Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3827398 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 6: I Have no legs and I must Hike.
« Reply #6270 on: August 11, 2012, 12:26:53 pm »

(I'll just let you all know that a good way to indicate which roll you want to do  is "Think about X" for a int roll, "Examine x" to just look at it, and something like "Try to determine the use of X" or "Consider what x means" or the like for Intuition rolls.)

Examine the damage to the monofilament to determine if a field repair is possible, if so, try it, if not, resheathe the wristblade and take a closer look at the metal objects.
[aux:3-1]
You stare at the blade for a few seconds before just retracting it and taking another look at the dumbbell. [int:6]
Clearly a gym machine.

Carefully take and examine the metal thing, then put it inside a container.

Get another tablet, one with writings on it, blank if none of the former are found. Keep exploring afterwards.

You grab the metal thing and look at it. You don't see much new that you didn't see before, except the attachment thing that looks like it should be attached to a cord or something. You put it away before going after a tablet. You can't see any writing on any of them, so you go for the top one.
[dex:4+1]
You pick up the tablet and place it carefully in one of your containers.

You head out of the room and up to the next room. It's been badly damaged; it lacks both the outer wall and much of the inner walls have been scoured with huge gouges.

Investigate rest of room. Look for artifacts.
You look around carefully, scouring the remnants of the alcoves for anything interesting. There are a few bits of razor tree metal but nothing that looks important.

Take one of the blank tablets, in pieces if necessary. Head back down and up third ramp.
[dex:2+1]
The tablet crumbles in your hand, so you just kind of slide the chunks into the container. That done, you head back out and down the ramp to the ground floor before going up the third ramp. The first room is sort of odd looking: It's almost like the sandstone has melted like ice, drooping and soughing down the walls. There is a similar, though deformed, large alcove in one corner of the room. This one though, is full of something black.

Quietly whistle a merry tune as I rest my legs. Look out for the Lighteater or any other signs of local fauna/population approaching us.
I don't suppose you need my help in exploring these ruins, right? All in all, given the size and the state of this place, three or five people seems pretty much enough.

Using my suit's memory, try to recall the conversations I missed while I was unconscious.
You don't see anything around in the area, beyond some of your teammates wandering around in the tower. With nothing else to do you start poking away at your suit to try and see what you missed.
[aux:3+1]
You manage to pull up the audio logs but not video. (you now have a knowledge of all the conversations that went on while you were out.)

Examine my surroundings, then go back down to the fourth floor and examine it as well.
The ramp your on actually continues all the way  up to the top, but has a rather large section missing between where you are and the rest of it. Many of the other ramps are the same; reaching the top but missing large connecting sections. Beyond that and the fact that you are stomach churningly high up with no guard rails or safety lines, there's not much to see. The walls are all smooth and uninteresting where there isn't damage or those small texture things-like on the monoliths-outside every door.

You head back down to the fourth room and look around. You don't see anything of interest.

If you say so. I'll be there in a minute, then.
Slowly and carefully approach the Tower, in order not to burden my injured legs as little as possible.
You hobble to the tower slowly, thankful you're not in a rush or carrying anything heavy; you're not sure you could handle such a thing. You make it to the tower's entrance and lean against it to rest for a moment.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: August 11, 2012, 12:30:39 pm »

Examine black thing/stuff. Try to determine its use.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: August 11, 2012, 12:51:29 pm »

Consider what the objects could have been for, on the assumption that whatever was here "saw" by sound or vibration.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: August 11, 2012, 01:10:22 pm »

Follow Faith, try to determine what the black stuff could be used for.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: August 11, 2012, 01:19:52 pm »

Take a chunk of tree metal, head back down. Then, go up a stairwell that is unexplored

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6275 on: August 11, 2012, 01:48:04 pm »

Continue walking towards Simus. Think about the (original) purpose of this place.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6276 on: August 11, 2012, 02:46:00 pm »

Hobble further down to the third floor room and examine it.

"I have to wonder... of all possible structures, how useful is a tower in a world like this? It obviously does not work as a lookout. As a defensive structure, maybe, but considering the pit shades and the Wyrm, I'm doubtful. As a shelter, perhaps, but why a tower, then? Perhaps things will get clearer at the citadel.

And who built it? Given the ramps, some kind of mini-wyrms? But they'd need some kind of hands, too...
"
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6277 on: August 11, 2012, 02:50:49 pm »

"I have to wonder... of all possible structures, how useful is a tower in a world like this? It obviously does not work as a lookout. As a defensive structure, maybe, but considering the pit shades and the Wyrm, I'm doubtful. As a shelter, perhaps, but why a tower, then? Perhaps things will get clearer at the citadel.

