Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 [1177] 1178 1179 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3832295 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Combat Teams
« Reply #17640 on: December 21, 2013, 07:19:14 pm »

"Roger."

"Oh, one more thing, I have a few grenades, including one made of that really heavy oxidizer.  Anyone want that grenade?"

Descend. {s}

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17641 on: December 21, 2013, 11:12:36 pm »

Is Miyamoto's team doing anything? If not, then join up with the amp team to help them, should Miya not disapprove. If so, follow.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17642 on: December 21, 2013, 11:42:43 pm »

Teal took a quick look at the hole... That would go REALLY well with a grenade in it. Too bad he didn't bring any.

Retrieve cutter, follow Xan into second level, place cutter on next level down

((The cutter already cut down multiple levels, plus the fact that it's bigger than the hole it cut, and the fact that Miyamoto needed to carry it means that you can't move the cutter even if you needed to.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17643 on: December 22, 2013, 08:28:20 am »

We're supposed to be preparing defences, eh?
Dig a trench, with my pick.
"Hey, what the hell are you doing? You're not supposed to be digging any trenches! Didn't you even listen to the briefing? Just get over to those anomalies and start mapping them. Seriously, it's not that hard. Don't bother digging trenches or constructing fortifications, we can use robots or heavy machinery later this year to do that infinitely faster than you could with just a pick."

Is Miyamoto's team doing anything? If not, then join up with the amp team to help them, should Miya not disapprove. If so, follow.
"And you, where do you think you're going? None of you are leaving before we finish our job up here, which is to first locate the anomalies created by the Grate incident, then determine up to where they go so nobody stumbles into one on their morning jog or something.

So, all of you, help me with mapping these anomalies, and once we're completely done with our sweep above ground then you can join Jim's/Morul's team. Any more questions?"

Sigh, then start going to the anomalous zones, rock throwing all the way. Once there, start to mark the boundaries of the weird zones. Use rock throwing method if possible. Direct team members to do the same so we can do it faster. If we have nothing on hand to mark it, use manip to raise a small 'wall' to indicate where the dangerous area is.

If I'm allowed to also talk with Steve-O after all that, ask following:

>As per that invasion; we've got a ton of laser cannon batteries around the planet to prevent them from just flying in and nuking us, so they're probably gonna try and come in where there's the least amount of overlap in their coverage and hotdrop forces in. Luckily I know where those places are, so we can plan for it. Or, we can attempt to make the coverage of the laser batteries more complete. It might limit the number coming down,  but they also might lead their assault with hotdrop ships armed with nukes and that could get messy.

"You know, I think we could bend this to our advantage. If we know where they're most likely to drop, we can prepare some surprises for them there, like a nice minefield or artillery and turrets hidden under the surface of the planet. If their imaging capabilities are good enough, we can make it seem like some areas were still under construction by placing a few half-finished laser batteries there. You think this could work?"

>You weren't around for any of the hotdrops where you? Hmm If you know about the china-9 Drop, they're similar to those batteries but a bit better. They're designed to take out anything in the air, ships, missiles, whatever. And they're very good at it, but they're not perfect.

Put simply, we're gonna cut the numbers, but we're not gonna get rid of them completely.
"Nope, I've been lucky enough to not be deployed via hotdrop until now. I looked up that mission in VR though, nasty business.

So, those batteries, are they also capable of shooting at the enemy's ships while they're still in space? If yes, what is their range, and are they powerful enough to destroy them, or at least keep them from closing in? From what you said earlier I'm guessing they are more than powerful enough, but it'd be nice to know how far away we can keep their ships.
Also, do the batteries have any sort of defenses against ground assaults, and how much overlap is there between them for this area? Mostly asking to know if we'll have to defend them once the enemy has dropped, and if disabling one battery will allow them to drop in reinforcements in that area with impunity. Oh, and how resistant to damage are those batteries? Could they survive a nuke if it explodes at far enough range? what about kinetic strikes or an EMP, is it hardened against those?

Now, if those batteries won't be capable of stopping all the invaders if they drop in force, what's stopping us from nuking their invasion force while it's still dropping? That would take care of most of 'em, and we've got plenty nukes anyways. Related to that, how good are our imaging capabilities? How much warning will we have that their fleet is here, and how soon will we know that they're launching their attack? Because if we can spot it soon enough, then nuking their invasion force as it is dropping and shooting the survivors should prevent them from ever making planetfall."

Orbital and near orbital level nukes we can handle. The force coming shouldn't have an outrageous number of them and even if we can't get them all, we'll prioritize the most dangerous ones.  Really, this is just gonna be the standard defense force coming back. Either they're not gonna expect any resistance or, worst comes to worst, they'll expect a worker rebellion. They're not gonna have planet killer systems or anything; those haven't been used since the altered war anyways. The UWM rarely glasses a planet any more. Not since the Red moon Rebellion.
"So, if I understand this correct, the ships coming for us will be ships designed for anti-ship warfare, and not planetary invasion, correct? Will they be able to deliver any sort of non-nuclear orbital bombardment? Like, using their anti-ship gauss or laser weapons as long-range artillery? Cause if yes, I don't know if our defensive batteries would be of much help against that. Unless our laser batteries can keep them at bay of course.

