Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 912 913 [914] 915 916 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3831375 times)

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Missile 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13695 on: April 23, 2013, 10:41:10 am »

Follow lars while keeping an eye out for anything that could be hostile to the group.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13696 on: April 23, 2013, 10:48:17 am »

Base team

Team Red - Lukas

Lukas sends a message to Miyamoto:
"What exactly are we supposed to sample again?"

Message back:
Whatever looks interesting. If it seems getting something poses too great a risk, either leave it be or try to come up with a plan for getting to it safely.

Message to Mesk:
You sure you don't want to return? they'll be gone for quite a log time, some weeks maybe.

Message to Exploration teams:
Remember to contact base kamp from time to time so that you don't suddenly lose radio contact in a bad situation. Every hour or so should work.

Update map and distribute it to the teams.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:06:20 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13697 on: April 23, 2013, 11:09:24 am »

"Roger, Glorious Leader.  Are you still getting our suit feeds?"

((Note:  Changed my action to check my feed to make sure it's getting to you still.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13698 on: April 23, 2013, 12:22:39 pm »

Flint Westwood - Blue Squad - Sector 18

"Okay, since Bishop seems to be currently unresponsive I'll let you go. Just be careful with that laser. You heard what the priest said. One shot and this place will blow up like fireworks. In fact, now that I think about, nobody fire their engines, launch any drones, hit something, rub some wool on them or do anything else that can produce extreme heat or sparks."

Let Michael go.
Look for any repeating symbols (if is possible to discern some symbols), either in the same rod or different rods.
Open my exosuit's pilot hatch and touch my MKII's helmet on the tower so that the vibrations from it are transferred to me and cut my speakers (not literally). Do I hear\feel anything? Give the tower a small hit with my exosuit's hand (again, try not to damage it). Do I hear\feel anything interesting?
Reactivate speakers and close the pilot hatch.
Dig near the base of one of the towers as deep as I can (maybe half my height) or until I see something interesting. Do the carvings continue further inside the ground?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:39:59 pm by Parisbre56 »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13699 on: April 23, 2013, 01:32:52 pm »

((I believe this got lost in the noise: "Regarding the descriptions we had recently of the black forest, and the magma sea, some pictures would be really nice right now. The descriptions are really nice, but it's still kind of hard to visualize. Piecewise, is your sister still very busy? Or maybe Sean, could you maybe help out? We know you can draw."

TO BELOW: Why, I can just speech-check you into drawing. ;D No, but I can let someone know that a drawing would be cool to have. A simple "no" will suffice.))
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 02:44:55 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13700 on: April 23, 2013, 02:35:14 pm »

((I believe this got lost in the noise: "Regarding the descriptions we had recently of the black forest, and the magma sea, some pictures would be really nice right now. The descriptions are really nice, but it's still kind of hard to visualize. Piecewise, is your sister still very busy? Or maybe Sean, could you maybe help out? We know you can draw."))
((You can't force someone to draw.
Well, technically, you CAN force someone to draw, but I don't think it's right to do so.
However, now that you've mentioned it I AM working on a small drawing of my previous action (the "examining the rod" part, not the "corsair grabbing" part), although I don't think my drawing skills can compare to Sean or piecewise's sister. I'll post it soon, depending on how much time I have and how happy I am with it when it's finished.

EDIT: And now Firefox crashed (damn my too many tabs) and I have to rewrite my notes update. DAMN IT!

EDIT2: Oh well, looks like my shouting was for nothing. Only a small part of it was lost. It's up now.))
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 03:17:56 pm by Parisbre56 »

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13701 on: April 23, 2013, 05:36:54 pm »

@Vich: "So you do morally questionable things because it's apparently inevitable?" Zephyris paused a moment...He DID just make himself seem kinda responsible and consequent about his actions. But was it always unavoidable? .."I guess that's fine. Well, sort of. I understand that there are problems that cannot be solved with idealism alone no matter how much I'd prefer that. But..still..I guess I can't approve of it. Did you never ponder for a moment if there wasn't some other way?"
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13702 on: April 23, 2013, 06:23:28 pm »

Zephyris: "Are you joking?! Of course I did! What do you think I spent the last ten years of my life on?! Or the ten years before that for that matter? Or the...sorry, you've got no way of knowing those things. No, I spend a lot of time on that, even today.