And who built it? Given the ramps, some kind of mini-wyrms? But they'd need some kind of hands, too...
"
"Maybe it's residential, and they built it as a tower to save space."

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: August 11, 2012, 02:55:30 pm »

"It doesn't seem like the building density is very high here, so the costs per square-feet can't have been too high. I actually considered an experiment to search for other buildings in the surrounding region with our ropes, but the Wyrm makes that too dangerous."
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: August 11, 2012, 03:04:04 pm »

"It doesn't seem like the building density is very high here, so the costs per square-feet can't have been too high. I actually considered an experiment to search for other buildings in the surrounding region with our ropes, but the Wyrm makes that too dangerous."
"Maybe whatever built them was as afraid of the wildlife as we are. Or, what if those trees were ruins of collapsed buildings, the forest was a slum, and this was a higher wealth area.."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6280 on: August 11, 2012, 04:43:13 pm »

"
"That's a good question. Maybe the method of construction favored a single vertical slab? Given that his appears to be hewn from bedrock, it makes sense that there could be some unusual limitations or preferences.

As for who... given the delicacy of these tablets, it's probably something shade-like or at least a lot more subtle than us, yes. Trouble is, we still don't know enough about anything here to make distinctions between life forms. 'Looks like a shade' could be the equivalent to 'has a spine' on our world."

"Speaking of the Wyrm, I thought we'd be seeing it more. Conrad said it followed him, but didn't we hear it just that once?

Also, a sweep of the surroundings would be a very good idea, if we've got the lights for it. Kind of dubious about that, though..."
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6281 on: August 11, 2012, 07:52:35 pm »

Examine black thing/stuff. Try to determine its use.
You walk over to the large alcove and look at the black substance. It looks like sort of fluid or tarry substance, black as india ink and completely clean of sand or dust. It looks so perfectly flat and settled that it could almost be a solid lump of polished basalt.
[intuition:2]
You can't fathom what it is or what it's used for.

Consider what the objects could have been for, on the assumption that whatever was here "saw" by sound or vibration.
[intuition:4]
You sit down next to one of the barbells and stare at it for a while, waiting for inspiration. The first thought that hits you is that the object could have produced tones via striking the upper weight against the lower one. That might have been used as some sort of automated echolocation.

Follow Faith, try to determine what the black stuff could be used for.

You run down your ramp, up faith's and into the room she's in, sliding in behind her. You take a look at the weird fluid she's looking at. [intuition:2] You have no idea what the hell this is.

Take a chunk of tree metal, head back down. Then, go up a stairwell that is unexplored
You grab a chunk of the blunt metal and then head back down to the ground floor. You select the first ramp, seeing as it's unexplored, and head on up. The first room has nothing, as does the second, and the ramp ends just before the third. It looks like you could jump to the third from here, but...it's kinda a long way down.

Continue walking towards Simus. Think about the (original) purpose of this place.

You wander inside and look around at all the ramps going up, not sure where Simus is. You take a breather to think about this place and what it might have been created for.[int:5] Well, you don't know much about this place except what you've heard from the people exploring it, but judging from the walls it was probably some sort of fortified position or living space. Maybe the equivalent of a castle? Then again, you don't really know if those walls were for decoration...hell, humans have all those damn superfluous columns and molding, those walls could be the same.

"
The third room has nothing of interest in it, all it's alcoves are empty.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6282 on: August 11, 2012, 08:23:38 pm »

"Hey, Milno. We need some poles right here to make a little bridge."
Ask Milno to borrow the poles.
If Thomas can use the poles, put two down to make footrails. If Milno dosen't let him, look around the rooms for anything that could be used in such a manner.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6283 on: August 11, 2012, 09:07:00 pm »

Miss Ferratum-Inanis, may I inquire on the way to your current location? Presented with these many ramps, I am at a loss. Maurice half-joked.
Take the path I'm (hopefully) told. Do some simple math on how big the inhabitants (or visitors) of this place could've been, judging by the height of the ceiling, angle and size of the ramps, etc.
((@piecewise Just trying to vary my actions. Is this approach to requesting Int rolls acceptable? ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6284 on: August 11, 2012, 09:34:43 pm »

"Oh hell," Faith said in a hushed whisper, trying to simultaneously examine and stay away from the black... thing. "I don't like the look of this at all- could it be one of those creatures sleeping? Or maybe food or something... but this looks just like that geyser before it... differentiated. I assumed it was just hard to see the different creatures, but it could be that they, uh, liquefy."

Think about the ink.
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 1256