And what makes you think the UWM isn't on to us by now? Surely they don't think the attack on several major planets was some freak accident. And if you know for certain they're still clueless, how much longer could we keep up that charade? How much longer would you like to? In that regard, are there any places where the opening assault didn't go as planned? Did we lose anywhere?"

((Note to self: finally take time to research Red moon Rebellion when there's some down time.
Y'know, the more I think about this, the more I'm convinced the UWM won't be able to ever get even one boot on the ground. And that surviving their invasion might not be the biggest problem.))

That depends on its condition when the time comes. The sword is nothing to scoff at, but this is space combat we're talking about here. It's notoriously fatal, even with a ship as powerful as ours. We do, however, have access to a planet sized manufacturing and research system and none of the qualms of using xeno and xeno derived tech that the UWM does. We could attempt to upgrade the sword and make her a more of a match against these greater odds.

"Well, I was asking cause I was worried that, once we repel the initial attack, those UWM warships could form a blockade around this planet, preventing us from continuing our conquest. Hell, they wouldn't even need to defend everywhere, only the approaches to those weird 'hyperspace jump points' we use for FTL travel. And since that fleet is built for anti-ship warfare, I'm not sure we could just punch through without considerable losses or damage, formidable as the Sword may be. Not without more ships that is. And if the enemy has even half a brain, they'll be shooting at us the minute any ship lifts off and breaks atmosphere. That's why having the Sword in space might help, so that it could get away if worst comes to worst, or if the defense of the planet fails. Because holding this planet, even if it can built a lot of stuff very fast, won't be enough to win this war, we can't let ourselves get boxed in. "
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 10:11:11 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17644 on: December 22, 2013, 08:40:25 am »

"Well, I was asking cause I was worried that, once we repel the initial attack, those UWM warships could form a blockade around this planet, preventing us from continuing our conquest. Hell, they wouldn't even need to defend everywhere, only the approaches to those weird 'hyperspace jump points' we use for FTL travel. And since that fleet is built for anti-ship warfare, I'm not sure we could just punch through without considerable losses or damage, formidable as the Sword may be. Not without more ships that is. And if the enemy has even half a brain, they'll be shooting at us the minute any ship lifts off and breaks atmosphere. That's why having the Sword in space might help, so that it could get away if worst comes to worst, or if the defense of the planet fails. Because holding this planet, even if it can built a lot of stuff very fast, won't be enough to win this war, we can't let ourselves get boxed in. "
Teal, listening in on what is probably a closed communication happening within the torso of a gigantic sound-insulated metal man, waves a hand as though to say If only we could cover our ship in the stealth-scales the UE use.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17645 on: December 22, 2013, 10:48:49 am »

We're supposed to be preparing defences, eh?
Dig a trench, with my pick.
"Hey, what the hell are you doing? You're not supposed to be digging any trenches! Didn't you even listen to the briefing? Just get over to those anomalies and start mapping them. Seriously, it's not that hard. Don't bother digging trenches or constructing fortifications, we can use robots or heavy machinery later this year to do that infinitely faster than you could with just a pick."
Yes sir giant robot!
Map the anomalies. Start with the shadow pillar. Throw rocks.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17646 on: December 22, 2013, 11:09:48 am »

Map away! With rock-throwing, of course.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17647 on: December 22, 2013, 03:02:23 pm »

Slowly circle the hole twice, looking down inside for any hidden dangers and gauging the safest descent route, then go down one floor and look around at my surroundings. repeat until I find cause for alarm. Yowl if I find something problematic and stay away from it.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17648 on: December 22, 2013, 06:30:40 pm »

((Random fact- Denzel has only fired one shot in an actual mission so far in the game. That one shot was shortly before we was killed by a giant electrified robot. And subsequently became a robot.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17649 on: December 22, 2013, 07:00:12 pm »

((Robots are like zombies: if you're killed by one, you become one.))
((Also, didn't Denzel fight Ivan?))
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 07:01:50 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17650 on: December 22, 2013, 07:31:32 pm »

((Not if most of the body survives.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17651 on: December 22, 2013, 10:09:34 pm »

((Robots are like zombies: if you're killed by one, you become one.))
((Also, didn't Denzel fight Ivan?))
((He did, but it doesn't really count because a, it was on the Sword, b, it was with his monoatomic sword, and finally- he missed. The other shot was with a hand laser, and didn't really do much damage. Though I will note that being a robot let me survive that battle far easier than I would have were I a flesh and blood human at the time. I took a foot through the gut, and crawled to the AM to be saved.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17652 on: December 23, 2013, 08:58:04 am »

"Sure, sure. Better hope there's something to shoot at instead of a series of traps and anomalies coincidentally devised to pick us off one at a time." Milno says, crossing his arms behind his head and activating the buzz mode to leisurely follow the amp cleanup team.

Follow amp cleanup team.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #17653 on: December 23, 2013, 01:07:30 pm »

Check out the mustard gas anomaly. Throw rocks, and don't approach too closely.

Spoiler: Gorat 'Chin' Ivanos (click to show/hide)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17654 on: December 23, 2013, 11:17:49 pm »

(( I'm going to talk in this font from now on so it'll be easier to distinguish myself from anyone else who uses this color ))

Announce myself, so that I don't get shot. Inspect area and see who's around

Hello everyone! My name's Thaddeus, I'm one of the new meatshields recruits. I was told something about a biomass of terror that needs to be killed? Or has that been taken care of already?
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 [1177] 1178 1179 ... 1256