And yes, there is always another way. More than one, usually. And I do not usually choose the one that leads to the most human death. But the alternative is often, much more often worse. And the choices that I made were pretty often... gut-wrenching. Although I've got my own share of funny stories with good endings, heh, you should ask me about them sometime. Both kinds. Adding humor to those things makes them more bearable. But you don't have to approve of what I did, hell, Flint doesn't and I said I bear him no ill. What I've done is mine and mine alone."

Was the last part really necessary? Well, it was true... kinda. But I really don't have anything against Flint on a personal level... Yet. And the last phrase... aiming a bit too high maybe? Sounds a bit cliche. But hell, I've said what I've said, can't take that back. ((Unless I edit the post, Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!))
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:27:55 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13703 on: April 23, 2013, 07:05:14 pm »

[GREEN TEAM]

Keep an eye on the uneven sections, and be wary for anything moving.

((Rule two of dungeon traps. Check the ceiling.))
You keep staring up, and eventually run into one of the towers as you walk forward with lars. Ow.  The uneven sections aren't moving...you think. It's really hard to tell from down here; hell, they might not actually exist, they might just be optical illusions. At the very least they don't charge down and attack you.

Do you guys just not keep
your own inventories or something? Since it seems like
whenever one person asks me about their inventory
suddenly 10 more people do

I sorta go by memory but i really just wanted confirmation as to what survived the volcanic zone.
Im pretty sure all i have left is my badass cleaver, another makeshift medkit, some food+water, a slightly melted pole and maybe a pda that i hope i left back at the base.

carve phallus into spire with cleaver, search for beetles.
You attempt to carve a dick into the tower but your attempts to do so come up fruitless. You can make tiny scratches, but whatever the towers are made of, it's quite hard. As per beetles, you don't see any in the immediate area, or anywhere around you really. But then again, the height and dense packed nature of the area means you're never seeing more then a few hundred feet in any one direction.

"Red team just wandered off so I just joined you guys because I had an Idea of where you were as wandering through lava lakes looking for my team is not my definition of a fun time. So what now?"
sit around looking sheepish
You sit around and try to look like something bishop would hallucinate about.

Green Taem

"Interesting."

Collect, stow, and label the sample.  Ensure suit feed is still going to base. Head on toward the center.  Praise the first god that comes to mind.

Lars addresses all teams.  "Mesk, perhaps before you leave, you could check the tops of these towers?"
You stuff the sample away and keep heading deeper into the towers along with your team. You don't get too much farther before something else happens.  Morul sees it first, movement somewhere high above, a barely visible shadow passing overhead. It looks like it's moving through the spaces between the towers, though it's hard to say exactly what it is. As it moves away you notice things falling down toward you. The group backs up, pressing themselves against the tower as a dozen more beetle shells hit the  ground  and crack apart.

Team Red - Lukas

"Okay, capturing those things is going to be a problem, I guess."

Wait for Simus to join the team.
Waiting, waiting,waiting.

Anton Chernozorov, Red Team technician.

Anton raises an eyebrow at the rock's properties. "That... is so incredibly handy. And correspondingly difficult to procure." He opens the radio comms again, speaking to the rest of the Red team.
"Chernozorov here, reporting progress. Flatlands are highly resistant to damage. The cause for this, as well as for their apparent frictionless properties, appears to be the ability to completely redirect or absorb any energy directed at them. I expect incredible practical applications for armor construction, if the aforementioned properties ever allow a sample to be collected. I don't have enough firepower to so much as chip the surface at the moment. Maybe with something heavier or some explosive charges.

In the meantime, I am proceeding to the center of the Sector Two anomaly. If I drop out of contact, you can find me or what's left of me over there. Chernozorov out.
"

Give the surface some experimental whacks with a rod to confirm that there is no bounce. Use the Red Hand and the chisel-rod to probe for the actual edge of the anomaly - see where the destructible rock ends, and the indestructible rock begins. Try to see how hard the actual transition is - if it's possible to chip off a piece of "near-indestructible" rock, do that and store it.

