar for any visible pattern in their size and placement.
"I say blue squad stays to map this sector and green squad continues on to sector 19."
((Finally got some free time. Hopefully I'll update the notes soon.))
There looks to be no visible pattern in their size, placement or arrangement. They seem to all be the same height though, albeit it's hard to tell for sure from ground level. 

http://i.imgur.com/zhkctHa.png
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:58:12 pm by piecewise »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13661 on: April 20, 2013, 06:04:08 pm »

Get out of the shuttle, stretch my legs.  Bust out the deck of cards I'm conveniently carrying around and play solitaire by the shuttle until everyone gets back.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13662 on: April 20, 2013, 06:21:37 pm »

"Hmm... Strange... But also kind of awe inspiring and... beautiful." said  Flint as he observed the forest. He began walking towards it. "This brings back memories of the sharkmist mission. Fractal antennae but on a larger scale. But why would beings with the ability to perform such miracles need antennae to communicate? Unless it's some sort of experiment... or maybe a school, a science lab. Hmmm..." Once closer, he noticed the grooves on the rods. "On the other hand, these carvings..." he ran his hand over the carvings. "...look man-made. Alien-made. Anomaly-made. You know what I mean. They remind me of something I had read. The stones of the ancient era outlived the paper books of the fission era. Maybe this is some kind of storage medium. Who knows what priceless knowledge may be stored here? If only we could read it..." He got down and looked closer to the base of one of the rods. "Or perhaps nothing on this place has a job to perform. Maybe they are just interesting but ultimately purposeless toys and trinkets. A form of art with no other purpose then to be aesthetically pleasing."

Take some close up pictures/video of the rods. See if the ground shows how the rods got there (do the rods look like they were forced into the ground or did they "grew" out of the ground? ie, is the ground going upwards or downwards near the rods?). Gently run my hand over the rods and try to feel anything interesting. Look how deep the carvings are. Dig around the rods and see how deep they go and if the carvings continue deeper. Try not to scratch them or otherwise cause them harm. No reason to destroy them... yet.

Suddenly, Flint noticed there was one extra man with them. After a quick search, he spotted the odd one out.
@Corsair: "Hey, you..." Flint read the name on his suit. "Michael. Aren't you supposed to be with red team? What are you doing here?"
Grab Michael Alexander [Corsair] by the scruff (like a cat) and bring him to Bishop and Mesk. "I've got a stray here. What should we do with him?"
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 02:20:20 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13663 on: April 20, 2013, 08:55:40 pm »

Lars raised his hands toward the sky.  "Brothers!  Steve has brought us to this glorious place!  We shall probe its secrets, for the glory of Cog-azaon!  May Algis shield us and Pathmas always be in our favor!"

Lars looked toward Bishop.  "I shall lead my team toward the center of this zone, then I shall move out clockwise toward our ultimate goal.  Does this sound good to you?"

Head toward the center.  Observe along the way.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13664 on: April 20, 2013, 09:59:27 pm »

"This looks interesting"
Use laser to cut a bit of the black stuff out and store it then move further into the forest
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.
Pages: 1 ... 909 910 [911] 912 913 ... 1256