Check that the MPV's "drone steering" works. Afterwards, unhook the trailer, grab a canister of fuel, an extra drone, and the chisel-rod, and carefully roll the MPV out onto the flatland. Test how well the MPV steers like this. Then aim at where I think is the anomaly center, accelerate to about 5m/s and scoot along. Keep contact with the team by periodic progress messages, slow down and stop if the signal cuts off or there is some significant change in surroundings.

You confirm that the rod bounces a hell of a lot more then the ground. As per the edge of the zone, thats rather easy to see; the rock changes dramatically from broken and rough volcanic stone to ice smooth, lighter colored stone on a hard line. And from tests with the rod and laser, that hard line is exactly the dividing point between the two types of stone.

The Drone steering looks functional, at least in that it behaves like you would like it to. No telling what it will do once you're actually out there. OH WELL, ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT.

Initial tests go well. Acceleration and deceleration work fine, but turning is a bit tricky. It's like turning in a spaceship: you don't so much turn as rotate into a different direction and then accelerate that way. You think this might make precise steering rather difficult, especially at high speeds.

"Yeah, I think we've got it stabilized now. Flint made it pretty clear that he doesn't like me, but will work with me for the purposes of the mission. On my side, I bear him no ill. So as long as we avoid casual interaction, I think we'll be fine. It's just that Flint freaked out, because apparently I don't value the human life, and I wanted to make you haven't done the same, just silently."
"Well do you? Value human life I mean."

Heh, a good question. I wonder about that too. I suppose not. But with a lot of ifs and ad hoc decisions. But the real question is not whether I do or not, but how I should answer you. You see, it probably wouldn't be practical to give you a several weeks debate I have in my head, and it's not a simple issue. Hard to summarize.

And besides, I don't have to tell you the truth, do I? As a matter of fact, I don't. I just have to make myself look in as positive light as possible. Without any obviousness, of course.

"I do. But I also believe in things more important than life. And if the only way to cause change in UWM, the only way to deal with the Rebels, is human life, than I am prepared to follow it. I do not believe in being squirmish about it because my morals make it not okay for me to do it, but suddenly having somebody else do it is okay.

Most of all, I do not believe in standing back if something must happen and I agree with it. And that is what puts me at odds with most people."
(sign) Here I go, having to explain myself again. "Let me explain, if there is something that must be done, but has a black spot in it, most people focus on the positive, and try their best to ignore the dark spot. They delegate someone else to do the job. I believe in accepting the full package. So I suppose I did the dirty job." Twice.

((If the post is unclear, send me a PM, I'll edit it. Online conversations and all, can't see your expression if I'm speaking.))

Follow Bishop.
You set your brain on "Follow Bishop" and then stand around just like him.

Follow lars while keeping an eye out for anything that could be hostile to the group.

"You guys think that thing might be hostile? Or did we just get poo'd at?"

Base team

Team Red - Lukas

Message back:
Whatever looks interesting. If it seems getting something poses too great a risk, either leave it be or try to come up with a plan for getting to it safely.

Message to Mesk:
You sure you don't want to return? they'll be gone for quite a log time, some weeks maybe.

Message to Exploration teams:
Remember to contact base kamp from time to time so that you don't suddenly lose radio contact in a bad situation. Every hour or so should work.

Update map and distribute it to the teams.
You update and redistribute the map to the teams.

"wonder how long until someone falls off the top of one of those things..."

Flint Westwood - Blue Squad - Sector 18

"Okay, since Bishop seems to be currently unresponsive I'll let you go. Just be careful with that laser. You heard what the priest said. One shot and this place will blow up like fireworks. In fact, now that I think about, nobody fire their engines, launch any drones, hit something, rub some wool on them or do anything else that can produce extreme heat or sparks."

Let Michael go.
Look for any repeating symbols (if is possible to discern some symbols), either in the same rod or different rods.
Open my exosuit's pilot hatch and touch my MKII's helmet on the tower so that the vibrations from it are transferred to me and cut my speakers (not literally). Do I hear\feel anything? Give the tower a small hit with my exosuit's hand (again, try not to damage it). Do I hear\feel anything interesting?
Reactivate speakers and close the pilot hatch.
Dig near the base of one of the towers as deep as I can (maybe half my height) or until I see something interesting. Do the carvings continue further inside the ground?

You see what you think are repeating patterns, or at least what appear to be that way. It's a bit like how "v, w, and y" have repeating patterns in their construction, you see repeating structures, but you're still not able to tell what, if anything, constitutes a "Letter" of sorts.

You can feel no vibration in the towers, so if it's there, it's too minor for you to pick up physically. 

The stone around the base is quite hard; you can't just jam your fingers in and start digging, exosuit or not. But careful examination of the bottom of the towers reveals that the designs don't seem to extend underground. In fact, they stop roughly a half an inch above the ground.

http://imgur.com/TOZH98z

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13704 on: April 23, 2013, 07:16:17 pm »

((Would this be a good time to get a formalized system for what to do when a player (a leader of the team!) suddenly disappears? I don't want to pick on Bishop, but we're kind of strangled here, so maybe we should have something decided for what to do? Like having a person ready to RP each and every one of us (or just leaders) in case of something, to allow us to move forward even without the Leader (like if three of us say advance with Leader, we automatically advance as a team even if the Leader is absent). Or something. Ideas?

Speaking of that, I wouldn't mind if Jim could order Ashley around in the last mission. It would help the team, and I don't think anyone would metagame that.))
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:17:48 pm by Thearpox »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13705 on: April 23, 2013, 08:43:54 pm »

Quote from: Mesk Vraite | Message to: Miyamoto de Bergerac
Weeks?  Really?  I didn't know that.  I'm going to come home then.
Setting his radio to broadcast to the Blue and Green Teams, Mesk says "Attention passengers, Air Vraite is heading home for now.  Let me know when you decide to head home.  Also let me know if there's anything you want me to do from the air right now."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13706 on: April 23, 2013, 08:49:13 pm »

Lars held up his hands to stop the team.  "Brothers, I think we should confer with our superiors before proceeding further.  Let's back up, shall we?"

Lars then set back to leader coms.  "Glorious leader, there appears to be... something living up near the tops of these towers.  It may be aware of our presence.  What are our orders in regards to plumbing the depths of these mysteries- is this a cursory investigation, or are we to push on despite risks?"

He then sent a response to Mesk.  "Be advised that there may be something living at the top of the towers."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13707 on: April 23, 2013, 08:54:33 pm »

Code: (Auron kell to Mesk Vraite) [Select]
could you grab us a quick video scan of the top of these towers on your way out?
Grab the most intact beetle remains and enough fragments to hopefully reassemble the entire exoskeleton, then await further indtructions.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:56:41 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13708 on: April 23, 2013, 08:56:41 pm »

[GREEN TEAM]

"I knew it! I'm not nuts! Now, what are they?"

Keep an eye out for more falling things, and, if not, examine the shells, and if no signs of "life" are detected, pick one up.

((I will be heading off on a trip for three days, with little to no internet, so I pass control of Morul to Toaster.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13709 on: April 23, 2013, 08:59:05 pm »

((Would this be a good time to get a formalized system for what to do when a player (a leader of the team!) suddenly disappears? I don't want to pick on Bishop, but we're kind of strangled here, so maybe we should have something decided for what to do? Like having a person ready to RP each and every one of us (or just leaders) in case of something, to allow us to move forward even without the Leader (like if three of us say advance with Leader, we automatically advance as a team even if the Leader is absent). Or something. Ideas?

Speaking of that, I wouldn't mind if Jim could order Ashley around in the last mission. It would help the team, and I don't think anyone would metagame that.))

((I nominated a backup in case of in-game death.  It's probably a good idea for others to do so.  But yeah, if I ever disappear suddenly for 3+ days, I pass control off to Radio Controlled since he's team lead.))

[GREEN TEAM]

"I knew it! I'm not nuts! Now, what are they?"

Keep an eye out for more falling things, and, if not, examine the shells, and if no signs of "life" are detected, pick one up.

((I will be heading off on a trip for three days, with little to no internet, so I pass control of Morul to Toaster.))

((Noted.  You leaving now?))
Pages: 1 ... 912 913 [914] 915 916 ... 1256